Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Adding casters to bartop stand  (Read 997 times)

Calrissian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2020, 04:33:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Adding casters to bartop stand
« on: September 23, 2020, 04:50:37 pm »
I've had a bartop for a couple of years that I built from a kit from Gameroomsolutions.  They have a kit for a stand that matches the bartop, and I'm thinking of getting it, but need to elevate it a couple of inches to leave clearance for an HVAC vent, so I'm thinking about adding caster wheels to the bottom.

Has anybody had any luck adding casters to these kind of cabinets?  Any recommendations on particular brands?  Did you do anything to reinforce the casters, or anything else I should be aware of?  I can't commit to the stand unless I figure out a way to elevate it, so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can to make a purchase decision.

Thanks for any guidance.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
Re: Adding casters to bartop stand
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:27:28 am »
How much clearance do you need?  You can buy casters in any size but I might go with leg levelers or something that looks a little nicer unless you were planning on hiding the casters with a skirt or something.

Calrissian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2020, 04:33:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Adding casters to bartop stand
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:36:10 am »
Thanks for the reply.  I'm definitely open to legs if I find a solution that works.  I probably just need a couple of inches, just enough to put a 1 inch tall piece that redirects the vent out from under the arcade.  The stand I was looking at gets the controls to about 35 inches, which seems low to me, so I feel like if I had some 2-3 inch casters, or even if I had to do a platform that elevated 4-6 inches, I'd probably be fine.  I have a couple of different sized barstools.

When I asked gameroomsolutions about their stand, they advised I might want to reinforce the casters so as to not put too much pressure on the bottom piece.  That's got me exploring a lot of different options.