Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells K7000 K257193 - vertical position way high???  (Read 1927 times)

Bitrate1980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2020, 05:44:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wells K7000 K257193 - vertical position way high???
« on: July 12, 2020, 10:33:30 pm »
Hello everyone. I'm having some issues with my K7000 and I am hoping someone will point me in a direction to look.

Been working on this monitor now for a while. Did all of the customary things as you do. Replaced the HOT, flyback, cap kit, VRM, new B+ cap, replace IC2, etc. Everything was going well - no more popped fuses, have a decent picture etc. However, I noticed that I cannot quite get the adjustments right for some reason. For one thing the v-pos is all the way up and the picture is still just a little bit low. If I push it any more I get some fold over on the top or whatever. No big deal - I'll just leave it a little low. Before you ask - yes, I did adjust to 50/60 pot. The horizontal size is a bit wide and I have been trying to make some adjustments. So I found C38 was not the correct capacitance for some reason (I am not the first owner of this thing and I am sure there have been many hands in it) so I replaced C38 with a another cap kit. I noticed that c36 was correct but c69 was not correct per the k7000 schematic. So I went ahead and replaced both. Still had issues adjusting it so I got a replacement P802 board (thinking that the pots were no good) and I tested the H-Hold pot to make sure it was in the right range. I then noticed that there were 3 resistors in R83 instead of the normal...1 resistor. Hmmm strange - one was on the bottom and 2 were stacked over each other on top. I read that R83 has to do with the vertical position so I assumed that might be my issue with how low the vertical position is. I replaced with the correct value per the schematic. Now I get a squished picture in the top that I cannot lower.  I checked C51, R100, R82, R80, R100 and they are all fine.  I am just wondering what else I should be checking to lower the v-pos so that I can keep diagnosing the width. I suppose I can put back in a different resistor value in r83 but I would really like to follow the correct specs. Attached are some pics before the r83 replacement and after as well as the strange fuses that were in there before.

Bitrate1980

• Offline Offline
Re: Wells K7000 K257193 - vertical position way high???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 02:58:47 am »
This is the best I can make it.  As you can see it just seems to be pushed to the top.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 01:55:26 pm »
It sounds like maybe you undid some factory mods.  I would put that all back the way it was.  Also make sure you have the correct schematic. Not all K7000's are the same.   Sometimes your positioning issue can be as simple as incorrect sync wiring.  E.g. if you're looking at -csync your sync should only be on the very last pin (pin 10) of the 10 pin video connector. Post some full top and bottom pics.

Bitrate1980

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 05:10:36 pm »
Okay - I will put it back and see what I get.  It's just strange that the schematic I have says something completely different but you are right - I may have the wrong one.

Here are some pics of the top and bottom of the board.  This thing looks like it has been places and seen things.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:04:34 am
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 12:36:09 am »
thats a 25" crt by looks of it, there were a few factory mods fitted which are not shown in the standard schems