Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Midway Cabinet from Scratch - Newbie  (Read 4828 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
Re: Midway Cabinet from Scratch - Newbie
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »
For reference MikeA has used a Jointer, he made me this:

This is a really nice cutting board. 

I have never needed more than a jigsaw, a router (with pattern, flush and slot cutting bits), a compound chop saw, a drill (with regular and forstner bits) and some clamps to make any of the cabinets I've built.  There are some other odds and ends you can use like an orbital sander or a dremel or whatever but those aren't essential.

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2020, 03:32:31 pm »
All I was ever saying was if he has access to one (or all three)...None of you even mentioned a tablesaw, cutting everything with a jigsaw I guess...The blades flex on those, not really your go to for cabinet building with any level of accuracy, pick up any woodworkers magazine and show me how that is done.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:34:02 pm by jennifer »

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2020, 03:47:22 pm »
I would add a table saw and/or a circular saw to the list. Making long, straight cuts with a jigsaw sucks.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2020, 04:02:14 pm »
Table saw, jigsaw, router and some pattern bits.  A table saw is very optional - just makes certain parts easy.  There are many track saws or guides for circular saws available for making straight cuts.  I have a jointer and surface planer.  Not needed for this work unless there are some really custom blocking needed.  I used a chop saw a number of times too. 

That cabinet has a few curves - depending on your woodworking skill - its sometimes a good idea to make them in 1/4" masonite first - then use that is a template for the actual wood using the router and a pattern bit.  The masonite is easy to shape to a pencil line - plus you end up with a reusable template.
Good luck!
Which I said a long time ago..  A jigsaw is a rough cut tool at best.. Even really good ones.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2020, 04:34:09 pm »
That's why you also need a router with a trim bit.  Cut the shape out in 1/2" with the jigsaw to make a template.... clamp it to the plywood and cut out the pattern.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2020, 04:44:03 pm »
That's why you also need a router with a trim bit.  Cut the shape out in 1/2" with the jigsaw to make a template.... clamp it to the plywood and cut out the pattern.
Or, it could be said, the template was rough cut with a jigsaw, and when transferred with the router it is less than perfect...Jigs and templates are not just hurried throw away pieces, they are actually the pieces to be reproduced

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2020, 05:05:14 pm »

This is exactly what I do.  Takes longer but buying a table saw is a commitment and you can definitely get by without one.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2020, 12:18:32 am »
Or, it could be said, the template was rough cut with a jigsaw, and when transferred with the router it is less than perfect...Jigs and templates are not just hurried throw away pieces, they are actually the pieces to be reproduced

Not at all.  A jigsaw, if you know how to use it properly, is incredibly accurate on the side you cut in, it's just the blade can drift on the other side causing the edge of the wood to be out of square.  Using a properly dialed in trim bit eliminates this worry as it'll only trace around the cut-in side of your template and automatically square it up after the first use.  Using 1/2" for the template helps even more as your guide bearing is typically around 1/4" so there's less drift to worry about.  Now a master craftsman could probably skip these steps and just use a straight bit on a router to cut directly on the final piece, but getting a router to follow a line takes a great degree of skill, so this just helps things along. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2020, 01:10:05 am »
Cutting a strait line with a jigsaw, is a stupid waste if time, there are faster more efficient ways...Bosch for example makes a really nice jigsaw, (7 amp, although @ 160.00 more than a cheap tablesaw) it will cut steel like a beast and has quick release blade change, and a light. But try cutting a long strait line on a midway cab, or a long sloping curve with any amount of accuracy, ya not so much, It chatters, wanders,  drifts,  blade flexes, and for what? A template with one good side only if you go really slow and try really hard to be absolutely perfect?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:36:05 am by jennifer »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2020, 02:43:04 am »
No you get a pretty perfect template good on both sides.  As I said the first time you use it the trim bit cuts and corrects the template.  Maybe you might want to actually try the method or better yet post a guide on how you do it.  Arcade cabinets have curves in them so your options are limited to a router or a jig saw.  This method allows one to actually do the following of the lines with a template, which is easier to the novice and yet cut the actual material with a router, which gives a clean, accurate cut. 

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2020, 06:56:24 am »
I made a template from 1/8" Masonite to get the curves just right for the corners of my control panel.  Next I made a full control panel template from the curve template.
Finally I made the actual control panel from the full template.  I did it this way so the curves would all be symmetric.

Cut the rough curves with a jigsaw/bandsaw..  Smooth it up to the line with a sanding block.  Then use it as a pattern for the rest.

There are actual pics in the link below:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156272.msg1651808.html#msg1651808
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2020, 09:38:39 am »
There are actual pics in the link below:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156272.msg1651808.html#msg1651808

Even though I've read this post several times it always brings a smile to my face.  Such clean lines!