Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiring Harness  (Read 6514 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Wiring Harness
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2020, 11:33:22 pm »
brought it to a reputable guy
Who told you he was a reputable guy?   >:D

never tested the the two signal outputs.
In that case, he may have checked some components but he did not test the board.

Connecting 5v and ground to the board then observing that it isn't smoking is not testing the board.   :bat

The most basic function check to determine if the board is working should include these four steps:

1. Connect 5v and ground from a power supply/wall-wart/hacked USB cable to the card.
- Bring your edge connector so it's easier for him to connect to and test the whole board.

2. Set the multimeter to DCV.  Connect the black lead to ground and the red lead to one of the outputs.

3. The meter should alternate between logic high and low as you block then unblock the gap between the LED and photodiode with a thin piece of cardboard/cardstock.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with the other output.

If you don't see the output changing between logic high and low in step 3, then it's time to troubleshoot what is wrong with the circuit.

I looked closer at the board and saw this...
The two through-holes with no solder are not a problem.

Look at the other side of the board, there is no component connected to either of them.

The trace runs around the eyelet hole so you don't need a lead soldered into the hole for continuity.
- The holes do make handy spots to hold the sharp tip of a meter lead steady.   ;D

Some of the conformal coating (green stuff that protects against corrosion) has been damaged/flaked off, but it doesn't look like the underlying traces have been broken.

Scott

spisi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:20:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2020, 08:39:34 am »
He charged me $15 to test it. I don't know how much he'll charge, prob another $15 I'd guess.

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2020, 09:01:42 am »
So, I'm giving up!  I fixed the two solder joints, tested for continuity for everything on the board and it checked out good.  Then I connected my connector and re-checked for continuity from the end of all wires through the connector to the board.  That checked out good.  Still does not work!  :banghead:  I'm guessing it's something with either receiving the signal or sending the signal.  Either way I am done!

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2020, 09:13:51 am »
Scott, I don't know how, but I missed reading your last post!  I will give that testing a try later today!  Last ditch effort!  8)

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2020, 10:18:25 am »
Wait a sec, that test is not going to work because ...it's not working...

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2020, 03:49:31 pm »
Same reading blocked or unblocked.....I don't think the LEDs are lighting up.  But when I was in the shop I saw the guy get them to light.....

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 12:01:33 pm »
OK.  I gave up.  Lost that battle!  :(   Bought a whole machine that had a working wheel and pulled it...

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2020, 03:42:52 pm »
Got it all working now  :D  Now I just got to make her look pretty!