Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Materials other than MDF  (Read 20611 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Materials other than MDF
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 03:00:13 pm »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned MDO plywood.  I have to order it from my local Home Depot, but I never have problems getting it.  Kinda pricey but really smooth and durable.

Heh.  Someone didn't read the whole thread....

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:33:21 pm
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 08:11:24 pm »
I don't understand the MDF hate.  I built my last cab out of it with zero issues whatsoever.  Just treat all of the surfaces (seal them) and it's simple to work with although the dust sucks.

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 11:35:17 pm »
Here is an example of two materials being used because they best suit the intended purpose.  In this case high grade marine ply and very thick MDF:

The marine ply piece is serving as a brace.  The thin curved piece needs to be strong and accept screws along its edge.  No problem with marine ply.  MDF would not have been as good a choice.

The MDF piece has a smooth curved edge which will later be finished to a very high gloss, painted finish. I could have used plywood for this, but from experience the exposed laminated edge when routed is harder to get a good finish on.  Again from experience the laminated edge over time can subtly change with changes in temperature, expansion, contraction, and so on leaving a slight distortion in the high gloss finish i.e. a visible ripple.  The MDF will have no such issue, ever.

Used properly, MDF has properties that make it superior to other materials in certain circumstances.

jaywv1981

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 10:14:07 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 03:48:54 pm »
I've been using melamine for the sides and PVC boards for the framing and have been super satisfied with the look.  The PVC boards come in white and can easily be spray painted any color.  I typically paint them black.