Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jennifer goes skateboarding  (Read 31762 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Jennifer goes skateboarding
« Reply #240 on: February 08, 2021, 05:52:44 pm »
I would advise against trying to get off curbs before you can cruise anywhere without damage.
The whole walk before you try to run thing-

Snowboarding is far less painful !

And surfing is the best of all of them

;)
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:20:32 pm
« Reply #241 on: February 08, 2021, 07:53:44 pm »
Jenn, much as I admire your work I still think you are crazy trying to learn skateboarding at age over 40 (but you are still 21, right?). However, I like a bit of crazy so just hoping your medical insurance is good :D

Agree with Bobby that surfing is the best. You don't even need a board if you learn to body surf :o
Check out my completed projects!

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #242 on: February 08, 2021, 09:05:12 pm »
Well yes true Jennifer is not as young as she once was, But I am not stupid either, sliding down handrails, off garages, dropping into a pool, ya not going to happen here...And I do realize I need more experience to just ride at all consistently, but riding off a curb (what 6 inches or so?) Is a personal goal, means to an end anyway, and doesn't seem all that unrealistic...Probibally even quite boring and considered a lame trick for some...That last ride in CA, was probibally the most exciting horrifically dumb thing Jenn has ever done in this lifetime but was strangly satisfying and addictive. (Although going that fast ever again would just give me a heart attack and just kill me dead), so some slow lame trick it is.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:15:34 pm by jennifer »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #243 on: February 08, 2021, 10:33:17 pm »
I'd like to be good enough at skateboarding to be able to do this, like Walter Mitty

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #244 on: February 09, 2021, 01:39:13 pm »
Well yes true Jennifer is not as young as she once was, But I am not stupid either, sliding down handrails, off garages, dropping into a pool, ya not going to happen here...And I do realize I need more experience to just ride at all consistently, but riding off a curb (what 6 inches or so?) Is a personal goal, means to an end anyway, and doesn't seem all that unrealistic...Probibally even quite boring and considered a lame trick for some...That last ride in CA, was probibally the most exciting horrifically dumb thing Jenn has ever done in this lifetime but was strangly satisfying and addictive. (Although going that fast ever again would just give me a heart attack and just kill me dead), so some slow lame trick it is.

I speak from the experience of remembering how unpleasant my first trip off a curb was- and I was already quite proficient at snowboarding and could surf too at the point I began riding a skateboard.

I hit the deck of course- my head hurt for a few days and one of my shoulders for over a week- and I was 23.

I got to the point I was riding ramps and pools and bombing big hills (no handrail self- flagellation though!) and still had to quit the whole thing by the time I was 30.  It was keeping me from being able to work and surf.

Even with pads and skill skateboarding is fraught with injury.

Love your enthusiasm but... maybe bike riding is a better way for you to roll around with some speed?!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #245 on: February 09, 2021, 10:51:22 pm »
Actually I realise now that I have done runs like Walter Mitty's, just on roller blades and bicycles and not in Iceland.

These days I stick with a bicycle, though even that managed to put me in a hospital a few years ago (I was in "no-man's land", on bridge between Laos and Thailand, where they have a railway track set into the middle of the road. At one point track cuts at an angle across the road, no signage. Going fast for a bike, ~40+ km/h. Front bike wheel fitted perfectly into the railway track groove...).

After about 3 months I was able to waddle about reasonably well (for short distances without a stick), sporting a cheerful red 2 inch smiley-face scar on the inside of my right ankle from where the claw pedal ripped into me. Should have worn boots rather than just sandals. Healing takes longer when you are older. Limited mobility sucks. Always wear a helmet.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2021, 12:19:19 am »
Actually I realise now that I have done runs like Walter Mitty's, just on roller blades and bicycles and not in Iceland.

These days I stick with a bicycle, though even that managed to put me in a hospital a few years ago (I was in "no-man's land", on bridge between Laos and Thailand, where they have a railway track set into the middle of the road. At one point track cuts at an angle across the road, no signage. Going fast for a bike, ~40+ km/h. Front bike wheel fitted perfectly into the railway track groove...).

After about 3 months I was able to waddle about reasonably well (for short distances without a stick), sporting a cheerful red 2 inch smiley-face scar on the inside of my right ankle from where the claw pedal ripped into me. Should have worn boots rather than just sandals. Healing takes longer when you are older. Limited mobility sucks. Always wear a helmet.

Ouch-

I mean REALLY ouch.

Had numerous slams on numerous pieces of equipment myself- and that really sounds unpleasant.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2021, 03:52:51 am »
Gotta get back on...

Had a few nasty bike accidents. when was about 12 was hit from behind by a 1.25 tonne Holden ute (pickup). Fortunately I avoided major injury by landing on my head. With no helmet. I don't remember much of the 3-day hospital stay over Christmas except the screaming pain in my brain.

I was lucky to not be dead or a vegetable. Always wear a helmet.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2021, 03:40:11 pm »
The skatepark was under ice and water, Had to ride the sidewalk at the dog park...OMG, Zoom, Zoom, go fast, so much fun🤪

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2021, 03:54:54 pm »
I noticed it is much easier and less scary the faster you go (to a point anyway) but the cracks it the sidewalk seemed to dissappear with speed and inertia.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:46:22 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2021, 04:19:13 pm »
The skatepark was under ice and water, Had to ride the sidewalk at the dog park...OMG, Zoom, Zoom, go fast, so much fun🤪
Found a corroborating witness.   :lol

Scott

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2021, 05:25:01 pm »
Ha, that's funny...It's so much fun I get excited and just like to share it with you guys the adventures, boring without pics, I get that but filming yourself on a skateboard well... let's just say it would be nice to have some friends around...Curiously there were some kids over at that skatepark, just hanging out, too icy here to skate (and don't think they had boards with them anyway), And not bothering anyone, it is there park after all... But got Jenn thinking, It would be a lot like hanging out at the high school at my age to go over there, so I probibally won't anymore.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:32:24 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2021, 07:05:57 pm »
The cigarette machine showed up finally, so you guys who thought Jenn was lying last fall...There it is!..And OMG, is it heavy.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2021, 07:21:25 pm »
*Fun story...It had 50.00 in coins in it, and 11 cartons of cigarettes in the bottom, and probibally another carton or so in the racks,  😁

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2021, 07:27:44 pm »
Wow, hope the ---daisies--- weren't stale

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #255 on: February 28, 2021, 07:45:40 pm »
Oh yes I hope so, Ultra stale is actually kinda hard to find...This machine actually came from auction, from a building with white mold, thats why it took so long, it has been in quarantine for a few months (My choice, as not to contaminate other machines) the smokes are obviously sealed however so Dance, Dance...It will get another mold treatment, and a few more months of solitude before it actually comes to the shop.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:51:01 pm by jennifer »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2021, 08:00:16 pm »
The blackjack tables, and bar diddnt get such love, Those were just cleaned with bleach water, reconditioned outside and resold.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #257 on: February 28, 2021, 10:34:52 pm »
Ha, that's funny...It's so much fun I get excited and just like to share it with you guys the adventures, boring without pics, I get that but filming yourself on a skateboard well... let's just say it would be nice to have some friends around...Curiously there were some kids over at that skatepark, just hanging out, too icy here to skate (and don't think they had boards with them anyway), And not bothering anyone, it is there park after all... But got Jenn thinking, It would be a lot like hanging out at the high school at my age to go over there, so I probibally won't anymore.

So...
I need to send you a GoPro?
And a helmet to attach it to already?!
 ;)

mameotron

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 04:42:49 pm
  • A mamer is you...
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2021, 04:05:27 pm »
I am sooooooooo jealoous of your cigarette machine.  That brings up college memories.  We had one right in the dining hall, and even though you could walk three blocks to a gas station to get cigarettes for 1.20 a pack, we still paid 1.50 a pack for the convenience of using the vending machine.

Sigh..... that's almost as much nostalgia as video games

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2021, 04:12:23 pm »
When we were kids, we would run by and shove a few coins in one, and run away so we wouldn't get caught, and another one of us would run by with another coin,  so and so forth...Good memories.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2021, 10:26:51 am »
I am sooooooooo jealoous of your cigarette machine.  That brings up college memories.  We had one right in the dining hall, and even though you could walk three blocks to a gas station to get cigarettes for 1.20 a pack, we still paid 1.50 a pack for the convenience of using the vending machine.

Sigh..... that's almost as much nostalgia as video games

Wow, cigarettes that cheap - you must be as old as I am!