Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ion evo with bulging caps.  (Read 3208 times)

triplegreen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2020, 07:42:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Ion evo with bulging caps.
« on: September 21, 2020, 06:27:35 pm »
Hey, I purchased a megatouch ion evo built in 2006 running 2014 software with the ram upgrade. It worked good for 2 months then newer games would crash, coin jam errors, and dsub errors.now it finally won't turn on. I opened it up and saw bulging caps on MB. Is anything I should know about before I recap? Will it even fix the problem? If not is there a cheap ECS mb alternative besides getting jacked by feebay? Thanks.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

justtaint

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 06:11:05 pm
Re: Ion evo with bulging caps.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 10:34:37 am »
There are a handful of boards that will work as a replacement, though most are getting up there in age at this point.  I was able to find a stash of Asus A7N8X-VM boards locally, and the -LA version works too.  The  Intel D945GCLF2D, D945GCLF2, D945GCLF might be the newest option available.

The A7N8X-VM requires a slight modification to the northbridge heat sink.  I need to cut off a couple of fins to fit in the IO board.
There's plenty of posts on all these boards that really helped me out.

triplegreen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2020, 07:42:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:32:56 am »
Thanks, I see that the Asus board is nforce 2 based and the Intel boards are atom and much cheaper. I found some threads I am going to read through before I purchase.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

justtaint

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 06:11:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 08:36:21 am »
Take as many pictures as you can during every step of disassembly, makes it a lot easier when you're putting things back together.