Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Brand new setup, starting from scratch.  (Read 2133 times)

P-chan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2022, 12:39:40 am
Brand new setup, starting from scratch.
« on: September 27, 2020, 09:58:01 pm »
I haven't built a cab in about 10 years, but I have the itch again, so I'm starting to get things together.  My main use will be MAME, and I would like to have a bunch of classics available without much fluff.  I won't be emulating consoles or anything just yet.

I'll be using an older i7 laptop with a busted screen but a good mobile graphics card (it will run Rocket League at around 30fps on low settings), so I don't expect to have much trouble there.

Like I said, it's been about 10 years since I've messed with MAME.  I see MAME 0.224 just came out, is this the one to get?  How's ROM compatibility if I dig out 10 year old ROMs I still have floating around? 

What about a front-end?  I'd like an easy way to hide/show games in the select menu and have something nice to look at during the selection screen. 

I've been reading but I haven't seen a "starting from scratch" thread in a while.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:15:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Brand new setup, starting from scratch.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 10:31:08 pm »
How's ROM compatibility if I dig out 10 year old ROMs I still have floating around? 
Don't bother trying -- too many changes.

None of the old CHDs will be compatible -- IIRC the format for CHDs has changed twice since then.

Your best bet is to find a recent known version ROMset (i.e. something like "MAME v0.218 ROMs", not "14,397 MAME ROMs") then get the matching version of whichever flavor of MAME you want to use. (regular MAME, GroovyMAME, MAMEUI, etc.)

Scott

P-chan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 10:35:35 pm »
I seem to remember this being the same advice I got 10 years ago.  "Find a good versioned ROMset and then get the MAME ver to match".

Glad to see things are consistent! :cheers:

P-chan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 09:00:05 am »
How's ROM compatibility if I dig out 10 year old ROMs I still have floating around? 
Don't bother trying -- too many changes.

None of the old CHDs will be compatible -- IIRC the format for CHDs has changed twice since then.

Your best bet is to find a recent known version ROMset (i.e. something like "MAME v0.218 ROMs", not "14,397 MAME ROMs") then get the matching version of whichever flavor of MAME you want to use. (regular MAME, GroovyMAME, MAMEUI, etc.)

Scott

So I found a good 0.224 romset (split, about 70GB).  Do I also need the 279MB bios-devices set?  There is a "MAME 0.224 CHDs (merged)" but it's 500GB, and from what I've read, CHD games often don't work, are there any good classics that I will miss if I don't get the CHD pack?

Thanks again!

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 09:27:48 am »
The only ones I know of that are worthwhile are Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Alien vs Predator, Blitz, Fisherman's Bait 1 & 2, Killer Instinct, and Gauntlet Dark Legacy.   Lightguns - Area 51 and CarnEvil.

I am not sure if Blitz requires 49 way sticks in MAME.  I think the Dreamcast version plays better but I havent researched the topic of Blitz in years.

P-chan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 10:04:18 am »
The only ones I know of that are worthwhile are Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Alien vs Predator, Blitz, Fisherman's Bait 1 & 2, Killer Instinct, and Gauntlet Dark Legacy.   Lightguns - Area 51 and CarnEvil.

I am not sure if Blitz requires 49 way sticks in MAME.  I think the Dreamcast version plays better but I havent researched the topic of Blitz in years.

I definitely want SF3rd Strike, AVP, and Killer Instinct, so thanks!  I'm assuming I don't have to download the entire 500GB CHD bundle but can select individual files from the torrent browser...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:15:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 12:27:08 pm »
Do I also need the 279MB bios-devices set?
Yes.

CHD games often don't work, are there any good classics that I will miss if I don't get the CHD pack?
Download just the CHDs that you want, but before you do check if they are working well enough to bother. (i.e. Is something like the "sound imperfect" flag on Simpsons Bowling a deal-breaker for you?)

Scott

P-chan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 02:13:15 pm »
Thanks for your help, I've tested all my CHD games and they're running great except for Gauntlet Dark legends.  Currently I have (CHD games) working:

ikaruga
jojo
kinst
kinst2
samspsen
sfiii
sfiii2
sfiii3