Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: any interest in these cut LCD's for marquee display?  (Read 2396 times)

CitznFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
any interest in these cut LCD's for marquee display?
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:00:47 pm »
I can get them to you for $300 + shipping (~ $35 )

They are NEW in box. There are 5 but I am using 1, 2 other sold, 2 remaining are available.

No power cords come with the display. They are powered by 12v from your PC or arcade power supply. I had to rework the molex connector in the LCD to make it connect. Super easy to do. Just cut the old molex off, extend the wires to your PC power supply, ad a new Molex connector that fits your PC, or wire in to your switching arcade power supply. Done.

They accept DVI or VGA connections. Each box comes with a long DVI and a long VGA cable.

Once powered on Win10 recognized immediately.

I have NOT tried to display a marquee on these yet as I haven't gotten that far with my build. I do not see any reason why these won't display a marquee. I assume there may be a possibility of some banding on the left or right side depending on if you fit or stretch the marquee image.

These appear to be smaller then what I have seen around. They are 5.125" high and 19.5" wide. 22" screen.

metal frame easily comes off for painting.

Native resolution is 1680x342

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:25:26 pm by CitznFish »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: any interest in these cut LCD's for marquee display?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 03:26:57 pm »
Those are really cool but the standard dimensions are 24" x around 5.5"(visible) for a cabinet.   If they were cheaper maybe. 

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 04:55:10 pm »
Yeah, the size is different but I think the aspect ratio is very close. Marques should look good. Price...I wish I could control that, lol.

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 10:24:57 pm
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:49:20 pm »
This US only or will you ship to Canada? Any idea of cost to ship to Canada if yes?

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 01:06:17 pm »
This US only or will you ship to Canada? Any idea of cost to ship to Canada if yes?

Sure, why not?  UPS says roughly $74 Canadian from California to Toronto for a 7lb package that's 10x10x30

TBF I estimated the box dimensions because I'm lazy and watching F1 qualifying.  ;)

If you are really interested PM me your shipping details and I'll look it up properly and measure the box I have..it's close though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:20:48 pm by CitznFish »

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 01:11:48 pm »
For Lunchbox Big box users, if the marquee doesn't fill the entire screen, use this: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/1324-mr-retrolusts-marquee-screen-filler-magic/

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 01:24:30 pm »
2 left

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 05:42:12 pm »
Got it up and running. Quite surprised how well the marquees fit.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 11:11:31 pm »
I want this so bad... just about 4 inches wider and an inch or 2 taller. Frankly if my wife hadn't gotten laid off this spring I'd do it anyway  ;D

I've been wanting a dynamic marquee for freakin years.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 01:29:46 am »
I wonder how hard it would be to cut monitors.  I've seen vids of it and it looks like a pretty primitive process.  It'd just be a matter of having enough junk monitors to experiment and get the process refined to work reliably.  There are companies like LiteMax that will do it for you but you have to inquire for a quote, so I bet they are expensive.  I also wonder about folding screens... in theory a OLED can be bent.... just fold the excess out of the way or something.  There's also magnification of a smaller lcd, but I can't think of a way to do that without creating a funhouse mirror when viewed at the wrong angles. 

I'm thinking of doing a pedestal.  If I do I'm just going for it and throwing a lcd above the monitor.  I mean it's a non traditional cabinet shape anyway.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 10:34:23 am »
companies like LiteMax that will do it for you but you have to inquire for a quote,       

Over the years I've contacted 5 different companies about getting a 24" x 7.5" screen and none has contacted me  back. I assume they only want volume orders.

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 10:54:33 am »
Have you tried all the companies on AliExpress? Iirc it was $400 + $200 shipping for one even with custom sizes

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 11:01:37 am »

the cutting part looks easy enough.
but have no idea what the sealing part is and if there needs to be a vacuum.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:28:12 am by nitrogen_widget »

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 12:08:32 pm »
Have you tried all the companies on AliExpress?

Hah hah, I haven't tried *all* of them. I tried 3 that looked the most reputable. And I've tried 2 other companies that I didn't find on AliExpress. None contacted me back at least after I gave them the specs of what I wanted. I think 1 or 2 did the initial reach out, but never any further response. I did get on their email lists to receive fantastic offers about custom monitors for several years.

Frankly (under normal circumstances), I'd be willing to pay $600 delivered for a custom size. Right now with my kids music and skating lessons and sports and going out to eat and everything extra canceled...  my wife would rightly murder me for the insurance money if I dropped it on a half-monitor.  :laugh2:

the cutting part looks easy enough, but have no idea what the sealing part is and if there needs to be a vacuum.

There needs to be a vacuum... probably for dust more than anything else... even the tiniest dust particle that got in would be really, really noticeable. That said, it'd be easy enough to use the old moist-bathroom trick to make a poor-man's clean room. Pretending that isn't the *real* problem, when I have searched for DIY methods to cut down an LCD, there's literally nothing on the net (other than "that's impossible" talk). That's a freakin rarity. The company that does cut them down aftermarket has a patent on the cutting & sealing technology. In my mind it probably looks a lot like a heated commercial paper ream slicer  ;D but who knows. I have a pile of old LCDs... I have half a mind to take one and chop one side off and melt it shut  just to see what happens.  :laugh: :laugh2: Sometimes one just has to know something. Too bad I'm not a youtube star, people would pay me to do this kind of damage just for laughs.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 12:36:40 pm »
Have you tried all the companies on AliExpress?

Hah hah, I haven't tried *all* of them. I tried 3 that looked the most reputable. And I've tried 2 other companies that I didn't find on AliExpress. None contacted me back at least after I gave them the specs of what I wanted. I think 1 or 2 did the initial reach out, but never any further response. I did get on their email lists to receive fantastic offers about custom monitors for several years.

Frankly (under normal circumstances), I'd be willing to pay $600 delivered for a custom size. Right now with my kids music and skating lessons and sports and going out to eat and everything extra canceled...  my wife would rightly murder me for the insurance money if I dropped it on a half-monitor.  :laugh2:

the cutting part looks easy enough, but have no idea what the sealing part is and if there needs to be a vacuum.

There needs to be a vacuum... probably for dust more than anything else... even the tiniest dust particle that got in would be really, really noticeable. That said, it'd be easy enough to use the old moist-bathroom trick to make a poor-man's clean room. Pretending that isn't the *real* problem, when I have searched for DIY methods to cut down an LCD, there's literally nothing on the net (other than "that's impossible" talk). That's a freakin rarity. The company that does cut them down aftermarket has a patent on the cutting & sealing technology. In my mind it probably looks a lot like a heated commercial paper ream slicer  ;D but who knows. I have a pile of old LCDs... I have half a mind to take one and chop one side off and melt it shut  just to see what happens.  :laugh: :laugh2: Sometimes one just has to know something. Too bad I'm not a youtube star, people would pay me to do this kind of damage just for laughs.

allie express sells the machines that I expect to handle the cutting and sealing considering how much they cost.
I did not look further than the 6k to 16k prices. :)

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 04:25:45 am »
Those LCD Marquees look really nice, but I cannot afford any new expensive $300+ toys as we are saving, our personal future is some what uncertain.

Not to be put off though, how about a cheaper alternative that would cost about $55?

How long do you power your cab to play games?  Do you want your marquee to display a static image or maybe a mov or flv of the game advert as well until you put a credit in?

I would be tempted in dropping $55 on a viable alternative. I am sure it has been done before.

It would be a nice experiment/project.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 01:42:45 pm »
i think the pico projector has been tried.
though if I did it i'd use a screen from a projection TV.

you can also wire up cheap rgb led strips into a matrix and hook a controller up to them.
though the controllers that accept a video signal and translate it are about 100$ and used primarily for wall sized projects.
but arduino works for smaller ones and only limited by how many gpio's it has.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 03:35:22 pm »
I contacted one of those suppliers. They got back to me pretty quick. Off  the top of my head I think these are the specs I asked them to quote:

23.9 inches wide. 1920 x 540. Cost $500 + $90 shipping to St. Louis, MO from China. Not cheap, but not a deal breaker (in the grand scheme of things)

Not to be put off though, how about a cheaper alternative that would cost about $55?

Seen it done. Wasn't a fan. I've seen $2000 of home-projection equipment in a dark room still didn't look that great. A $55 projector in a lit room isn't going to be great.

@CitznFish, how many more of these do you have to sell? One? I have a friend that might be interested.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 06:41:48 pm »
Yeah projectors don't really work..... you have to have a super bright light to get the illusion of a lit marquee right via projection and anything bright enough would likely cause heat issues.  The trouble with rgb strips is they are too low res to display actual marquees.  Great for a signboard though.  Anyway 600 for a marquee is insane.  At that point it just isn't worth the price tag vs what you can do with it. 

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 07:58:45 pm »
Anyway 600 for a marquee is insane.  At that point it just isn't worth the price tag vs what you can do with it. 

Agreed. Also... this hobby breeds insanity so...  :dunno