Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: G-Sync and Mame  (Read 1736 times)

Negativecreep0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2020, 10:59:49 am
  • I'm a llama!
G-Sync and Mame
« on: August 25, 2020, 06:25:51 am »
Hey guys so I built a custom cab with a nvidia rtx 2070 super card in it. I have a gsync pc monitor, a LG c9 (supports g-sync), and a Samsung q70 (supports freesync)... I have gsync enabled on pc, and it shows gsync on , however in mame with the samurai showdown II shadow test I still see shadows flickering like crazy... Am I missing something? This pc is strictly for emulation and newer fighting games.. I want to remedy this before 30 day return window in case I have to return for an amd freesync graphics card.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 06:56:22 am by Negativecreep0 »

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
Re: G-Sync and Mame
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:25:47 pm »
the shadows are meant to flicker

NeoGeo hardware was weak for the time it was released, it has no transparency capability at all, not even fake pen manipulation transparency.

The reason it looked transparent on a CRT is because of the phosphor delay causing frames to blur.

All a gsync / freesync monitor will do for it is ensure the flickering is nice and smooth on/off every frame without any frames being doubled (as long as the game can cope, there are a few points where it can't so will double frames anyway, looks bad even on a CRT then)

NeoGeo in general is a bad system to be testing the capabilities of a freesync / gsync monitor, many of the games aren't especially well programmed and push the hardware too hard meaning even on the original games you sometimes get screen tearing when scrolling etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:03:19 pm by Haze »

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 09:38:31 pm »
The test isn't about whether they switch off and on, but whether they do so perfectly evenly. If you set your monitor to 60 and use -syncrefresh, you can see what it should look like, even though the game is running at the wrong speed. If you're not getting that same consistent shadow at 59.185606, something is lying in your freesync chain.

On my RX480, connected to a 55" Samsung Q70R TV, running mame0219b_64bit, the shadows are a mess and the scrolling background jumps even though the Samsung shows that it's getting Freesync (displaying 59, and dipping down to 48 as it tends to do.) Something isn't right, and I'd hate for the OP to go through the trouble of replacing cards if the fault is with the TV or MAME.

I can't troubleshoot which component is at fault since I only have one freesync card and one freesync monitor, but it's worth noting that other games such as forza and pinball fx3 display smoothly at >48 <60 (4K) rates with freesync on.

formula409

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 02:13:17 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 12:47:08 am »
It's possible that that Samsung TV isn't truly compatible with Nvidia G-Sync.

Check to make sure that G-Sync is actually enabled in the Nvidia control panel.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/g-sync-compatible

formula409

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 12:50:41 am »
Oh also, G-Sync is notorious for not working worth a crap with multiple monitor setups.

Try it with only the Samsung TV plugged in and make sure that G-Sync is still on.

formula409

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 12:54:25 am »
the shadows are meant to flicker

NeoGeo hardware was weak for the time it was released, it has no transparency capability at all, not even fake pen manipulation transparency.

The reason it looked transparent on a CRT is because of the phosphor delay causing frames to blur.

All a gsync / freesync monitor will do for it is ensure the flickering is nice and smooth on/off every frame without any frames being doubled (as long as the game can cope, there are a few points where it can't so will double frames anyway, looks bad even on a CRT then)

NeoGeo in general is a bad system to be testing the capabilities of a freesync / gsync monitor, many of the games aren't especially well programmed and push the hardware too hard meaning even on the original games you sometimes get screen tearing when scrolling etc.

The Neo Geo is a great system to test variable refresh on. A ton of the fighters have flickering shadows. If they flicker irregularly you'll know in 2 seconds whether it's working properly.

A lot of games like CPSx games actually have choppy scrolling even on original hardware with CRTs. Those are terrible tests for it.