Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 player cab with PC and XBox 360  (Read 1518 times)

Hyunchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2021, 01:42:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
4 player cab with PC and XBox 360
« on: July 29, 2020, 06:47:52 pm »
I am trying to build a 4 player cab and use a pc for steam and windows games and also use a hdmi switcher to play xbox 360 games. I am new to building arcades and have searched all over to try to find a way to get my control panel to play on both xbox and pc. Before I buy any adapters and whatnot I want to ensure they work. These are my ideas so far but I am pretty new and just learning so I need some help

1. When I build my control panel if I use x-input, will this mean that it will work on my xbox and also on my pc?

2. If not, will the paclink adaptors and a ipac allow my control panel to work on both pc and xbox 360?

3. If this doesnt work, can I use a titan one on a control panel that I built using an ipac4, and then somehow use it to also play on my xbox 360?

Has anyone actually built a cab like this? Most all of the builds I come across use emulators.

Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: 4 player cab with PC and XBox 360
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:34:45 pm »
1.  Not necessarily.  All xbox 360 gamepads are xinput but not all xinput gamepads are xbox 360 compatible.  Microsoft uses a proprietary security chip on their hardware so even if something shows up as a xbox 360 gamepad using xinput on the pc, it might not work on the xbox.  So whatever you use you have to check specifically to see if it works on the 360.

I'm not familiar enough with those particular products to feel comfortable giving an answer, sorry.  Shoot Andy an email over on the ultimarc site and he'll be glad to answer any questions. 

There have been people that ran 360's in cabs in the past... not sure what interface they used though.  Myself I always just hacked up a gamepad for console compatibly but I'm a dinosaur.   

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 10:10:04 am »
I have a Logitech F710 gamepad for PC. It's XInput. When I tried using it with my XBox 360 - nothing.

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:05:58 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:35:25 pm »
You will most likely need to solder directly to xbox 360 gamepads. The fight sticks were good for these, but the price has gone up since back in the day.

Please find a better way than mine...it works, but it was a PAIN. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138229.msg1434833.html#msg1434833
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 04:28:00 pm »
I use 360 controllers for all of my projects so I will share what I know. The way I would do this is to use xbox 360 controllers as your controller interface. Which does mean you will have to do some soldering. If you are not super comfy soldering I would recommend these controllers, they have nice big pads to solder to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sealed-WWE-All-Stars-Brawl-Pad-XBOX-360-Controller-Hulk-hogan-John-Cena/173855431571?hash=item287a975b93:g:vnQAAOSwxCBcnlRs

Another advantage of these controllers is they have a switch on the back that lets you make the D-pad act as the analog stick on a 360 pad. This comes in handy for games that don't allow the d-pad for input...

If you are comfortable soldering then I would just use official Microsoft wired controllers.

I'm not sure about switching between 360 and PC, you may be able to find some sort of usb switch that would work. I've done this in my driving cab but with only one controller not 4.

You could use wireless controllers and use the wireless dongle on the PC and just use them as normal on the 360 but you might have pairing issues, you might turn the 360 on when you don't intend to ect. And you will have to worry about batteries unless you wire them to constant power...

My question is what games are you wanting to play on 360 that you can't play on pc?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 05:41:29 pm »
Yeah that's a good question.  Pretty much all arcade and arcade-like games released on the 360 were also released on the pc or are emulated on the pc.  Games with analog controls obviously aren't going to work on arcade sticks. 

Domarius

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2020, 03:31:28 am
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 07:44:48 pm »
Dude, I think I coincidentally just posted a solution for your situation.  Use disassembled knock-off 360 gamepads as your inputs.  Not sure if it's exactly what you're after but there might be something in it for you.  See my last post in this thread, with pictures.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152028.msg1719985.html#msg1719985

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:32 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 10:15:20 pm »
There are these encoders that work for both PC and Xbox 360:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf7IJVj6

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 11:36:29 pm »
Here's my only suggestion with either of those two options... plug it into your 360 and make sure it works before starting the build.  Not all Chinese knock-off parts are created equal.  At least from my experience some of the knock-offs work on the 360 and some just show up as an xinput controller in windows.... It all goes back to my original reply.