Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Light Gun on Kickstarter made by Arcade Europe  (Read 7130 times)

jimjim84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2020, 07:47:22 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New Light Gun on Kickstarter made by Arcade Europe
« on: August 13, 2020, 07:17:04 pm »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcadeeuropelightgun/arcade-europe-lightgun?ref=ksr_email_backer_backer_confirmation&fbclid=IwAR17kom1zRJyRDmCPJlZxLNuqhn_9f-tbBYLFgOvBeRA09T6G6gHjoj5QwM

Waiting to see more info, but thought this would be the place to discuss this.  There isn't too much information on how it would work, so I am curious to see what they reveal and demo.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 07:44:58 pm by jimjim84 »

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
Re: New Light Gun on Kickstarter made by Arcade Europe
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 08:18:38 pm »
The Kickstarter video shows them only using an on screen crosshair.  If that's the case for the final product, this would be a hard pass from me.  The whole thing seems long on background and promises and short on details.  No lightbar or screen boarder, but no info on what it does use.  The on screen crosshair only video makes me think presentation mouse which is basically gyro tracking i think.  And those are pretty inaccurate without an on screen cursor.  The gun shell grip looks pretty bad to me.  Flat at the back with sharp right angles looks uncomfortable as hell to me.

I am glad to see more lightgun ideas coming out. The more competition the better, I think.  But I don't see much I like here.

And shipping in November?  Wow, that would be extremely fast.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:36:32 pm
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 10:17:56 pm »
It says at one point it uses a camera.
So I guess it's a kind of image analyzing like the sinden, but without border. Which seems like a very bad idea that might not work well on dark games with OLED screens  ::)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 02:04:59 am »
The Kickstarter video shows them only using an on screen crosshair.  If that's the case for the final product, this would be a hard pass from me.  The whole thing seems long on background and promises and short on details.  No lightbar or screen boarder, but no info on what it does use.  The on screen crosshair only video makes me think presentation mouse which is basically gyro tracking i think.  And those are pretty inaccurate without an on screen cursor.  The gun shell grip looks pretty bad to me.  Flat at the back with sharp right angles looks uncomfortable as hell to me.

I am glad to see more lightgun ideas coming out. The more competition the better, I think.  But I don't see much I like here.

My thoughts exactly.

I did ask them direct but they just said they could not tell me anything about it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:23:07 am »
Well I'm not sure.  Even when a lcd is displaying black it's still emitting light or some kind of radiation.  With the right camera and the right filter a monitor might look like a glowing cube regardless of the visible picture displayed on screen.  That's just in theory though... I'm unsure if a camera exists that would pickup whatever funky radiation a monitor gives off. 

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 04:59:55 am »
My bad, I misread I guess, it says "The gun does not work with a camera."
It basically mean it's a kind of air mouse using a gyroscope.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:44:47 am by JayBee »

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 05:02:52 am »
Well I'm not sure.  Even when a lcd is displaying black it's still emitting light or some kind of radiation.  With the right camera and the right filter a monitor might look like a glowing cube regardless of the visible picture displayed on screen.  That's just in theory though... I'm unsure if a camera exists that would pickup whatever funky radiation a monitor gives off.
Not OLED. On OLED black is black, since the leds are totally off in that case.
Even normal LCD aren't emitting a wide range of light/radiation anyway, impossible to pick up anything outside the visible spectrum (or maybe components heat but that's not very relevant   ;D )

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 08:24:18 am »
Aka a crappy gun that will never work precisely.
Yeah, no camera, no led bar and no screen boarder.  But how it works is a secret.  The more I look at this the more sketchy it looks.  No mention of needing to use on screen crosshairs unless you notice it in the video.  They say "they are committed to make everything in our own workshop and not rely on other companies from other continents".  An electronic device fully made in a workshop in Czech Republic?   :o  No configuration, no installation files?  "Own power source so the gun does not rely on the PC/CPU chipset it is plugged into and is not draining valuable power from other sources."  So it plugs in but still needs a separate power source?  Is that a separate cord?  Batteries?  Happy thoughts?  And the Kickstarter funding ends October 2020 with shipping estimated November 2020?  :lol  This really looks like a presentation mouse in a gun shell selling for $178 for early birds or up to $237 for later buyers!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 04:17:48 am »
I have been seeing it pop up on my facebook feed allot the last few days and pretty much everyone is saying the same things.
No info, not interested and its a over priced Gyro mouse.

I think they have finally got the message as they said they will be uploading more info and videos over the next few days so who knows might get to see something interesting then!

Until then it would still be a hard pass for me!

Well tbf it would be a pass even if it does work the way its claimed because:
1) its damn expensive and I would want 2 of them.
2) My lightgun money is already invested in the Sinden.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 02:44:29 am »
This popped into my head again this morning so thought I would check in on the project.

So the KS is failing miserably but they have uploaded a demo video.
And no surprise really he is having to use cross hairs or walk the gun shots onto target so not really impressive.

Not seen it popping up in posts anywhere now either so its looking pretty dead in the water.

ginzu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2023, 06:51:54 am
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 11:23:06 am »
shame this project looked awesome.

Arcadeeurope

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2021, 10:18:09 am
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 08:49:42 am »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcadeeuropelightgun/arcade-europe-lightgun?ref=ksr_email_backer_backer_confirmation&fbclid=IwAR17kom1zRJyRDmCPJlZxLNuqhn_9f-tbBYLFgOvBeRA09T6G6gHjoj5QwM

Waiting to see more info, but thought this would be the place to discuss this.  There isn't too much information on how it would work, so I am curious to see what they reveal and demo.

Thanks for the post! we did not see this. Yes, our Kickstarter we left and put efforts into finishing the project. It is just finished now.

Yeah, no camera, no led bar and no screen boarder.  But how it works is a secret.  The more I look at this the more sketchy it looks.  No mention of needing to use on screen crosshairs unless you notice it in the video.  They say "they are committed to make everything in our own workshop and not rely on other companies from other continents".  An electronic device fully made in a workshop in Czech Republic?   :o  No configuration, no installation files?  "Own power source so the gun does not rely on the PC/CPU chipset it is plugged into and is not draining valuable power from other sources."  So it plugs in but still needs a separate power source?  Is that a separate cord?  Batteries?  Happy thoughts?  And the Kickstarter funding ends October 2020 with shipping estimated November 2020?  :lol  This really looks like a presentation mouse in a gun shell selling for $178 for early birds or up to $237 for later buyers!

We are from the UK, Yes it is made in Czech Republic. Liberec, our region, is an automotive region meaning we have access to top quality electronics and moulding facility's. Why would we outsource to china for cheaper and lower quality when we know we can control the production and control the quality. Sounds like you knew all of that anyway.

We make our own controllers boards because what was/is available on the market we do not want to use anymore. We can produce top quality controller boards and harness that take us 5-10 minutes to install and they immediately work...... or use the current market options ::)

My thoughts exactly.

I did ask them direct but they just said they could not tell me anything about it.

Titchgamer - We thought we just ignored you.

SammyWI - Yes, it kind of was fast but not fast enough. The Project was nearly completed when we made the kickstarter.

This popped into my head again this morning so thought I would check in on the project.

And no surprise really he is having to use cross hairs or walk the gun shots onto target so not really impressive.

Not seen it popping up in posts anywhere now either so its looking pretty dead in the water.

No, we finished it. I think at one point we had a delay with the material for the mould which slowed us down launching for November/December.

We did not really rush the project and we did not have any media ready because by the time we have 3D prints we ready we had the mould ready, so it looked like we stopped but our lead times crossed over and  by this time we had already started to license the tech out and made some more upgrades, the gun shape changed and we had additional options for the gun (wireless is in amongst other things) .

We started some small demo clips here without a crosshair and here with

Some images of the mould. Not sure if they will show immediately -------> (Note that any files attached will not be displayed until approved by a moderator.)

As for posting, if anyone wants to know anything about the gun please feel free to write in and ask us.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 04:05:15 am
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 12:32:25 pm »
Well, the obvious question is, how does it work, what tech is in the gun? Honestly, after watching the videos, it looks like an air mouse more than a traditional lightgun.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 12:27:51 am »
I like the wiimote and Dolphin Bar.

It just works.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 12:31:10 am »

Thanks for the post! we did not see this. Yes, our Kickstarter we left and put efforts into finishing the project. It is just finished now.

We are from the UK, Yes it is made in Czech Republic. Liberec, our region, is an automotive region meaning we have access to top quality electronics and moulding facility's. Why would we outsource to china for cheaper and lower quality when we know we can control the production and control the quality. Sounds like you knew all of that anyway.

We make our own controllers boards because what was/is available on the market we do not want to use anymore. We can produce top quality controller boards and harness that take us 5-10 minutes to install and they immediately work...... or use the current market options ::)

My thoughts exactly.

Titchgamer - We thought we just ignored you.

SammyWI - Yes, it kind of was fast but not fast enough. The Project was nearly completed when we made the kickstarter.

No, we finished it. I think at one point we had a delay with the material for the mould which slowed us down launching for November/December.

We did not really rush the project and we did not have any media ready because by the time we have 3D prints we ready we had the mould ready, so it looked like we stopped but our lead times crossed over and  by this time we had already started to license the tech out and made some more upgrades, the gun shape changed and we had additional options for the gun (wireless is in amongst other things) .

We started some small demo clips here without a crosshair and here with

Some images of the mould. Not sure if they will show immediately -------> (Note that any files attached will not be displayed until approved by a moderator.)

As for posting, if anyone wants to know anything about the gun please feel free to write in and ask us.
That's good and all, but you're not answering the questions we asked about your system.
What kind of tech is it? It looks like a simple gyroscopic sensor, is that the case?
Also if you have no software nor sensor, how does you gun detects the game aspect ratio and mouse active area to have on sight accuracy?
I don't want to be dismissive of your project, but can you please answer those simple questions to the community?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:49:14 am by JayBee »