Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Plywood vs Hardwood.  (Read 6503 times)

jimfath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 02:58:31 am
  • IT consultant
Plywood vs Hardwood.
« on: September 26, 2020, 07:53:43 pm »
I have been making portable arcade panels with Pi's inside that are plug and play with tvs.

Previously, I've made them out of 3/4" plywood. I'm wondering if I could get away with 1/2" hard wood to save space and weight but be also rugged enough to travel.

@jimfath

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Re: Plywood vs Hardwood.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 02:35:38 pm »
I would advise you to stick with the plywood. Regular hardwood is much more susceptible to warping. Not only that but you will have a lot harder time finishing the edge unless you want to use tiny t-molding. If this is just for fun there is no reason you cant do it, but if you are selling them and want durability and what not I would not do that...

thomashenry

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 03:55:21 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Plywood vs Hardwood.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 04:17:09 am »
You won't really save any space by going from a 3/4 inch material to a 1/2. You would save weight, though. But if you are thinking of going thinner, why not 1/2 plywood? Working with real wood requires you to understand the fundamentals of joinery - grain direction, wood movement, expansion, contraction etc, rather than just screwing sheets together. I've made cabinets out of real wood using traditional joinery techniques, but the process is very different to the standard aracde cab build.