Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fire safety recommendations for mounting de-cased TV inside wooden frame  (Read 2163 times)

Domarius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2020, 03:31:28 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I need to de-case the replacement CRT TV I found for my arcade cabinet since the built in speakers on the sides make it too wide to fit.

I'm comfortable coming up with a design that will secure it in the same way that the original case did, but my concern is fire safety.

The custom frame I will build will be made from MDF and structural untreated pine. I'm aware that the housing of electronic appliances are made from a plastic that has a fire-retardant component in it to make it compliant with fire safety standards, so it's concerning to me to be replacing this with flammable wood. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for fire safety.

I attached a photo of the TV with the back off for reference.  FYI the make and model is Panasonic TX-29FJ50A

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
The real concern is your exposure to xrays. The plastic housings provided a substantial amount of shielding. That's why those xray aprons you wore at the dentist were made of plastic. The lead was to simply keep them in position.

You may get lucky and your cabinet design will manage to neutralize the xray emissions through what's called the fairaday effect, but it's hard to be certain without very expensive equipment not available at the consumer level.

Oddly enough, one of the early signs of xray poisoning are changes in your digestive system as various bacteria are killed off and a new gut biome takes over. This will most readily manifest in changes to the color of your feces. I suggest that you take some documentary photos now, perhaps even upload them here just to make sure they're backed up, and compare after 2-3 weeks of exposure.

Should you find a change, luckily the effects can be reversed in time and you'll probably be back to normal in a couple of years.

Stay vigilant.

Domarius

• Offline Offline
I am so lucky that you, personally, took the time to reply to me and write such an informative post.  I really hope you didn't spend too long on it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
TVs were inside wooden boxes for decades.  You’ll be fine.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
The real concern is your exposure to xrays. The plastic housings provided a substantial amount of shielding. That's why those xray aprons you wore at the dentist were made of plastic. The lead was to simply keep them in position.

You may get lucky and your cabinet design will manage to neutralize the xray emissions through what's called the fairaday effect, but it's hard to be certain without very expensive equipment not available at the consumer level.

Oddly enough, one of the early signs of xray poisoning are changes in your digestive system as various bacteria are killed off and a new gut biome takes over. This will most readily manifest in changes to the color of your feces. I suggest that you take some documentary photos now, perhaps even upload them here just to make sure they're backed up, and compare after 2-3 weeks of exposure.

Should you find a change, luckily the effects can be reversed in time and you'll probably be back to normal in a couple of years.

Stay vigilant.
I totally hope you are joking...I so  don't want to see this guys poop.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
WOW now I didnt expect to read that when I came into this thread lol

TV will be fine, CRT’s been mounted in wood cabs for decades.
Keep a fire extinguisher in your home and dont block access to the power plug will be fine.

PBJ gunna PBJ.

Domarius

• Offline Offline
Thanks guys, yeah, they have been case-less in wooden cabinets for decades... kind of obvious now that you mention it... ::)

@jennifer - not to worry, it's a long-winded and roundabout attempt, but a joke nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:57:18 pm by Domarius »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
TVs were literally sold in wooden cabinets until the early 80s.

Anyway, stay safe, cut some boards, and we're glad to have you.

:cheers:

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Damn, that definitely needed to be enclosed in [Sarcasm] [/Sarcasm] tags :) :) :)

Domarius

• Offline Offline
TVs were literally sold in wooden cabinets until the early 80s.

Anyway, stay safe, cut some boards, and we're glad to have you.

:cheers:
Heh.  Yes, they were.
Damn, that definitely needed to be enclosed in [Sarcasm] [/Sarcasm] tags :) :) :)
Did it really, though?   :o

Jeppe77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2020, 09:39:01 am
Re: Fire safety recommendations for mounting de-cased TV inside wooden frame
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 02:11:47 am »
Put a smokedetector inside the cab:D