Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have a weird question about scaling  (Read 1178 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
I have a weird question about scaling
« on: September 27, 2020, 10:50:44 pm »

Bear with me   ;D

So I have a fantasy project I want to do one day. One of the features will be a small LCD monitor that will be showing just a portion of the game screen. Imma be all secretive about what it is but just so people get what I'm aiming for it could be showing just a section of the main screen where the score is.

What I'm hoping is to game some sort of scaling hardware such that only about 1/6 of the total screen area shows on the lil monitor. That would be the first step. The next would be to be able to move that image on the lil monitor so that it's the high score section you see.

Confused?  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

nexusmtz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
Re: I have a weird question about scaling
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 10:53:34 pm »
I pull live scores in MAME with a .lay file, but that's not hardware, and it's MAME only. Can you maybe use an OBS scene with a capture input?

Are you looking for an out-of-the-box solution? Hard to tell what you're asking for when you don't really ask anything. :)

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 01:20:28 am »
Not mame. It's a console powered project. Basically want a small LCD that has part of the main monitor image zoomed up. Maybe I'll have to just use a camera aimed at the part of the screen I want to focus on...

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 10:01:24 am »
I wonder if there's some software designed for streaming that could handle this. They usually are setup to capture video from a single application (or full screen), and let you crop certain areas of it. If you could then direct output to a specific display it might do what you need.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 06:39:43 pm »
That sounds promising. Because I'm not that technical with this sort of thing I didn't even know what to ask for! Just so happens I know someone who set up some donkey Kong cabs for live streaming. He might be able to point me in the right direction 🙂

But otherwise, I experimented with my mobile phone and a scanner at work. Even with that scanners screen size I was able to get a pretty good picture of just 1/6 of the scanners screen. So camera to LCD works ok. I'm guessing camera to CRT would be trickier because of the scan lines