Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: It only took me 20 years, I finally can emulate NFL Blitz/2000 arcade games  (Read 11352 times)

Jayinem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I didn't know if this day would ever come.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Does it run gauntlet legends 100%?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
What about Castlevania III.... are the extra sound channels working?

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
Make all the jokes you want I am happy. I just got California Speed, Cruis'n USA/World and the Rush games working with my steering wheel too.

I wish there was a list of Mame roms that take a more powerful PC to run in case I'm forgetting some.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:33:04 am by Jayinem »

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
Does it run gauntlet legends 100%?

My interest level in Gauntlet Legends is like a 2 out of 10, maybe I'll check one day.

Does anyone know if NBA Showtime is fully playable?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:35:53 am by Jayinem »

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
Hrmm http://www.mameui.info/Bench.htm

NBA Showtime has some small sound skips that sucks o well.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:24:51 am by Jayinem »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Here is video of it in play.

Doesn't the dreamcast version pretty much play identical and easier to emulate?

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
Yeah I have a rom of the Dreamcast game, and you're not wrong about it playing easier it even works with my wireless arcade stick while the arcade rom doesn't. But the graphics are not as good. Maybe I should try messing with some settings in the Dreamcast emulators to try to get it to look as good.

I can tell a difference in some games though like NFL Blitz  and some of the Midway arcade racers (I just realized all the games I'm interested in are Midway) with the gameplay on the arcade vs home versions. They just play smoother to me.

Here's a review of NBA Showtime on Dreamcast where the reviewer also kind of poo poos the graphics https://futuregamez.net/nba-showtime-review/

Also I do have it working good MAME now, there's a setting you have to change in dip switch graphics to low. But to me even when you do that it looks better than Dreamcast.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:07:40 pm by Jayinem »

Rockstead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2024, 05:34:13 pm
Make all the jokes you want I am happy. I just got California Speed, Cruis'n USA/World and the Rush games working with my steering wheel too.

I wish there was a list of Mame roms that take a more powerful PC to run in case I'm forgetting some.
Is Blitz the most resource intensive game on Mame? What specs did it take to finally run it properly?

Jayinem

• Offline Offline

Is Blitz the most resource intensive game on Mame? What specs did it take to finally run it properly?

Nividia GEForce GTE 1650 16 GB Ram
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz, (up to 4.1 GHz) 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

There are better computers out nowadays, but this is a laptop that cost me $900 on Amazon. It can play pretty much any PC game to date as well as emulate most everything.  There's already computers out now that can make you pretty much next-gen proof which this is not but they cost almost double but I'm happy with this as far as everything up to 2020.

Before I bought this which was just a few weeks ago, I always had pretty crappy computers I had one that was 8 gb  of Ram but cheap processor couldn't play any modern PC games and certainly not NFL Blitz. So it does take a pretty decent computer to emulate Blitz properly.  I mean a lesser computer can always play the Dreamcast rom of NFL Blitz 2001 and there's nothing particularly wrong with it, but the arcades are superior.

I think as mentiond above, Gauntlet Legends is the Mame rom that takes the more power to emulate properly, but Blitz is up there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:01:28 pm by Jayinem »

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
MAME .223 just dropped today.

Machines promoted to working
----------------------------
Adders and Ladders (v2.1) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood]
Barquest (v2.6) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood]
Blox (SJM BLOX, 50p/20p Play, Version 2.0) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wall, David Haywood, Angelo Salese]
Business Computer Corporation Busicom 141-PF [Robbbert]
The Crystal Maze (v1.3) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood]
The Crystal Maze Team Challenge (v0.9) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood]
The Mating Game (v0.4) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood]
NBA Showtime / NFL Blitz 2000 (ver 2.1) [Ted Green]
NBA Showtime Gold / NFL Blitz 2000 (ver 3.0) (SportsStation) [Ted Green]
NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC (ver 2.0) [Ted Green]

The New Crystal Maze Featuring Ocean Zone (v2.2) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood]
Nice Code Plug and Play Sudoku Game (NES based) [Sean Riddle, David Haywood, GameHistory.org]
Photo Y2K 2 / Chaoji Bi Yi Bi 2 / Dajia Lai Zhao Cha 2 / Real and Fake 2 Photo Y2K (M101XX 05/25/01 11:02:54) [iq_132, dink]
Prize Tetris (BWB) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wall, David Haywood, Angelo Salese]
SCCH LLC-1 [Robbbert]
Senario Guitar Star (US, Senario, NTSC) [David Haywood]
Strike it Lucky (v0.5) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood]
TaiKee Rockstar Guitar / Guitar Rock (PAL) [David Haywood]
Tetris Payout (BWB TET1 Version 2.2, set 1) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wall, David Haywood, Angelo Salese]
unknown rocket/animal-themed poker [Roberto Fresca]
Vegas Poker (prototype, release 2) (MPU4 Video) [Ryan Holtz, James Wallace, David Haywood, Highwayman]

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Showtime is fixed.... that's great news but I'll stick to NBA Jam TE.  It's depressing that new mame releases don't get me excited anymore due to the fact that everything I really wanted emulated has been emulated. 

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
Showtime is fixed.... that's great news but I'll stick to NBA Jam TE.  It's depressing that new mame releases don't get me excited anymore due to the fact that everything I really wanted emulated has been emulated.

Yeah I went back and looked at every change log since like .190 and nothing really excited me other than the ones I've already mentioned. The one I cared about the most was probably Street Fighter EX 2, but it's fine as a PS1 rom and it's not that great anyway.

I guess Cruis'n Exotica is about all I have to look forward to, other than newer non-Mame arcades getting working arcade dumps like Time Crisis 5, House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn, and Cruis'n Blast  (you can race as a Triceratops in it because why not lol)

Teknoparrot just destroys MAME nowadays. MAME devs have spent way too much time fixing Tiger Handheld crap games that I can't imagine anyone asked for. They were awesome in the early 2000s though.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:54:12 pm by Jayinem »

gauchomigo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2020, 09:21:58 am
What about Golden Tee on the latest Romset?  better?  Can an i5 4670 handle it?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
Re: It only took me 20 years, I finally can emulate NFL Blitz/2000 arcade games
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 04:21:57 pm »
I didn't know if this day would ever come.

Does it play Donkey Kong at full speed?

Asking for a friend.