Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Screen moving between retroarch and groovymame on substring release of GA  (Read 1218 times)

strontium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2021, 05:12:52 pm
I'm using the substing collab release of groovymame which is superb.

Recently I decided to configure and add snes and genesis retroarch cores which work great the only issue is when I return to attract mode / groovyarcade menu etc everything is pushed to the left very simlar to what this thread describes: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161103.0.html

The reason I'm staring a new thread is the above one is windows focused.

I think that the substring release drops the kernel patch and uses edid emulation but I don't know how to configure monitor movement like this any where. I've looked in mame.ini and all my crt_range0... values are set to auto.

I'm hoping substring or someone with more in depth knowledge could help me resolve this.

To summarise: if I set all the monitor up correctly when I change between a retroarch core and groovymame the screen is off centre to the right is there any where I can tune this porch value so when it returns its how it should be.

The thing I did observe is that the groovymame menu is also to the left it's as if everything has shifted to the right so this would have to be a setting that would allow me to tune this

Thanks again for any support on this issue
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:33:06 am by strontium »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Hi !

So let me answer step by step :

I'm not using EDID emulation anymore for now (this might change in the future), despite you can set it up by yourself.  I do use a 15kHz patched kernel that is automatically built at every official kernel release on Arch Linux side ;)

There are no CRT ranges set unless you edit them yourself. All is based on your monitor definition that you've set at install. It covers most needs. If your monitor ranges are not listed, would be great to contribute to the dedicated topic.

I've never used RA on GA for many reasons. One of them being that their switchres implementation is ... how to say ... terribly hacky and ugly, and has almost nothing to do with the real switchres that is in the GroovyMAME code. Nevertheless I plan to work on that someday although, as of now, I have other plans for consoles. You could use mame for console emulation though, with the usual romset stuff limitation, you know the story ...

Now, what I need to understand :
- how is the GA menu when you don't start RA ?
- how does Mame look ?
- does this happen ONLY when running RA ? If so, can you start RA in verbose mode and provide a log ? Did you compile RA yourself or just ran pacman -Sy retroarch ?

I'm afraid this has to do with RA not resetting the screen to the proper values. I'll try to give it a try, no promise. What surprises me the most is that the GA menu (which is pure console) and X are not supposed to interfere on each other regarding the screen resolution and timings. Unless X is not wiping things correctly because it can't switch back to a mode  :o

strontium

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2021, 05:12:52 pm
Hey SubString thanks for the quick response. I thought it might be the switchres code on the RA side.

So to answer your questions

1.) Perfect
2.) Perfect
3.) I start in attract mode which looks perfect, I have 3 attractmode dispays (mame, snes, genesis) everything looks and plays perfect until I enter a retroarch core ( snes or genesis ) and return to attract mode. So when I first start the core it looks great but when I exit the game and return to attractmode the screen has shifted visabily to the left.

if I leave attractmode the GA menu has also shifted to the left.

I installed using pacman -Sy retroarch.

I'll get a log for you and upload it on my lunch.

Thanks again for a great distro and the help.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:45:29 am by strontium »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:09:00 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Can you also tell me which monitor you're using ? The one you've set after Jarvis talking to you.