Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommendations for replacement microswitches on a Happs super joystick  (Read 2087 times)

Shieldwolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 12:48:53 am
  • SpearShield.com
So I have some old happs competition joysticks I want to move over to a new project. They're in great shape, but I need to replace the  rmicro switches and the leaves that comes with them. Any recommendations? From looking around online it sounds like the new happs is not the way to go.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:10:35 am by Shieldwolf »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Cherry switches are the best, but they were designed for heavy arcade use so honestly just search for microswitches on ebay or amazon and anything that comes up with a decent price will be fine. 

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
Thanks Howard.
One last question. Most micro switches I find don't have the longer metal leaf on the top that the joystick hits at angles. Is there a name for that actuator? Picture below is an example of what I'm talking about.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:39:00 am by Shieldwolf »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:00 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com

Competitions don't use those kind of switches, but they are called levers.

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
Here are mine. The other was reference only. Though it is concerning that it was listed as a happs competition joystick.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:31:06 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Maybe the seller meant that the joystick was competitive?

To me, that looks like a Happ Super without the actuator or c-clip, although I'm no expert.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Yeah there should be a square actuator on there and regular switches if I haven't gotten my sticks mixed up again.

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
First, can I say it's been a long time since I have been on these forums and it warmed my heart that the first two responses were from Howard and Randy T.  Thank you gentlemen for the help.

Second, Don't worry about he stick with green switches. I'm not buying it/them. It really was just to get a photo of a "lever on a micro switch".

My joystick is the one with the rat nest wires. Yes the actuator is missing at the bottom in the photo, I am taking contorller apart. It is a competition joystick from happs unless happs sent me the wrong joystick back in 2004.

Those are the original switches with levers that came with it. I just wanted to know if there was a specific recommendation for a similar switch with a lever. I went to the happs site to see what switches they recommended.  I could literally buy a new joystick for the same price (crazy!).

So any recommendations for switches with the neededlever or good site that would have them at a reasonable price would be greatly appreciated.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
Nah if you look at regular switches they actually have the slot molded in for the lever so it'll literally be the same switch except for that blade.  I don't know if randy carries anything like that or not.... I just head on the old eBay and filter to north America only so I don't have to wait three weeks to get them. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:31:06 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
It's definitely not a competition joystick, as they have a square actuator and no levers. You ordered directly from Happ back in 2004? I did the same at nearly the same time, probably back in 2005. Bad luck if they sent you the wrong sticks and you didn't notice. However, the super joysticks are also excellent. It's just that the lever switches will probably run a bit higher than normal switches, as the lever ones are less common.

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
Modifying the original post.

Well you guys aren't wrong. They are in fact supers, but it's funny they don't have the shorter fat tops but the longer thinner competition style oval tops. did the supers come with those?   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:15:45 am by Shieldwolf »

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
Re: Recommendations for replacement microswitches on a Happs super joystick
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 07:19:56 am »
Maybe someone customised it. The Happ Competition and Super handles are somewhat interchangeable. They have the same diameter but slightly different distances from the pivot point to the first groove. However, I've managed to swap them over in the past by using washers to pad out the distance from the pivot point to one of the grooves.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Shieldwolf

• Offline Offline
  • SpearShield.com
Re: Recommendations for replacement microswitches on a Happs super joystick
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 11:27:34 am »
These were a straight happs purchase so doesn't seem likely. For what it's worth I think they're great.