Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an Arcade Cabinet for 200euro ($250)  (Read 2024 times)

duyvh0309

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 04:58:36 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Build an Arcade Cabinet for 200euro ($250)
« on: July 30, 2020, 04:04:21 am »
Build an arcade cabinet for around €200 ($250)

It all started with some SNES gamepads and a SNES emulator, but it all got slightly out of hand.

After we had done some SNES gaming with some cheap knockoff SNES gamepads we converted to usb, we wanted more. We came up with the idea to make a MAME arcade machine, and settled pretty quickly on the fact that a full size arcade cabinet was the only way that would fulfill our dreams. But, there's two of us (me and my friend) surely we can't share one machine, right? Of course not! We're building two of them!

That wasn't all. Why build a huge machine with only a single function? So we tried to come up with more. The major other feature of our arcade machine is a fridge! There's loads of space below the controls and the screen that we weren't going to fill with electronics like in the old days. So we've put a fridge in there. This of course did mean that there would need to be a door in the botom, and that also added a problem of sturdiness because the door can't help support the other three sides. But afterwards the machine ended up really sturdy, especially because the fridge holds it together a little bit as well by it's weight.

Before building the machine, we did a lot of planning and designing, stuff that, if you are genuinely interested in building a MAME, you might be doing at the moment. We know how hard it can be to find all of the perfect information in one place, so we will try to do our best to give you all possible information we've found in our building process.

DEMONSTRATION VIDEO

If you're not familiar with these terms I'll explain them here:
Bezel - the bezel is the plastic in front of the screen and the black around the screen
Marquee - the marquee is the image above the screen, this has a 'marquee light' behind it so it is backlit
Cabinet - the cabinet is another name for the whole machine, but especially the case

tomton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:38:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Build an Arcade Cabinet for 200euro ($250)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 05:14:28 am »
Video is not playing/showing so difficult to say anything about your design/plans.

One thing I can say is that $250 is extremely tight budget!