Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone programming new retro arcade games?  (Read 6784 times)

formula409

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 02:13:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Anyone programming new retro arcade games?
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2020, 07:29:54 am »
Again, wrong. Star Fox isn't even capable of having floors of different heights. Not only is it "not true 3d," it's not even capable of reproducing Doom maps.

The 3D polygons in Star Fox are true 3D geometric objects. In that context, yes it can have "floors" of different heights because we're talking about rendering of 3D geometric objects. The missions featuring interiors in Star Fox are perfect examples of that; and they further feature things not possible in Doom.

I'm not really sure why you think it's not "true 3D" when the ability to render 3D geometric objects from any angle is basically the very definition of that in the context of graphics rendering.

Doom is more of a 3d game than Star Fox is.

Given the various limitations of Doom's rendering engine when it comes to rendering of geometry, I don't see any metric by which that could possibly be true.

The Doom engine is incapable of rendering many of the 3D objects in Star Fox. For example that yellow barrier in the below screenshot is impossible to render in the Doom engine. Ditto the sloped accents on the corners of the corridor.

"Floors can't have different heights in Starfox."

*links a screenshot of a flat floor in Star Fox*

The little bumps there aren't map data. I don't think they even have colliders on them.

We're done here. You can keep writing novels if you want to, but you're wrong. Have a nice day.

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: Anyone programming new retro arcade games?
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2020, 07:41:06 am »
"Floors can't have different heights in Starfox."

*links a screenshot of a flat floor in Star Fox*

The little bumps there aren't map data. I don't think they even have colliders on them.

The point of that particular shot was to show 3D geometry that the Doom engine cannot render. For example, those "little bumps" are sloped 3D geometry. The stock Doom engine isn't capable of that.

Floor height isn't even an issue here, since all we're talking about is relative positional geometry in 3D space. Star Fox is clearly capable of that as even that screenshot shows. And such levels further show when they move into angular changes in 3D geometry of the corridors themselves.

This isn't a matter of right/wrong. It's simply a matter of what the respective rendering engines are capable of re: 3D geometry.

The Doom engine cannot render much of the 3D geometry used in Star Fox. That's just a basic fact.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 03:44:07 pm by shponglefan »