Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RGB to component Conversion kits???  (Read 7701 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
RGB to component Conversion kits???
« on: September 24, 2020, 08:35:48 pm »
I know lots of us have nice CRTs with component connections. I’ve been thinking about doing the RBG mod but at the end of the day I don’t think there’s that big of a difference between RGBAnd component. The question is are these cheap ones that you can buy worth it for your home video game collection?

Mostly looking for cheap little plugged in play for testing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283932661270

Edit:This looks cool, But not Component Out. Maybe I can merge it with the item I just bought above.

US $39.43 | EUR Mini SCART Distributor Converter Video 6 input 1 output Auto  Adapter Automatic switcher RCA SVHS AV TV Audio Divide
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrM00D9
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:07:06 pm by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: RGB to component Conversion kits???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:29:02 pm »
Right now probably the most direct route (other than those horrible cables) is to build a gbs control and then get a vga 2 component cable for the output.  I recently did that on a crt I just acquired and it works great.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 07:07:21 am »
I believe the Retrovision component cables for older consoles (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc) require that the console have RGB output. Essentially they are an alternative to SCART cables. They aren't cheap, but neither are really good shielded SCART cables. That said it might still be cheaper to get SCART cables and use a converter like the one Howard mentioned. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 09:31:45 am »
You can hack those things now fixing all issues.

https://www.retrorgb.com/gbs-control-installation-overview.html

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 02:33:40 pm »
If you are going to do rgb then you need to use scart.  The whole rgb ecosystem is based around scart and it actually costs you more money to use any other kind of cable.  You can get inexpensive scart cables for around 10 bucks off aliexpress and similar sites.  They don't always have the best shielding, but if it messes with the picture (always check first.... sometimes it doesn't) take that free vga cable that came with a monitor, lop off the ends and replace the cabling in the scart cable with that. 

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:48:54 pm »
If you are going to do rgb then you need to use scart.  The whole rgb ecosystem is based around scart and it actually costs you more money to use any other kind of cable.  You can get inexpensive scart cables for around 10 bucks off aliexpress and similar sites.  They don't always have the best shielding, but if it messes with the picture (always check first.... sometimes it doesn't) take that free vga cable that came with a monitor, lop off the ends and replace the cabling in the scart cable with that.

I use SCART on all my consoles that output RGB. However, I have some pretty long runs and had to have custom cables made by Retro Access using coax to ensure there was no interference. Many cost me close to what the Retrovision cables cost. I also have component cables in my setup for newer consoles like Wii, XBOX, PS2, etc. I have to have separate SCART and component switches because I have mixed cabling. Sometimes it's nice to have all the same type of connections so you only need one switch. I do agree that SCART is generally the most convenient and affordable if you can get away with less expensive cables. BTW is there a good site that shows you how to wire up SCART cables for the various consoles? I bought some coax and was going to try to "roll my own" cables for some of the consoles I have that don't already have them.

In regards to the GBS, there is a group that is manufacturing an "all in one" product that prevents you from having to piece a setup together. Here's a link to their site:

https://www.gbscaio.com/

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 09:32:03 pm »

is this basically what those ebay scart to component boxes that go for $10 do?

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 08:21:35 am »
My first ever Scarr converter they picked up on the trip only did the composite to HDMI port. I wonder if they send all the cables are just moving composite Signal to composite Wiring. I know that there are like $45 boxes that they’ll start to composite.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 08:38:48 am »
No.......  scart and component are different signals.  The "G" in component is actually sync not green so colors are only passed via R and G, making for a signal better than s-video but worse than true rgb or hdmi.  Also scart adapters on ebay usually aren't designed to handle 240p properly and treat it as 480i..... they work but you'll potentially get lag and other issues. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 10:16:44 am »
No.......  scart and component are different signals.  The "G" in component is actually sync not green so colors are only passed via R and G, making for a signal better than s-video but worse than true rgb or hdmi.  Also scart adapters on ebay usually aren't designed to handle 240p properly and treat it as 480i..... they work but you'll potentially get lag and other issues.

Yeah I know the difference I'm just not typing very clearly these days, sorry. This is for my CRT TV. The real question is do I really want to open up and go through all the trouble to make it RGB right now? I plan on doing it eventually but right now I just wanna play around. And I know there's a real difference between RGB in component, but the same time it's a small differences between step up's between Single step upgrades in picture quality.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 11:05:51 am »
The claimed improvements of RGB over YPbPr are insignificant. You practically need an oscilloscope to measure the difference.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 11:36:43 am »
The claimed improvements of RGB over YPbPr are insignificant. You practically need an oscilloscope to measure the difference.

Yeah more or less. Just like everything in analogue you could find some good examples and bad examples on displays of everything. If I find a RGB to component adapter that's reasonable I'm just gonna be happy for now. When I do you do in RGB conversion it'll just be for the experience of doing so.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 12:29:20 pm »
I've bought several converters from this guy and they work well on my Sony Trinitrons. This is the DB-15 to component one. He also has SCART to component converters, although none are listed right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-VGA-to-YPbPr-Component-transcoder-converter/174166352619

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 02:44:58 pm »
There is a difference in the quality of colors but component looks damn good.  The main reason to do an rgb mod is the ability to just feed a console's rgb straight into the tv without the aid of adapters and such.  There are a lot of benefits to that. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 04:04:27 pm »
I've bought several converters from this guy and they work well on my Sony Trinitrons. This is the DB-15 to component one. He also has SCART to component converters, although none are listed right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-VGA-to-YPbPr-Component-transcoder-converter/174166352619

Cool, I may try that. I just got the one in my first post. It was cheep, but I it's the part where it was geezer assembled. Not a big deal for me I'll be able to do it all of you guys know how it works out. I'm going to test it out with my new NEO GEO MVS board that I bought started to setup, and never actually used, my whole current medical situation can you put a hold on a lot of my projects. If it works well I may just try making a scare to this board adapter cable.

esoteric_rt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 11:22:29 pm
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 06:02:54 pm »
I had one of these, worked very well, quality unit:

https://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 08:21:56 pm »
I saw this just popped up on the Retail Vendors forum.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,163966.0.html