Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replacing solenoid in namco/jolt/real arcade gun help  (Read 2981 times)

Podbod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2022, 04:10:00 pm
Replacing solenoid in namco/jolt/real arcade gun help
« on: August 31, 2020, 03:11:03 pm »
Hello,

So the solenoid in my Real arcade gun melted (I fed it too much voltage). So I need a replacement. Namco charge an arm and a leg for an official one. Some thing I dont want to do.

I have heard of people using ones from ebay. Something like this. Seems to be the right type and size. I dont know how the force it generates stacks up against a stock Namco one (the default in the Real arcade gun is 12v and feels weak, thats why I fed it more volts, oops)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solenoid-Tubular-SAIA-BURGESS-LLC-151479-231-24V-DC-25mm-Pull-431-7605/293318402944?hash=item444b23a380:g:0Z8AAOSwH41dxDvN

Other than the force unknown is that the end of the bolt doesnt match so I dont know how to attach it.

Has anyone done this kind of replacement before? Or have a better solenoid thats a closer match and doesnt cost the earth?

Cheers

Pod

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:52:10 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
Re: Replacing solenoid in namco/jolt/real arcade gun help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 03:44:12 pm »
Which Namco arcade gun model is it?
How did you melt it by the way with the overvoltage?
You used it too much like that or hold it pulled for too long?

On AliExpress also you might have some luck finding one.
I got a Chinese full Time Crisis 4 enclosure on Ali before, and while the case isn't as good as the real gun, the recoil itself seems to be quite similar as the original.

It's also worth noting that namco isn't officially selling their gun parts to end customers. Meaning anyone selling those parts are either selling Chinese replacement parts and/or aren't certified sellers. So no matter where you get it from, it has big chances of being the same thing, only different prices.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 03:56:26 pm »
Its not a namco gun. Its a Real arcade gun that was for PS1 that I converted using the aimtrak OEM module.
I fed the solenoid 24v as when I fed it 12v it was doing a very weak recoil (its rated for 12v). The kick was great but after 30 mins it locked on and I could smell burning. I turned it off and left it for a bit and then tried it again and it didn't work at all. I suppose there's a chance I burnt out something else as the conversion has the aimtrak and solenoid power going via the old ps1 pcb. I'd need to gut the ps1 parts and install the aim track recoil OEM kit connected up to the original solenoid to be sure.

The ones I've seen on various sites might well be non-official. Either way they want £100 for the solenoid alone. I've seen the solenoid and housing priced at £200+.

The one I linked is only £18 but has the issues I mentioned. Thus why I was hoping that there might be someone whos done this before and knows of either a better fit or a way to mod these generic ones to fit the housing.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:52:10 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 04:05:15 pm »
Ah I see, that the name of the gun, my bad  :lol
In that case, as you guessed it, your best bet is finding another cheap ps1 gun having the same solenoid.
Can you measure and take pics of the whole recoil assembly so I can check it? With some chances the Chinese recoil assemblies I found last time could work.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 04:13:15 pm »
Ah I see, that the name of the gun, my bad  :lol
In that case, as you guessed it, your best bet is finding another cheap ps1 gun having the same solenoid.
Can you measure and take pics of the whole recoil assembly so I can check it? With some chances the Chinese recoil assemblies I found last time could work.

My worry with using another ps1 solenoid is that I'll have the same weak recoil feeling. Thats why I'm hoping to find one that takes 24v like the official namco ones. The recoil assembly in the real arcade gun is identical to the namco ones in terms of sizes.

Heres a pic with me holding an Aim track solenoid next to it (which comes with the Aimtrak recoil OEM but is sadly no use here)

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 08:11:08 am »
Hum,

So I replaced the solenoid and at the same time ripped out all the ps1 internals, swapping them for the aimtrak recoil pcb.

All the buttons are working but I'm getting nothing from the solenoid. I've tried 24v and 36v. I think I heard a small 'chunk' at 36v a few times but then I couldnt get it to happen again.
I'd be surprised if the solenoid isnt powerful enough but I also dont have any way to compare it. Holding onto the recoil slide in different positions it doesnt feel like theres any force on it at all.

I checked in the aimtrak utility and the recoil strength is set to the max. I tried moving it around and using the test and apply buttons but nothing changed.

I have a few questions for those that are more knowledgable.

1) Can you wire a solenoid the wrong way? I didnt think you could. the wires dont seem to indicated any kind of direction.

2) The first test I'll do tonight is to try wiring T to the R terminal on the recoil pcb. This should then auto activate the solenoid right?

3) if that fails I guess I'll de solder the power lines and wire them straight to the solenoid. Will I need to de-solder the solenoid wires from the pcb as well? Do I risk damaging something on the recoil pcb if I dont?

Cheers for any help

Pod

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 05:25:22 pm »
So wiring the solenoid directly to power caused the solenoid to fire. (it seems strong too so I'm happy it looks like I bought the right type)

Shorting the trigger wire to the R pad did nothing so assuming that should fire the solenoid I guess maybe theres an issue with the recoil pcb. Which is only a mosfet and a diode. Not much to go wrong.

I've reached out to Andy for help.

Pod

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 06:40:56 am »
OK. Turns out my soldering is rubbish. The mosfet joints were bad. All working now

The solenoid I bought was a nsf sdt2652L-231 and it cost £18 from ebay new. which isn't a bad solenoid for this but it does need 36v to have a decent kick. It's running at about 65% duty cycle max. So still plenty fine for auto fire if I can get an aimforce one at some point.
I think if if I build a second when sinden does oem kits I'd use a nsf sdt2652L-229. That would take 24v for a tiny bit more force and would be at 55% max duty cycle. So should still be OK for auto fire.

The dimensions of both of these are identical.

Either way the RAG and I suspect the Namco guns do need a little adjustment to fit the solenoids threads into the recoil chassis but size wize they're identical. The plunger is different so I just used the one from my old burnt out one.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:43:20 am by Podbod »