Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build from scratch, or mod an old cab?  (Read 1237 times)

THRobinson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 05:11:31 pm
  • Early stages of my first build!
Build from scratch, or mod an old cab?
« on: September 27, 2020, 04:07:05 pm »
I was on here 2yrs ago, posted a SketchUp design I made for a cab, bought switches and controllers and got a RetroPie all setup and ready to go... and this happened and that and never got it built.

Got a few projects on the go, but have some time, and debating to build it, or go with an old cab that's a bit rough.

Local(ish) person has an early 90s Tataio Shinobi cab for sale, $200CAD... bit rough, gutted, but still has the marquee, plastic around the monitor, controller and coin box. Monitor and game guts are gone. Not sure if the rest is worth anything on eBay.

Is it just as easy to build one as it is to take the time to mod and clean up an old one? Would I really be saving much money?

Also, tried looking online, didn't see it but, does anyone sell full size artwork thats not precut into shape? Like, just a rectangular sheet you cut yourself with generic artwork?
Self design cabinet, using a Samsung 204B 4:3 LCD, and RaspberryPi 3B+  running RetroPi.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Build from scratch, or mod an old cab?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:03:01 pm »
I know 200 CAD is not a lot of money, but for a carcass cabinet it depends if you like Shinobi and you just want to populate the control panel with your Pi bits with a Goodwill Dell 4:3 monitor.  Pretty cheap solution really.

I know I will get a lot of flap for suggesting an 1up cabinet, but they are easy to move around, and with the pandemic going into round two with no end in sight, there will be motivated sellers.  Not sure that 200 CAD will be enough to get one, but might be the better option size wise.

At the end of the day the choice is yours, but this is BYOAC after all and I am sure you can get that price down to 150 CAD.  Don't think about it too long though.  ;D

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 06:51:59 pm »
Personally, I think it is easier to build from scratch instead of trying to fix up a junker.  Plus, you get to make it exactly how you want it to be with no compromises because it's just what you have to work with.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:10:56 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 10:41:57 pm »
I'm not going to be much help. I've built two cabs but some of the conversions/restos I've seen on here are fantastic and were clearly quite rewarding to do.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 08:09:44 am »
I almost always prefer to mod an existing cabinet. So much quicker and  usually saves money. The trick is finding the right donor cab to start.

THRobinson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2021, 05:11:31 pm
  • Early stages of my first build!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 01:33:32 am »
Told the guy no thanks. Sold almost an hour later so, no going back now. :D

Thinking of how much time I spent learning Sketchup so I could design that thing was kinda the winning factor.

October already... I better look at buying some wood. Most of it's fine, but the sides I will definitely need to cut outside.
Self design cabinet, using a Samsung 204B 4:3 LCD, and RaspberryPi 3B+  running RetroPi.