Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: any new tech to allow an old arcade lightgun to work on an CRT?  (Read 2878 times)

exibar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 01:42:35 am
  • I'm the creator of Exibar's Lair!
hey all!
    Been out of the scene for well over a decade and a half...  but my cab is still working nicely I'm happy to say....   http://exibarslair.com

Is there any new tech that will allow the use of the old school Arcade lightguns to work?  My cab is still running XP and MameWa .97 as a front end ;-) 
  But, I'm not opposed to upgrading her, I have much MUCH newer MB's laying around... but my ulitmarc ArcadeVGA is for AGP, so I'll ahve to find a PCIe version if I can, I guess theyu stopped making them? :-(

I have a tot FULL of old arcade guns, many working, some in various states of dissasembly... but I know I have enough for 4 or 5 complete guns with a ton of spare parts left over...  I'd love to use a pair of those on my cab...
   Back in the day the ActLabs guns were the thing to get... but I'm hoping that there is something new to interface the arcade light guns... I am using a WG 25" CRT as monitor.

thanks all!
   Mike B

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:52:10 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
Re: any new tech to allow an old arcade lightgun to work on an CRT?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 11:59:49 pm »
There are no solution readily available yet.
But if you can wait few months there might be something coming  :angel:

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 12:15:39 am »

LOL, been hearing that for well over 15 - 20 years now... It's always "oh new thing coming in a little while"  :-)   I would up writing drivers for some device that was promising back in the day, but they never quite worked right... jeeze, I don't even remember the name of the device it's been so long...  would have been for XP back then...

Will this new solution allow the use of "old school" arcade guns on a CRT?  yah, I know both are relics at this point, but so am I :-)  that would be cool to finally be able to use the old guns ;-)

Mike B

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 12:18:34 am »

Just saw your link to your gun system... super nice dude!  super nice!

Mike B

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:52:10 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 05:17:00 am »
Thanks  ;D

The new system I talked about will allow usage of some specific console gun models, to work on old CRT screens of course.
But I'm not sure about arcade gun models yet so I don't want to promise anything on this side.

I know many people have been saying that, and I totally understand that you are sceptical about it, it's fair.
Just stay tuned ;)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 05:22:27 am »
Sadly there is nothing new to interface old guns to CRT’s that I am aware of.
There are a few old solutions but they are rare, expensive or just hard to get going with new versions of Windows!

There is the Sinden gun system that works with CRT’s and modern screens that only requires a border around the screen to work.
They are not available to buy retail yet though as they were crowd funded, The first ones should be shipping any day now.

Other than that I have heard many rumours but nothing complete!

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 12:11:43 am »
There are a few old solutions but they are rare, expensive or just hard to get going with new versions of Windows!

There is the Sinden gun system that works with CRT’s and modern screens that only requires a border around the screen to work.
They are not available to buy retail yet though as they were crowd funded, The first ones should be shipping any day now.

what about the AimTrak gun electronics from Ultimarc?  I see they have a kit with just the guts in it that sounds promising, and is fairly cheap to boot...   
 I could put those electronics in a shell of an otherwise broken pair of arcade guns and bring them back to life perhaps :-)

any thoughts about the AimTrack guns?

Mike B

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 12:32:06 am »
The aimtrack guns are essentially wiimotes.  They work a little better than that, but adjust your expectations accordingly.  I would suggest you take a look at the two excellent diy solutions in the forum first. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 04:09:54 am »

what about the AimTrak gun electronics from Ultimarc?  I see they have a kit with just the guts in it that sounds promising, and is fairly cheap to boot...   
 I could put those electronics in a shell of an otherwise broken pair of arcade guns and bring them back to life perhaps :-)

any thoughts about the AimTrack guns?

Mike B

Aimtraks are fine but they are not close to the OG lightguns for CRT's they are a different beast altogether that require patience and time to set up properly.
They also need more frequent calibration if you are changing shooting position allot but on the positive side they are very quick to calibrate and can be done in game.
You can certainly put the innards in a broken old gun to bring them back to life though!
Remember though you also need the light bar to work with them also.