Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: groovyMAME allows full CRT use 15khz with a mame cab?  (Read 2311 times)

exibar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 01:42:35 am
  • I'm the creator of Exibar's Lair!
groovyMAME allows full CRT use 15khz with a mame cab?
« on: August 13, 2020, 11:58:38 pm »
sorry, been out of the scene for like 15 years LOL...

so does groovyMAME allow the use of a 15khz CRT completely?   What about BIOS setup and all that, how is that acomplished? 

I'm using an ArcadeVGA AGP model right now, but thinking about upgrading my cab MB....  Would be awesome if I could use the built in GPU instead of hunting down a PCIe ArcadeVGA 5000 :-)

Mike B

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: groovyMAME allows full CRT use 15khz with a mame cab?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 08:04:11 pm »
GroovyMAME is a fork of MAME that relies on special driver. The driver is crt_emudriver, and there's more info and downloads in the sticky - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151459.0.html

The guides to install crt_emudriver are at the top of the download page, but make sure to read everything on that download page first. You need video card that's compatible with crt_emudriver. Generally this means a desktop (or mobile) Radeon HD 5000 series card up to an R7 or R9 card, but not all cards work. And your choice may be influenced by searching this forum to find out if anyone is having issues modifying the card BIOS with Atom15 for 15kHz boot protection. Then you need to pick the right guide for your card.

We don't recommend using XP unless you're married to an existing setup and just want a card.

If this is getting a bit involved, I wrote a guide to explain the choices you're making a bit better, but it starts right at the beginning: https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/arcade/m-a-m-e-emulation-projects-and-discussion/89704-a-guide-to-connecting-your-windows-pc-to-an-sd-crt-tv-pvm-or-arcade-monitor#post1734991

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 09:28:57 pm »
good stuff thank you!

certainly not married to XP, if I'm going to upgrade the MB, I might as well throw in win7 or win10 if I'm able to... 
I just picked up a used ArcadeVGA 5000 PCIe card, so I I'll just wind up using that when/if I get ambitious and upgrade the MB in my cab ;-)   I like the idea of being able to use native 15khz anyway, instead of trying to rely on a driver and potentially burnign up the CRT...   these damned CRT's look like they are impossible to find these days too... this one has a brand new chassis and low hour tube, so I'm hoping to keep it around for a good number of years.  I have a spare, but it's in my Beast Buster's cab, I dont' really want to cannibalize the Beast Busters as it's in near mint condition after my restoration of it...

thanks!
  Mike B

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 09:51:16 pm »
crt_emudriver is far superior to an ArcadeVGA. It's easier to set up, more effective and more powerful. And cheaper too, though in your case that's not a factor. Just get a card that can use the Atom15 BIOS mod (also by calamity, download links in the guide i wrote) which is most of them up to the R7 270 or thereabouts. Then you get 15kHz protection during boot as well.

The switchres module in GroovyMAME is where the magic happens to select then modify modlines to match original hardware, and switchres doesn't work right without crt_emudriver.

Give the guide i linked a read-through.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:00:45 pm by buttersoft »

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 10:50:44 pm »
crt_emudriver is far superior to an ArcadeVGA. It's easier to set up, more effective and more powerful. And cheaper too, though in your case that's not a factor. Just get a card that can use the Atom15 BIOS mod (also by calamity, download links in the guide i wrote) which is most of them up to the R7 270 or thereabouts. Then you get 15kHz protection during boot as well.

The switchres module in GroovyMAME is where the magic happens to select then modify modlines to match original hardware, and switchres doesn't work right without crt_emudriver.

Give the guide i linked a read-through.

damn dude, you have me super intrigued here by this time wouldn't you know it :-)

I'm going to build up a system and try it out, I must have a video card I can use... hell I have stacks of them in totes in my garage along with other used gear, I'm sure at least one decent one that will work...  I have a few MB's, I have one in particular that I was thinking about using as an upgrade after pulling it from my gaming rig when I upgraded that...

thanks dude!  I'll read through yoru guide and see if I ahve any questions and try it out :-)  and hell, I ahve that 5000 coming in if all else fails ;-)

Mike B

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 05:23:52 am »
Check out substring's collab GroovyArcade.  If you're only interested in running MAME on the cab, it's far easier to get up and running, and just as good.