Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRTPi-RGB v3.0 image  (Read 6645 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRTPi-RGB v3.0 image
« on: August 30, 2020, 12:32:09 pm »
So, i've been playing around with this.
https://www.reddit.com/user/ErantyInt/comments/giih2z/crtpirgb_v30_buster_busts_loose_redump51220/

it's basically a pre-configured 240p rpi image in composite and gert vga flavors along with an rpi 1/ pizero config.
though you need to solder a composite connector onto the pizero and add a usb sound card which i've done and it takes up enough cpu that anything pas NES/Master system has trouble with the sound and some slowdowns.

it runs emulation station at 480i then switches the output to 240p for the emulators.
just thought i'd post it since it does simply setting up a pi to work with a crt.

I've been using with an rpi2 and sega genesis, sega 32x and it looks good.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: CRTPi-RGB v3.0 image
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 10:48:30 pm »
I have a VGA running through a Jpac on an RPI3. Took me awhile to settle on that method, but I like it because it's dead simple.  I don't like that the GertVGA requires the GPIO which I prefer to save for something like the Picade X-Hat, so the Jpac is a pretty simple and reasonably low-cost way to get a VGA set up. I had to add some lines to the boot config but I don't think much else. It's been a few years since  I looked at the configuration... goodness knows what else I have going on in that thing.

In any case, I'm always interested to take a look at premade images. I've learned a few tricks from them. I'm going to check this one out. Thanks!
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Kingcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 04:33:12 pm
  • Building a steampunk arcade cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 12:02:25 am »
@nitrogen_widget, Is there a reason you're using the older Pi models instead of upgrading?

I was looking at doing something similar to what CRTPi-RGB is doing, which uses a list of roms to determine the proper resolutions to set.

However, I liked the approach that CRT SwitchRes uses better, which is built into RetroArch. It uses the resolutions from the ROMs themselves to set resolution, refresh rate, and pixel clock. I got that setup working for my arcade last week.
KINGCADE - my Steampunk Wild West penny arcade-style cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161105.msg1697383.html#msg1697383

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 01:50:29 pm »
@nitrogen_widget, Is there a reason you're using the older Pi models instead of upgrading?

I was looking at doing something similar to what CRTPi-RGB is doing, which uses a list of roms to determine the proper resolutions to set.

However, I liked the approach that CRT SwitchRes uses better, which is built into RetroArch. It uses the resolutions from the ROMs themselves to set resolution, refresh rate, and pixel clock. I got that setup working for my arcade last week.

I have a lot of pi's and using an rpi3 where an rpi2 will suffice seems like a waste to me and running emulators at low res and no scaling/little scaling lowers requirements a bit.

Now, I haven't gotten sega CD to work yet (bios sillyness) so i may move up to the rpi3 if I decide it can't cut it and there are games I decide I like.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:44 pm »
I have a VGA running through a Jpac on an RPI3. Took me awhile to settle on that method, but I like it because it's dead simple.  I don't like that the GertVGA requires the GPIO which I prefer to save for something like the Picade X-Hat, so the Jpac is a pretty simple and reasonably low-cost way to get a VGA set up. I had to add some lines to the boot config but I don't think much else. It's been a few years since  I looked at the configuration... goodness knows what else I have going on in that thing.

In any case, I'm always interested to take a look at premade images. I've learned a few tricks from them. I'm going to check this one out. Thanks!

I have one of the supposedly zero lag hdmi to composite convertor that works with 240p i bought for $20 off amazon from this site.

https://www.retrorgb.com/rpi240p.html#:~:text=You%20can%20configure%20a%20RPi%20to%20output%20a,such%20as%20the%20Zero-Lag%20Converters%20linked%20here%3A%20https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fshop%2Fretrorgb

have not had a chance to try it out with one of my component tv's.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:19:44 pm »
zero lag hdmi to composite convertor that works with 240p i bought for $20 off amazon from this site.

I tried 2 of the HDMI to CGA converters from 2 different suppliers. One failed quickly. The other: I thought the quality of the output was garbage. The ones I had didn't store any scaling settings after losing power. Every time I started them up, there was lots of black space around the edge of the screen and the contrast and other settings went back to the crap defaults. I was at my wits end until I realized I had that Jpac laying around unused.

Other ones... I don't know. I have little faith, but I would love to hear a positive review.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:34:47 pm »
zero lag hdmi to composite convertor that works with 240p i bought for $20 off amazon from this site.

I tried 2 of the HDMI to CGA converters from 2 different suppliers. One failed quickly. The other: I thought the quality of the output was garbage. The ones I had didn't store any scaling settings after losing power. Every time I started them up, there was lots of black space around the edge of the screen and the contrast and other settings went back to the crap defaults. I was at my wits end until I realized I had that Jpac laying around unused.

Other ones... I don't know. I have little faith, but I would love to hear a positive review.

I think I have one of the convertors you are talking about and you are correct.
they were not very good.
they also didn't put out 240x320 and were flickery as heck.

the one I have doesn't do anything but convert hdmi to YPbPr.
It has no controls on it.
all of the screen adjustments for overscan are done on the pi via the config file.

I don't know if it will work like is claimed but I do want to find out because it makes using an RPI Zero in say an atari cartridge possible.