Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Force Evo Phantom Touches  (Read 4046 times)

tlandrews

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:36:37 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Force Evo Phantom Touches
« on: August 27, 2020, 05:54:40 pm »
Have a Force Evo I bought "as-is" that wouldn't power on. Replaced bad power supply and it fired right up to the home screen.

What I am experiencing now are what I call "phantom touches" from the touchscreen.  Sometimes the machine will function perfectly, other times it's as if someone is pushing on the touchscreen at random places on the screen, but mainly to the right side where the game previews are.

Removing the touchscreen completely from the case fixes the problem.  But as soon as I put it back in, the phantom touches begin again.

After taking advice on this forum, I have:
- Thoroughly cleaned the touchscreen including edges
- Cleaned the bezel inside and outside
- Removed the existing foam from the bezel and replaced it (the foam that the touchscreen sits on)
- Checked grounds: the touchscreen NOVRAM cable and the metal chassis of the monitor are grounded properly
- Stuck electrical tape around the outer border of the touchscreen

In an attempt to determine if it was the bezel or not causing the problem, I took foam packaging and put it all around the inside of the bezel. Sitting the touchscreen in the bezel did not register any touches, but when I pushed on the metal chassis of the monitor, touches registered.

I have spent my day in its entirety trying to determine the cause of this.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-ta

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Force Evo Phantom Touches
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 01:30:30 pm »
replace your power cord and also check the grounding on your electrical outlet. bad ground causes electricity buildup in the cabinet...and since the touchscreen works on electrical changes, it picks up phantom touches.

other things plugged into the same outlet/circuit (like a fridge or sometimes ive seen florescent lights) can cause random touches.

mahkeymike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:06:46 pm
Re: Force Evo Phantom Touches
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 11:32:11 pm »
Its usually caused by pressure on the overlay, or a loose wire if its the old wire style cable.