Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arachnid Super 6 plus II switch matrix problem  (Read 4646 times)

caffeineslug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2021, 06:13:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arachnid Super 6 plus II switch matrix problem
« on: August 21, 2020, 04:43:19 am »
I have a Super 6 plus II that has worked correctly within the last year. It has the older style single bull spider. I recently disassembled everything behind the spider to remove broken tips, and on reassembly I noticed a bunch of the segments in the double ring don't work. Singles, triples, and bull all work fine. The target test reports no stuck segments, and the nuts and wing nuts on the target assembly are only finger tight.

With the switch matrix disconnected, I can jump pins together and every segment in the double ring works just fine. I've replaced the connector pins on the target interface board and there was no change. It seems like the only options left are the connectors on the switch matrix, or there's a break somewhere in the matrix itself. The connectors don't look replaceable, but I've never seen them before. I would imagine the matrix itself is not repairable.

I read a lot of past threads, but they were all old enough that you could just buy a new switch matrix and be done. It looks like that's no longer an option for the original spider. Is there anything else I should check here?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:47:18 am by caffeineslug »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Arachnid Super 6 plus II switch matrix problem
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 11:40:29 am »
A lot of times the connector loses tension where it clamps the ribbon cable. And yes, sometimes the switch matrix can go bad internally.

Also, it is very possible for an integrated circuit to go bad on the target interface board.

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 03:10:37 pm »
Is it the Single Ribbon cable matrix (Thin Spider) or the 3 ribbon cable matrix (Fat Spider)? if single, you can but a new one. If it is the three ribbon, then not many options there for a replacement spider.

However, being a Super Six, you might be able to upgrade to the Single Ribbon cable spider by replacing the board, matrix, cushion and spider/segments. I may have all of the parts here for that, but would need to look.

caffeineslug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2021, 06:13:08 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 03:14:50 pm »
I have the 3-ribbon fat spider version. If you have all the parts for the upgrade I may be interested in that. If you happen to find the parts, send me a message please.

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 12:30:22 pm »
The first thing I would do is test the test the board and target interface to see if you can determine if the problem is the board or the matrix. Carefully disconnect the three ribbons, and then test the board and interface using a jumper as shown on the manual. Your table above is half of what you need to test. I have included a screenshot of the manual showing the other part that has which pin goes with which letter.

looking at your marked ones, they don't follow any particular value, other than most use pins E and B. However, there are some E and B pins that are working. Given that there are 2 E and B pins, it could be one of them has an issue, so testing should help. If the board scores correctly for them, then the issue is the matrix. If it does not, then you can start trouble-shooting the Target Interface and Main board.