Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: mamewa front end? v.97 anyone remember this one?  (Read 4125 times)

exibar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 01:42:35 am
  • I'm the creator of Exibar's Lair!
mamewa front end? v.97 anyone remember this one?
« on: August 13, 2020, 11:23:29 pm »
Hey all!
    I've been out of the scene for a good number of years, just enjoying my build:

http://exibarslair.com

I have recently dusted it off and fired her back up again, she seems to work just as I remember :-)   Still running XP, with half gig of memory, and I think a 486/100 processor... PCI and AGP MB, with ultimarc interface for the 25" WG monitor.
    Well, looks like the top few inches, maybe top 4 inches and bottom 4 inches are chopped off on the monitor... and I could swear that the entire monitor was filled when I would play horizontal games, and even in MameWa.
    I have Mamewa .97 and I believe MAME .97 as well running on XP. using an Arcade VGA AGP adapter from Ultimarc to feed the Wells Gardner 25" monitor.

Any thoughts about getting her full screen again?

thanks!
   Mike B

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: mamewa front end? v.97 anyone remember this one?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 07:49:14 am »
Okay. I had a cup of coffee. Original response edited.

Wrecking that Neo Geo cab irritates the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of me.

Especially the lazy manner in which it was destroyed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:04:46 am by Mike A »

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 11:59:34 am »
I know this isn't what you came for but I'd be shocked to see Windows XP running on a 486 100mhz processor. Its minimum requirements are 233mhz, and 486s aren't officially supported from what I can find. Win 98 DID support it (barely) but Microsoft recommended a Pentium class processor for better performance.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 01:56:21 pm »

Wrecking that Neo Geo cab irritates the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of me.

Yeah that's not good.  People wonder why I'm so grouchy and preachy all the time.... I've been here since around 1999.... there was a period of several years where cabs were super cheap and people would buy up a perfectly nice cabinet for $100 and proceed to throw a franken panel on it.  Don't misunderstand, if you buy something you can do what you want with it, but I can scratch build a cab in a weekend and I barely know what I'm doing. 

My advice, go on ebay and buy a cheap one slot mvs and a multicart.  For under $100 you'll have hundreds of games all fullscreen. 

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:10:40 pm »

Well, I don't recall asking you now did I?  Back when you were in diapers these cabs were plentiful and a dime a dozen... 

so unless you have something useful to add to this thread, stay out of it.

Mike B

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 02:14:04 pm »
I know this isn't what you came for but I'd be shocked to see Windows XP running on a 486 100mhz processor. Its minimum requirements are 233mhz, and 486s aren't officially supported from what I can find. Win 98 DID support it (barely) but Microsoft recommended a Pentium class processor for better performance.

It might be a Pentium 100...  I'll have to check next time I fire it up...  It's not much more than that...

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 02:17:54 pm »

My advice, go on ebay and buy a cheap one slot mvs and a multicart.  For under $100 you'll have hundreds of games all fullscreen.

Why would I want to do that?  LOL

And yes these cabs were cheap as snot back in the day.....    right now my only issue is that MAMEWa doesn't go full screen and I was hoping that someone would remember any common causes for that...

Guess not.. it's all lazy today with LCD monitors, and pre-buit stuff :-(  The scene sure has changed I'm sorry to say....

Mike B

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 08:40:16 pm »
Guess not.. it's all lazy today with LCD monitors, and pre-buit stuff :-(  The scene sure has changed I'm sorry to say....

You took an existing cab and painted over the stickers. That is the epitome of laziness. Your cab was prebuilt.

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 09:08:32 pm »

You took an existing cab and painted over the stickers. That is the epitome of laziness. Your cab was prebuilt.

No stickers on a NeoGeo cab...  all painted to begin with...

and If you are not going to add to the conversation, bugger off and go back to TikTok.

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 01:49:41 am »

I have recently dusted it off and fired her back up again, she seems to work just as I remember :-)   Still running XP, with half gig of memory, and I think a 486/100 processor... PCI and AGP MB, with ultimarc interface for the 25" WG monitor.
    Well, looks like the top few inches, maybe top 4 inches and bottom 4 inches are chopped off on the monitor... and I could swear that the entire monitor was filled when I would play horizontal games, and even in MameWa.
The ABIT VH6-II was a PIII board, so PIII, 800MHz.

If your machine has been sitting, I'd guess that your screen size problem is with the pot on the remote adjustment board (or chassis). You should check if it's the raster by turning up the brightness until you can see the lines and confirm that the raster goes top to bottom before you try to find any software problems.

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 02:26:09 am »

The ABIT VH6-II was a PIII board, so PIII, 800MHz.

If your machine has been sitting, I'd guess that your screen size problem is with the pot on the remote adjustment board (or chassis). You should check if it's the raster by turning up the brightness until you can see the lines and confirm that the raster goes top to bottom before you try to find any software problems.

yes, I just checked earlier tonight...  It's a P3, but 400mhz cpu.

thank you, where it is right now I can't get to the back, I have to pull it out but have to make room first for me to be able to get in the back there... LOL...

It has been sitting for about 3 years since the last time it was powered on....  she blue screened, and I had to revert back to last known good for it to come up...  so I figured it would be something software wise that went off....   I'll check the screen adjustments this weekend, I have a signal generator I can put on the chassis as well if need be and I can verify the screensize that way if it's a hardware issue.

thank you!
   Mike B

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 02:35:56 am »

you were correct, turns out it's a P3-400mhz with half gig memory... no speed machine by any means, but much quicker than a 486/100 LOL

Mike B

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 07:57:50 am »

No stickers on a NeoGeo cab...  all painted to begin with...

and If you are not going to add to the conversation, bugger off and go back to TikTok.
Sorry. They looked like decals in the pic.You couldn't even bother to completely paint over the previous paint job? And you call an LCD build lazy? Have some pride in your work.
Deconvert that cab back to a NEO Geo. Get a JAMMA adapter and you can put any JAMMA game, PC, Pi, or multiboard in it. The cab will look much better and you will be preserving a little bit of history.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 08:04:30 am »
Try to absorb what I said. Arcade history matters.
Your flippant attitude about it is repugnant.

I won't comment any further on this matter.

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 01:46:53 pm »
Try to absorb what I said. Arcade history matters.
Your flippant attitude about it is repugnant.

I won't comment any further on this matter.

and once again, you are adding nothing useful to this conversation other than coming across "holier than thou" ... take your crappy, whiny ass, childish attitude bugger off....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:49:56 pm by exibar »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 03:42:59 pm »
It is thou not though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 07:54:08 pm »
It's not childish to want to keep people with no respect for the past from destroying things that we'll never see again. 

formula409

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2021, 02:13:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 10:45:56 pm »

I was about to reply and suggest that people are overly sensitive about cheap MDF cabinets, but then I looked at the pictures and saw the control panel and marquee.

Nevermind. You're right.

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 11:09:58 pm »
It's not childish to want to keep people with no respect for the past from destroying things that we'll never see again.

this was built 20 years ago almost....  ROFL

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 11:12:34 pm »

I was about to reply and suggest that people are overly sensitive about cheap MDF cabinets, but then I looked at the pictures and saw the control panel and marquee.

Nevermind. You're right.

and, so, lets see what you built then?  There is nothing wrong with my marquee and control panel...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 12:42:36 am »
There's a ton wrong with it.  You had a very nice MVS cab that looked great and then you globbed on a bunch of junk that made it look worse than it originally did.  Why in the world did you paint over the side art and remove the marquees?  Yes you ruined it 20 years ago... you still ruined it... time doesn't take away what you did.  Surely you don't actually play anything on that cabinet... I mean it has claw machine joysticks installed. 

Regardless, since you won't listen my suggestion would be to try and get ahold of Minwah  ..... he's probably the only guy that's going to be able to help you out in this day and age.   Don't show him the cabinet though as he might change his mind about helping. 

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 03:27:55 pm »
There's a ton wrong with it.  You had a very nice MVS cab that looked great and then you globbed on a bunch of junk that made it look worse than it originally did.  Why in the world did you paint over the side art and remove the marquees?  Yes you ruined it 20 years ago... you still ruined it... time doesn't take away what you did.  Surely you don't actually play anything on that cabinet... I mean it has claw machine joysticks installed. 

Regardless, since you won't listen my suggestion would be to try and get ahold of Minwah  ..... he's probably the only guy that's going to be able to help you out in this day and age.   Don't show him the cabinet though as he might change his mind about helping.

well, thank you for your opinion... that cab would be ashes right now, so yah, I did save it and used it for what *I* wanted to use it for...  you use your stuff for you...   they were a dime a dozen, the guy literally had 30 of them lined up to be scrapped, along with other cabs... all became firewood...    I restored dozens that he had back then to full working order, but you don't care about that either because you just want to insult other people's work....

lets see your build???

Mike B

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 04:44:43 pm »
Sure you restored dozens of machines. I can tell by your amazing craftsmanship.

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 08:07:47 pm »
Sure you restored dozens of machines. I can tell by your amazing craftsmanship.

You have zero clue at all, who I am, what I have done...  all you are are arrogant and rude...  and you have yet to add anything meaningful to this conversation.

just..... bugger...off already

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2020, 03:24:13 am »

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 04:04:45 am by Mike A »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »

well, thank you for your opinion... that cab would be ashes right now, so yah, I did save it and used it for what *I* wanted to use it for...  you use your stuff for you...   they were a dime a dozen, the guy literally had 30 of them lined up to be scrapped, along with other cabs... all became firewood...    I restored dozens that he had back then to full working order, but you don't care about that either because you just want to insult other people's work....

lets see your build???

Mike B

*sigh*  First off you do realize calling me "Mike B" isn't an insult to me right?  I like Mike, he's a good guy.  No if you'd called me exibar b maybe...  If you've restored dozens of cabs then you should have had the skill to restore this one and built one for your purposes from scratch.   It's about preservation.... wouldn't have mattered if you did a fantastic job altering that cab, you would have still altered the cab, which is wrong.  It doesn't matter that they had 20 cabs lined up to be destroyed, you had the opportunity to save at least one, and you didn't.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  If you want to look at anything I've built feel free.  My racing rig is probably over in the driving forums but my other stuff is much older and the search function is broken, so I wouldn't even know what to search for to find it.  You'll find my build aptitude isn't anything stellar, but it's more than competent.  Not that it matters since you are deflecting away from what you did.  It's like when you catch a  murderer in the act and they say "Yeah so what?  Let's see how many people YOU haven't murdered!  Do you have proof that you aren't a murderer?"

Oh and btw you are welcome for getting an answer to your question.  "Thank you" is supposed to be the appropriate response when someone helps you.  This is the second suggestion I've given you.  You spit the first one back in my face even though it was perfectly valid and then the second time you completely ignore my response.  Go track down Minwah and leave us be. 

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 04:54:05 pm »
yes preservation....  why build from scratch when there is a perfectly good cab waiting to be re-purposed instead of used as firewood...

and again, you are not adding anything to this conversation, so go away in a puff of arrogance with your little friend there and bugger off...  you are not wanted here!  I sure hope you two are not representative of what this scene has become...  :: sigh ::

Mike B  (see, real men sign their messages with their name or handle, that's what this is, my name....)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 06:37:11 pm »
Howard signs every message with his first and last name. It is his handle. My handle is my name. By your criteria both of us are more manly than you.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2020, 07:27:47 pm »
This is idiotic. Some of you don't like that the guy painted over the cab but it's his to do what he wants with. You made your comments, get over it.  Big shock that Howard Casto is getting into it with someone else because he goes around trying to bully people and tell them they're wrong and he's right. Probably about 99% of his 15,000,000 posts.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2020, 07:46:37 pm »
Another person who doesn't appreciate history. Wonderful.

The only reason you goofs can even play emulated games is because there are people who cared enough about the history of arcade games to preserve them.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2020, 09:25:46 pm »
So history was destroyed when one person painted over a Neo Geo cab. Amazing they had that much power.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:27:53 pm by Jayinem »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2020, 09:26:52 pm »
You really can't be that stupid.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 09:28:10 pm »

You're blowing me away with your intelligence.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2020, 09:28:27 pm »

You're blowing me away with your intelligence.  You're being a dick realize it and move on but you're not capable.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2020, 09:34:05 pm »
You thought it was important enough to chime in.

It isn't just this one person. It is the accumulation of this attitude.

Does one person wreck the park if he throws a candy wrapper on the ground? Of course not. But if everyone does it you have a giant mess.

If you make people dispose of their trash correctly the park stays clean.

Are you capable of following an analogy?

I want people to know that this is not okay. Maybe people will stop destroying these cabs if they realize their historical value.

Do you need more clarification?

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2020, 11:34:59 am »
You thought it was important enough to chime in.

It isn't just this one person. It is the accumulation of this attitude.

Does one person wreck the park if he throws a candy wrapper on the ground? Of course not. But if everyone does it you have a giant mess.

If you make people dispose of their trash correctly the park stays clean.

Are you capable of following an analogy?

I want people to know that this is not okay. Maybe people will stop destroying these cabs if they realize their historical value.

Do you need more clarification?

No you are being a dick, right from your first post... being a royal ass actually...  both you and Howard

There is nothing historical in re-purposing a NEOGeo cab... no damage done to history at all...  it's not like it's a Pong or a Space Wars cab or some other cab that is historically significant or even a cab that is even remotely rare...  Especially at the time I built it 20 years ago...
   So get off your high horse, with your partner in the arrogant bully game, and bugger off already.... your kind is not wanted here, nor is your input on ANYTHING, if you want to appear intelligent, go back to TikTok where the average user is closer to your mental age....

Mike B

exibar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 11:36:35 am »
This is idiotic. Some of you don't like that the guy painted over the cab but it's his to do what he wants with. You made your comments, get over it.  Big shock that Howard Casto is getting into it with someone else because he goes around trying to bully people and tell them they're wrong and he's right. Probably about 99% of his 15,000,000 posts.

Thank you Jayinem!  I knew I couldn't have been the only one that has seen this.

Mike B

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2020, 12:10:24 pm »
Nevermind.

I am just going to make a TikTok dance video.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:45:15 pm by Mike A »