Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: native resolution of snes and megadrive (genesis) like  (Read 4429 times)

ninjitsu12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2022, 10:30:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
native resolution of snes and megadrive (genesis) like
« on: August 12, 2020, 04:56:27 pm »
hello friends, as I do for snes and the megadrive to be in native resolution 2560x0, I already looked here on the forum and found an R-Typer member who posted this

First, you will have to do the following:

-these configs are for 60Hz consoles so use NTSC roms (not PAL) for snes and megadrive emulation.
-place these resolutions in user_modes.ini. run vmmaker and click generate and install. make sure you have these resolutions working by checking them in Arcade OSD:
 256 x 240 @ 60.000000 snes
 320 x 224 @ 60.000000 megadrive

I generated these modes and also changed the .cfg of the emulators to make it the same as in the configuration that it passed, but it is only the game in window mode on the left side above, but it also didn’t help, my video card is a 4800 hd, the GM it's normal, my emulators are zsnesw and gens, i don't use retroarch, is it obligatory to use retroarch?
Thank you

totozero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2023, 07:36:05 am
Re: native resolution of snes and megadrive (genesis) like
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 06:55:45 am »
Hi,

if you want all the bells and whistles of modern emulation for consoles on crt (super resolution, switchres, runahead) yeah retroarch is the way to go.
Once set up, it's really impressive.

Another road is to use groovymame for snes and megadrive, it's fine as well (super resolution, overclocking, frame delay and native frequency) and you could get rid of other emulators.

I use both and never looked back as of today.

If you need help, I can point you out with settings.

Cheers.

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 12:30:39 pm »
hi totozero searching here on the forum and on youtube i managed to do it for retroarch, but when i leave retroarch and go back to the windows 7 desktop, the screen is very stretched and you can't see or understand anything, i don't know how to change it, maybe I don't know if you need to use arcadeosd, because I never used it
Thank you

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 03:52:09 pm »
Hey,
you mean on exit when using retroarch with super resolutions ? Yeah, I know, kind of tricky.

You HAVE to use rgui and then set it up like this :

ngs is

Settings on last picture are located under Settings>User Interface>Appearance

It should revert back to your desktop native res upon exit.

Cheers.

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 02:29:45 pm »
Thanks totozero I will try to do that tomorrow, because at the moment I'm not home
tomorrow I answer for you if it worked
thank you very much

hello totozero, I left the configuration the same as yours, although some were already the same, but it didn't work, I also forgot to mention that this happens only when I'm using attract mode together with retroarch, if I use retroarch only and leave for the desktop it is normal, but with the attract mode of this, the desktop screen is at 2560, I do not know how to solve this yet because I want to use the attract mode.
thank you
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:44:04 pm by ninjitsu12 »

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 03:37:41 am »
Hmm, that's odd. I use Attract-Mode as well, though it's an old build.

Your problem may come from different places in your setup.

Are you sure you're using gl driver in RA ? D3D10 driver gave me the same issue as yours.

Besides what's your hardware setup exactly ?

Drop your config files for RA, AM and VmMaker in a zip file, I'll look at them.

Cheers.

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 09:01:38 pm »
hello totozero I'm sending you the files, I also tested with the gl option and it was the same, I also sent a video of my arcade and a few more photos thanks
Another thing when you start the game is the joytokey window, but normal because I also tested it without it.
any retroarch emulator with attract mode gives this problem, in this case the video is the 3do emulator

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:39:26 am
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 09:10:21 pm »
I just setup retroarch and Groovymame for Saturn, dreamcast, snes, psx and a lot of other consoles running through attract more. Retroarch was a pain to setup. Pm me if you like to know more, I can share an image with you.

Cheers

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:59:44 pm »
hi mrchrister i would be very grateful if you post.

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 09:34:40 am »
Hey I took a quick look at your files.
What's your monitor by the way, a VGA one ?

1st things 1st, you have waaaay too many resolutions in your crt_emudriver.
Make sure you deselect mame.xml when using vmmaker.
You only want to create resolutions from your ini file (aka super resolutions retroarch or whatever it is)

Next in Attract Mode, choose fill option and enable resfix to redraw the frontend upon exiting the emu

Here's a quick video with these settings

EDIT : OK for whatever reason, I can't seem to make the yt video embed in the post.

Oh one last thing that occurred to me is "maybe" (mark the quotes) since you use 640x480, it fails to revert back after switching to progressive super res. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm not sure on that part as I run a 15khz only monitor.

Let me know if it worked.

EDIT2 : I managed for the video, good for me !

Ate mais tarde ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:35:56 am by totozero »

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 02:04:19 pm »
hello totozero, so in the photo you sent from attract mode the resfix is already activated and the filter wrap mode is the same as yours, I haven't done the vmm maker test yet, but I'll do it later, part you mentioned
  Oh one last thing that occurred to me is "maybe" (mark the quotes) since you use 640x480, it fails to revert back after switching to progressive super res. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm not sure on that part as I run at 15khz only monitor.
where do i put these quotes?
another thing my arcade is a 15 khz arcade tube.

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:39:26 am
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 04:55:53 pm »
I definitely have this problem as well. Doesn't happen with Groovymame but retroarch doesn't always switch back to 640x480 and keeps the desktop in some super resolution.

When going through attract mode I don't have this problem. My retroarch.cfg is definitely messed up. Now when I launch games in retroarch they display in a corner of the screen and the rest is glitchy. I tried fixing it but to no avail. In the end I can live with my current setup since everything works correct through attract mode
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:57:51 pm by mrchrister »

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 09:09:19 pm »
hello totozero, so in the photo you sent from attract mode the resfix is already activated and the filter wrap mode is the same as yours, I haven't done the vmm maker test yet, but I'll do it later, part you mentioned
  Oh one last thing that occurred to me is "maybe" (mark the quotes) since you use 640x480, it fails to revert back after switching to progressive super res. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm not sure on that part as I run at 15khz only monitor.
where do i put these quotes?
another thing my arcade is a 15 khz arcade tube.

Dam, this is hilarious, but I don't know if you're actually joking or if it's some kind of language misunderstanding ?  :) :cheers:

If it's the latter, I just wanted to tell you when I wrote "maybe"with quotes that my explanation was an assumption and not an educated guess at all.

You don't have to put "maybe" in your mame.ini or anywhere else, man.
But you made my day, obrigado  ;D

BTW, for the record when I looked at your attract mode cfg file, resfiix wasn't enabled  ;)

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 09:31:44 pm »
Well, desktop resolution doesn't seem to be an issue.
I set up mine to 640X480 instead of 640x240 and it reverted back to normal each time I closed RA.

OK next step reinstall vmmaker as I showed you and ...

I almost forgot, but did you disable AMD External Events Utility service ? It's known to f... up with res switches.

Code: [Select]
In Windows, Press Win Key + R > in the Run dialogue box type in > services.msc.
Find a service called AMD External Events Utility.
Right click it > Properties.
Hit Stop.
Then change startup type to Disabled.
Hit Ok.

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 09:39:20 pm »
My retroarch.cfg is definitely messed up. Now when I launch games in retroarch they display in a corner of the screen and the rest is glitchy. I tried fixing it but to no avail. In the end I can live with my current setup since everything works correct through attract mode

This one has correct settings.
Overwrite yours with it or compare both, your call.

alex2005

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:21:14 am
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 07:37:03 am »
I generally use mame for snes and md, with super resolutions works just great.
My only exception is retroarch for Neo Geo CD because it is more torelant with the game formats and it has a speed hack.

I however have an issue with retroarch, when launching a Neo CD game normally i get cracking sound on the first launch. Most times I have to exit the game and launch it again to have the sound fixed. I do all this through HyperSpin and been playing with the ahk module quite a lot.

I manage to get the right resolution but by some reason the audio is most of the times having issues, unless I launch the game a second time, then the issue will be completely fixed.
Or I can also hit alt+enter and this seems to fix it. So must be something with the display not being picked up correctly on the first launch. But it looks and plays great.

Not sure if anyone has had this issue before, i'm still looking for a permanent solution :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:40:21 am by alex2005 »

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 06:03:40 pm »
Actually RA is better for nes/snes/megadrive/pce & pce-cd as it's way more permissive than mame regarding the files you throw at it.

Plus you have runahead which is awesome to remove internal lag and you can run any hacked & translated roms.

MSU1 support is a joy as well: rtype3 or sgng with enhanced soundtrack are really something to behold.

So it should be an obvious choice... RA all the way right ? Well mostly but NOT all the time.

Let's take Coryoon on pce for instance: the hu-card on the real hardware has hardly any slowdown. With PC-E core, on RA you will get some (for instance on the 2nd part of the first level). Groovymame runs it perfectly on the other hand, BUT the aspect ratio is totally fuc.. up. So pick your poison : full speed/wrong A/R vs slowdowns/correct screen.

This is just an example amongst many others !

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 09:42:42 pm »
hi totozero so i did the tests you asked me for the attract mode resfix is activated, the vmm configuration you asked me did too, but it didn’t work, the strange thing that I didn’t notice that when I choose a genesis game or snes for attract mode and I leave it and choose some game from mame the screen from mame is small and stretched and you can’t see anything from the game, more because the desktop is with that resolution that I sent you in the photo that is in 2560, and if I go straight through the mom in attract mode, this problem is not normal until the desktop is normal, this with a configuration from the vmm maker.
when I put another configuration of the vmm it happens to the contrary the groovymame is normal and the desktop too, but the games of snes and genesis is bad
I am sending 2 files from the ini that I used in the vmm maker and also the photos for you to see.
about the quotes it must be me who got it wrong kkkkk

something else on my windows 7 home premium does not have the option AMD External Events Utility service
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:08:00 pm by ninjitsu12 »

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 07:22:59 pm »
Here are my config files for retroarch, attract mode and vmm.
Compare them with yours and see if you can spot differences.

One thing though, I don't play any pal games so there are no 50hz resolutions set in vmm  file.

Happy hunting !  ;)

alex2005

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:21:14 am
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 12:15:26 pm »
Here are my config files for retroarch, attract mode and vmm.
Compare them with yours and see if you can spot differences.

One thing though, I don't play any pal games so there are no 50hz resolutions set in vmm  file.

Happy hunting !  ;)

Your retroarch.cfg file seems to fix my crackling sound issues, thanks a lot!

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 01:33:33 pm »
Glad to hear  ;)

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 03:05:20 pm »
thank you totozero I will take the test tomorrow, this weekend I didn't have much time, then I send the answer

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 05:10:50 pm »
hi totozero, even with your retroarch.cfg and your super.ini, it still made snes and genesis games work cool, but when I leave it and go back to the attract mode screen, I already realize in the background that the desktop resolution for 2560, and when I'm going to enter the groovymame the game is all stretched up, just like I said if I go straight through retroarch and choose a game and when I leave the problem on the desktop its resolution is 640x480
the problem always happens when i am with attract mode, another example if i enter attractmode and choose a groovy mame game first, the game runs perfectly and when i exit the game and close attract mode the desktop is normal at 640x480
now i managed to make a way to leave the scale at 256 has improved, but i think that the snes or genesis games lose their native quality, because i'm not using 2560 anymore, you know if it has anything to do
Thank you for now

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 07:27:51 pm »
Hey, in order to narrow down the causes and isolate the trouble, you can try a few things :

- kill attract mode process and run retroarch.exe directly,  run a game and then quit RA : does it switch back to 640x480 or not ?
If it reverts back, then the problem comes from Attract Mode else it's related to retroarch.

- did you set up an hotkey into attract mode to quit retroarch ? That could kill RA process without giving it the opportunity to change the resolution upon exit. You have tu use RA own 'quit' option (binded to esc button by default)

- do you have a multiple monitor setting ? Meaning your videocard is hooked to another monitor besides the arcade one

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2020, 08:46:26 pm »
hi totozero I have now managed to make it work normal with your tip to create a shortcut key for the exit.
thank you so much for more than a week trying this, thank you for your patience

totozero

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 06:55:50 am »
Yay, buy me a beer !
You're welcome dude.  ;)

ninjitsu12

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 08:57:50 pm »
for sure totozero i will send by fedex ;D ;D ;D