Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ Vision Pro CRT signal wires question  (Read 1459 times)

Shaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2023, 11:18:23 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Happ Vision Pro CRT signal wires question
« on: August 23, 2020, 07:09:10 pm »
The search function doesn't seem to work, so I'll just ask.  I'm not very familiar with CRTs (but I know what not to touch).  I'd like to use a Happ Vision Pro CRT for vertical games with a 4-way joystick.  But I'm not sure how to connect it up.  It's not easy to find detailed instructions on this.

The wire colors are black, white, red, yellow, blue, and light blue.  They're loose with no molex connector. 

As for what to connect it to: The MiSTer FPGA looks interesting - it can run all the games I want currently.  Can this monitor easily get connected to it? 

And I see Ultimarc discontinued the Arcade VGA due to "to the decline in usage of CRT monitors", so doing a MAME from PC seems less easy.  (And I haven't had much luck working with a raspberry pi.)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:56:52 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Happ Vision Pro CRT signal wires question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 03:06:00 am »
If your Happ Vision Pro is the same as the one I have then it is actually a Kortek 2938F.

If that is the case, there are a number of ways to connect to it- and mame on a PC is a really good one because there is so much flexibility in setting it up.

There are plenty of members here who can tell you everything you need to know if you are patient and receptive.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Shaz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:09:06 pm »
It is a Kortek, but I can't match the board to any of the photos I see online.  The board color is a very light tan with green text - bought around 2002 from Happ.

PC Mame is the hardware/software I'm most familiar with.  I'd be interested to see a way to hook it up to that.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 02:57:44 am »
The model should be printed somewhere around the outer perimeter of the main board and/or on the neck board.
My 2914f boards are tan and my 2938f is green actually.  Hard to say which yours is without some identifier though.

I believe the 2938f is a multisync like the 2914f ones but I'm not sure yet myself.
Like you, I can't find definitive documentation anywhere and I haven't had any free time to stuff it in a functional cabinet yet to see what it can do.

All of my Kortek boards have an on board plug for a VGA connector.  Hopefully yours does too because then it gets a lot easier.

Maybe someone with more experience/knowledge than me will see this and chime in.

What I CAN say is that CRTemudriver and GroovyMame on a PC are the way to go (once you can get it all configured happily.)
Get yourself a PC with a PCIe slot, an AMD card that Calamity's masterful work flashes to properly and have at it.
EVERY setup appears to be different from the next, but stick with it.  The results are astounding.

http://www.geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433

I'll help if I can but like I said, there are a lot of people here that are way better at this than I am.
I just have gotten lucky a few times with a lot of help from folks here.

Aloha,
Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Shaz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 08:50:31 pm »
I looked all over the circuit cards and took lots of photos hoping I could zoom in and find the model number, since it seemed most Kortek monitors had it there.  It wasn't easy since the monitor was installed in a cabinet.  After all that and finding nothing, I found the model number underneath the frame.  It's a Kortek KTN-2001.

Bobbyb13, thanks for responding and for the links.  You say your Kortek's have on board plugs for a VGA connector?  Can you post a photo of that?

Maybe someone is familiar with how to connect to the Kortek KTN-2001.  If not, I may make a new post in a few weeks with the proper monitor listed in the subject line.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 04:55:43 am »
Just when I thought I might be useful-

The 2914 and 2938 are really different now that I look at the latter more closely.

2914 has a 6 pin rgb harness and the vga connection right next to each other on an outside corner of the board.  The neck board harness also connects in that same corner of the main pcb.

The 2938 vga cord has one portion that connects to the neckboard (with red, green and blue wires) and another few much thinner gauge strands that fork off to a separate connector close to the center of the main pcb.  Yeesh
Hopefully the attached picture help?

I found a crappy scan of the manual for a 2001 over on the klov site.
Maybe there are better versions elsewhere.

Maybe you can rustle up a reply from Ken Layton here.
There are numerous people here who are really good with monitors but he seems to post most in regard to Korteks.