Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Oled monitor  (Read 12080 times)

khalinguyen191999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:49:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Oled monitor
« on: September 14, 2020, 10:49:21 pm »
hey guys i noticed that these new monitors are not fully on the market yet
But im thinking about getting one for the arcade cabinet
as this monitor has better quality producing colours than lcd

what you guys think? :dizzy:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Oled monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:27:00 am »
A CRT looks better than both of them.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:15:19 am »
?

OLEDs have been out for years.

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 10:18:47 am »
OLED displays look great on day one. But the screen burn issue is a deal breaker for me.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 10:22:41 am »
I havent tried running a game on one, however From the side they do hold the color quite nice, (as compared to a cheap LCD.) And wouldnt be scared of trying it...As for Crts Mike they don't make them anymore, even Tvs to hack are getting harder to find...*Jennifer consults her ball of crystal...Your future is coming into focus...Your Crt tube has a little burn, cant seem to find a flyback and the width coil cant be replaced, a quick rejuvenation and, and...dead...Gone...Poof...Get with the new century pal, move on. 8)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:38:15 am »
I have a basement full of the supposed "rare" CRTs. I turn down offers to buy more every week. I could buy half a dozen more working arcade monitors right now for 100-150 bucks a piece.

They will last until well after I am dead.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 01:24:35 pm »
With proper maintenance they will outlast you, but as we live in a disposable society the amount of people willing and/or able to service old chassis is getting smaller and smaller.  There's actually still one crt manufacturer btw.... saw a retrorgb video on it. 

That being said OLED probably isn't the answer.  You can get ips lcds with 180 degree viewing angles now for a fraction of the cost. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 01:37:19 pm »
I think OLEDs will turn out great once they come down in price and get their response time down. Their black levels are second to none. Couple a 4K+ panel with some shaders and they'll be the tits.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 01:57:29 pm »
I don't think they ever will get the response time down is the thing.  They've been around for quite a while and they still have many of the same limitations they had when they first came out.  If lcd screens had hit a dead end in terms of improvements I think oled would be the standard at this point, but lcds still have a lot of mileage in them apparently.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 03:53:32 pm »
OLED is great if you want true blacks. But for gaming though burn-in would be real concern, especially if you keep playing the same games over and over again.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 04:09:49 pm »
OLED is great if you want true blacks. But for gaming though burn-in would be real concern, especially if you keep playing the same games over and over again.

Not really. CRTs burned in as well and is apparent on a shitload of arcade monitors, but if you just play normally and not leave them on 24/7 it's not an issue.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 07:31:01 pm »

Not really. CRTs burned in as well and is apparent on a shitload of arcade monitors, but if you just play normally and not leave them on 24/7 it's not an issue.

My kids ruined my beautiful 65" plasma from playing too much Minecraft.   :'(

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 08:31:47 pm »

CRT burn in isn't exactly desirable either IMHO, although given the original technology we didn't have much a choice. I have seen burn-in on OLED monitors before as well. It really depends on how they are used and also how much of an issue some people view burn-in.

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:11:58 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 10:28:41 pm »

CRT burn in isn't exactly desirable either IMHO, although given the original technology we didn't have much a choice. I have seen burn-in on OLED monitors before as well. It really depends on how they are used and also how much of an issue some people view burn-in.
Does MAME still have the ability to simulate CRT screen burn using artwork files?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 12:13:34 am »
Everything would eventually burn giving enough time and attract modes I would assume, But the thing was only 800.00 if memory serves, if it only lasted 4 years or so of hard use well that Imo, would be for the win...The reason Jenn never bought one however is, at W/mart they had a big delicious display of the 6900 series, Sony to the ceilings...But go to grab one and the old Phillips bait and switch gag, For the same money may I add.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 07:28:26 am »
In some respects, the burn-in on OLED monitors is worse than the burn-in that you used to see on old CRTs.

That's because on an OLED display, the colours degrade at different rates, with blue degrading most rapidly. Some manufacturers attempt to compensate for this in software, or by making the blue cells bigger than the other colours (at the cost of reducing the effective dot pitch). But you can't eliminate the effect entirely.

So the colours on an OLED display will change over time even if you use a screen saver.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 07:53:11 am »
This forum really needs a Jennifer to English translator.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 10:51:49 am »
In some respects, the burn-in on OLED monitors is worse than the burn-in that you used to see on old CRTs.

That's because on an OLED display, the colours degrade at different rates, with blue degrading most rapidly. Some manufacturers attempt to compensate for this in software, or by making the blue cells bigger than the other colours (at the cost of reducing the effective dot pitch). But you can't eliminate the effect entirely.

So the colours on an OLED display will change over time even if you use a screen saver.
That is curious...As a TV how does it perform?, at the store, it is a hands down no comparison, but what you are saying, it would just degrade rapidly...Would it in your opinion make the 4 year mark without noticeable color change with moderate use?...Perhaps not drive the tint so hard?

formula409

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 02:13:17 pm
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 11:29:40 am »
Even if you just beat the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of an OLED monitor, so what?

Let's say you buy a 48" LG OLED and mount it in a cabinet vertically. $1,500.

Beat the CRAP out of it for a few years. It starts to develop burn in. 5 years later, you replace it with a similar OLED TV that now costs $800.

Honestly, I don't see the problem. All this computer hardware is cheap disposable crap anyway. At the rate MAME's going with the analog sound emulation, you'll probably have to build a new computer for it 5 years from now anyway.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 11:33:24 am »
1500 bucks is cheap and disposable?

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 11:49:44 am »
That is curious...As a TV how does it perform?, at the store, it is a hands down no comparison, but what you are saying, it would just degrade rapidly...Would it in your opinion make the 4 year mark without noticeable color change with moderate use?...Perhaps not drive the tint so hard?

I've been using an OLED TV for a bit over a year. I haven't noticed any significant degradation to image quality yet and no visible burn-in. I did make sure when setting it up to dial down the brightness which will help mitigate image degradation. My hope is to get a good 5 years out of this set before I think about replacing it.

Conversely, I've also used a work laptop with an OLED screen. After about 2 years it developed visible burn-in for certain things (e.g. Windows interface items).

This experience taught me that OLED is probably okay for TV use, especially if you tend to watch a variety of things and don't have the same things being constantly displayed in one spot on the screen (e.g. station logos). But for computer use, I'm sticking to LCD because the burn-in on a computer screen is highly annoying.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 12:57:59 pm »
I did make sure when setting it up to dial down the brightness which will help mitigate image degradation.

You should do this with all new TVs anyway as most are set to torch mode from the factory.

formula409

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 03:20:58 pm »
1500 bucks is cheap and disposable?

In 2020? Yes, pretty much. 1,500 every few years to keep an arcade cabinet going that can play literally tens of thousands of games is pretty much nothing IMO.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:09 am »
You are seriously out of touch.

I built my whole machine for less than that. Spending that much on a monitor every few years is crazy talk.

I haven't even opened up my machine since the first week after completion in 2016. It is maintenance free...so far.

The first machine I built was cheaper than that and it lasted ten years until i disassembled it.

Both machines saw steady use.

Oh. And both cabs used one of those crazy "unreliable" CRTs.

What does the number of games it plays have to do with the longevity of the monitor?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:35 am »
You are seriously out of touch.

I built my whole machine for less than that. Spending that much on a monitor every few years is crazy talk.

I haven't even opened up my machine since the first week after completion in 2016. It is maintenance free...so far.

The first machine I built was cheaper than that and it lasted ten years until i disassembled it.

Both machines saw steady use.

Oh. And both cabs used one of those crazy "unreliable" CRTs.

What does the number of games it plays have to do with the longevity of the monitor?
There is nothing "out of touch" about it, new state of the art builds cost money, and a lot of it, 1500.00  every few years is high ya, but that would most likely be a massive screen, as most smaller New Tvs dont cost that much, and the prices drop with time like everything else...I have Crts, lots of them, and yes I use them when I can, or more to the point when I have to, as they are really heavy,  Yes you can still buy them for a Cnote, (I just sold 15 of them) But the parts are not "lifetime as you say...Flat-screen makes for a much cleaner modern build IMO.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:38 am »
Where do you list your CRTs?

When people ask where to look I can point them to you if you are local to them.

How does a flat screen make a cleaner build?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 02:21:17 pm »
A pedestal style cab, like Blazing Angles (For example) has nice clean lines by design,  put a Giant Crt on there and it becomes a sloppy build, with little imagination...I dont list or sell stuff, and as result Jenn has alot of it, monitors in particular, sometimes when I need space for a new project I make a few calls on my shortlist and sell off some stuff (Thx for the offer though) I live in Nd.(us) and around here crts and complete cabs are getting quite hard to find, as far as specific goes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 02:35:03 pm »
I'm with Mike on this one.... $1,500 for just the monitor is crazy talk, especially if it isn't going to last.  Not counting artwork I can build a complete cab for around $500, even if I choose to use an "expensive" lcd screen.   $1,500 would be a fully maxed out cab with every bell and whistle imaginable.

I'm not in the crt only camp btw.... I like lcds for a lot of applications, particularly the newer ips screens.  Oleds on the other hand.... nope.... too expensive and too many flaws. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 02:59:01 pm »
Well, depending on what you are building, (and Remeber a1500.00 tv is probibally  very large, more of a wall mount application)...My builds usually come in around 7k, and capped at 10.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:02 pm »
I would like to see one of those builds. They must be really snazzy. Any pics?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 03:33:58 pm »
My last one was Jenns Hot new pin, although that tread died on the vine, that ended at 6.5k and 10 laying on the bench, Making screens, paint, bla,bla yes 500.00 don't build stuff like that start to finish.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 03:36:25 pm »
Did you say you are in North Dakota Jennifer?

That is where my parents are from.

Which area of wasteland are you located in?

formula409

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 03:46:31 pm »
Keep in mind that 5 years is an extremely pessimistic duration. Unless you just utterly destroy the monitor (ie. don't use a screen saver when you're back in your frontend), it'd last way longer than that.

Regardless, $1,500 every few years for a hobby is basically nothing regardless.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:42 pm »
My last one was Jenns Hot new pin, although that tread died on the vine, that ended at 6.5k and 10 laying on the bench, Making screens, paint, bla,bla yes 500.00 don't build stuff like that start to finish.

Now hold up.  Pinball and Arcade machines aren't the same thing.  We have to keep things in context.  $1500 for a table is nothing, while $1500 for an arcade cab generally means it's factory fresh restored. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2020, 10:54:29 pm »
True,True, That was just my last project.The next one in the works is a fully composite two piece Cab... 6 sheets of coosa board, (500.00 apice with shipping) 35 gallons of laminating resin (around 100.00 a gal), 3 gallons of waxed gelcoat, 180 feet of 1708 fiberglass, 800.00 for 16 sheets red laminate, 2 gallons 2/1 epoxy (300.00)...2k into boardset, and monitor, 600.00 (before rebuild) for flightstick, 4 square ft tinted safety glass, 400.00 in stock aluminium and welding gas, and around 3k for junk parts (for the art scans, and making new screens...Now that is a true arcade machine destined for the stars.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:05:07 am by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 11:09:56 pm »
but look at that close...The monitor, and board already exceeds the budget of 1500.00...So ya, depends on what you build man😬

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 11:14:46 pm »
Sounds interesting. Any pics?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 11:18:53 pm »
Just a pile right now, the marquee art is giving me trouble, The monitor is going from 19" to 27", and I have to expand the bezel, and still make the screens for the new print...But I secretly work on it in the night.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 11:21:23 pm »
Cool. Got any pics.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 11:49:11 pm »
Jennifer aint going to bother doing a build thread on this one giving its long term complexity, seasonal dry times, And the fact this is somebody else's thread on Oled monitors...However, pretty proud of this, not easy to find in this condition anymore, Actually even found a couple more out back for parts, and a extra NOS centering bellows for you guys that know what you are looking at.😉
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 12:14:20 am by jennifer »