Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY Steering Wheel Using PS4 Controller (NEED HELP)  (Read 4020 times)

masusaca

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2020, 11:28:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
DIY Steering Wheel Using PS4 Controller (NEED HELP)
« on: July 09, 2020, 11:17:32 am »
Hello! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. By the way I'm new and this is my first post. I wanted to post this on this forum since it is similar to what I want and many of you have experience with steering wheels for PC. I made a steering wheel out of cardboard. I know I could buy a professional made steering wheel, but I wanted to make something and learn a bit during this pandemic. I realized that the controller has motion, which means that if you turn the controller left or right the object you are controlling will move that direction (as an example).

I use the controller on my PC for some games, but the motion doesn't work on any of them (only on the PS4). I downloaded a program that allows me to use the controller with the motion. I tested it in some racing game and it does work. Now, my idea was to make a steering wheel, which I did.

I posted an image of the project and a blueprint of how it works (using the motion instead of the joystick).

So, then I began to have problems. The program that allows the controller to use its motion sometimes doesn't let the PC to recognize the controller (basically it doesn't work sometimes). I did play for a few minutes, it does work, and in the program, you should change some settings to make the steering work perfectly.

Then I decided to make the steering wheel work with the joystick instead (since sometimes the motion doesn't work with the program). Here is where i need your help. Based on the picture I provided to you, how could I make it work with the joystick? What sort of things should I do in order to make the joystick move to the left or right when I turn the steering wheel those ways?

image in link below.
https://ibb.co/h1HvR2K
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:39:41 pm by masusaca »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: DIY Steering Wheel Using PS4 Controller (NEED HELP)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:50:28 pm »
I realized that the controller has motion, which means that if you turn the controller left or right the object you are controlling will move that direction (as an example).
The controller device name you're looking for is "accelerometer."

It measures acceleration and rotation. (i.e. controller motion -- not pressing a button, turning a wheel, or moving a joystick)

As you have observed, accelerometers can be difficult to use.

I would not recommended trying to use one in an entry-level DIY steering wheel project.

An optical (mouse) 360 degree wheel or an analog (potentiometer) 270 degree wheel would be a much better control device.

I posted an image of the project and a blueprint of how it works (using the motion instead of the joystick).
Where did you post them?   :dunno

So, then I began to have problems. The program that allows the controller to use its motion sometimes doesn't let the PC to recognize the controller (basically it doesn't work sometimes). I did play for a few minutes, it does work, and in the program, you should change some settings to make the steering work perfectly.

Then I decided to make the steering wheel work with the joystick instead (since sometimes the motion doesn't work with the program). Here is where i need your help. Based on the picture I provided to you, how could I make it work with the joystick? What sort of things should I do in order to make the joystick move to the left or right when I turn the steering wheel those ways?
Without knowing what is in the image and blueprint, here are several options to consider:

1. If you want to use the PS4 controller, there's a 3d printable rack-and-pinion mini-wheel-to-analog-thumbstick adapter on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3062713

2. If you want to build your own full-size wheel for PC, you need to choose between an optical (mouse) 360 degree wheel or an analog (potentiometer) 270 degree wheel.

Based on that choice, we can help you select the correct encoder and provide feedback on possible hardware, pedals, etc.

Scott

masusaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 01:44:19 pm »
Where did you post them?   :dunno

1. If you want to use the PS4 controller, there's a 3d printable rack-and-pinion mini-wheel-to-analog-thumbstick adapter on Thingiverse.

2. If you want to build your own full-size wheel for PC, you need to choose between an optical (mouse) 360 degree wheel or an analog (potentiometer) 270 degree wheel.

Hello there! I forgot to post the image, but I put a link to the image.
1. I did saw that before, but the problem is that I wanted to make an almost real life size steering wheel. As you can see in the image, which I already did. Is just that sometimes that program doesn't let the controller to be recognize by the PC. So, I want to move onto the joystick and work from there. I just want any tips on how I can do that with the current steering wheel, if there is anyway.

2. I would prefer the potentiometer since it will give a more realistic movement, but the problem is that it involves a lot of circuit. I do know how to solder but I don't have that many component to make it. So, I would choose the mouse instead if my original idea doesn't work.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 04:36:10 pm »
1. I did saw that before, but the problem is that I wanted to make an almost real life size steering wheel. As you can see in the image, which I already did. Is just that sometimes that program doesn't let the controller to be recognize by the PC. So, I want to move onto the joystick and work from there. I just want any tips on how I can do that with the current steering wheel, if there is anyway.
If you want to use the analog joystick on the PS4 controller with a full-size wheel, you might be able to do a remix of -- or attach to -- the Thingiverse adapter linked above.
- You will need to have mechanical stops to keep the wheel from rotating too far and breaking either the printed parts or controller.
- Quick-and-dirty will not work with this approach.  The build must be precise and able to handle the leverage and torque generated by a full-size wheel.

The current setup will not work because the controller turns with the wheel.

2. I would prefer the potentiometer since it will give a more realistic movement, but the problem is that it involves a lot of circuit. I do know how to solder but I don't have that many component to make it. So, I would choose the mouse instead if my original idea doesn't work.
Potentiometers:
Not sure what you mean by "involves a lot of circuit."   :dunno

Pots are easy to wire to an analog encoder like an A-Pac, U-HID, or Arduino.
- 5v (red wire)
- Wiper (yellow wire)
- Ground (black wire)

You will need to have mechanical stops to keep the wheel from rotating so far that it breaks the pot or twists the pot loose.

Optical/Mouse:
You could try a variation on the mouse shooter from my really old Pinball Controller.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121927.msg1293874.html#msg1293874
* You can play the early levels of Tempest and even Arkanoid surprisingly well by turning the shooter.  If someone wants to build a vertically-oriented spinner version of the shooter with a flywheel instead of springs, it should work great as a next-gen mouse hack.

Scott

masusaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 07:23:47 pm »
The current setup will not work because the controller turns with the wheel.

Pots are easy to wire to an analog encoder like an A-Pac, U-HID, or Arduino.

I understand. I thought it would be bad since the whole controller rotates with the wheel. It does works for the motion, but not the joystick.

As of the pots. What I meant is that I believe I will have to do a lot of circuit with Arduino, buttons, the pedals stuff like that in order to get a proper steering wheel unlike my cheap cardboard version. I actually order these things a couple of days ago to test them out and hopefully make a steering wheel from it.

*ATmega32U4 Leonardo (In case I want to do everything from the arduino).
*https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-For-PC-Raspberry-Retro-Pie-Sanwa-or-Happs-Cables-Encoder/253327415867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=552486427496&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
The USB Encoder is the one I think will give me some trouble for the steering part. I can easily put a button on it, but the pots for the steering wheel I have not idea. Also, the pedals have to be sensitive like the triggers of a controller. I don't want a simple button that can only be push.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:25:21 pm by masusaca »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 09:22:41 pm »
As of the pots. What I meant is that I believe I will have to do a lot of circuit with Arduino, buttons, the pedals stuff like that in order to get a proper steering wheel unlike my cheap cardboard version.
The wiring is the least of the challenges with this project.   ::)

*ATmega32U4 Leonardo (In case I want to do everything from the arduino).
Good news:  The 32u4 Leonardo can handle microswitch inputs, analog (potentiometer) inputs, and optical (mouse) inputs.

Possible-not-so-good news:  You'll need to choose (or write) a sketch/firmware that goes with your controls such as StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware (raw optical inputs) or KADE miniArcade 2.0 firmware. (buttons and analog)

*https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-For-PC-Raspberry-Retro-Pie-Sanwa-or-Happs-Cables-Encoder/253327415867?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=552486427496&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
The USB Encoder is the one I think will give me some trouble for the steering part. I can easily put a button on it, but the pots for the steering wheel I have not idea.
The ZD encoder will only handle microswitch inputs. (4-way joystick/8-way joystick/buttons)
- It won't handle optical (mouse) quadrature waveforms or analog (potentiometer) inputs.

Also, the pedals have to be sensitive like the triggers of a controller. I don't want a simple button that can only be push.
As expected, analog (potentiometer) pedals and the inevitable, dreaded "feature creep."   ;)
-------------------------
A physical build of wheel and pedal controls entirely from scratch is a huge (and un-necessary) challenge.
- At a minimum get pre-fab pedals.
- Building them from scratch will almost certainly be an insane exercise in self-inflicted torture for you.  :dizzy:

Nothing personal, but based on your posts, it looks like you're in way over your head with the physical engineering, electrical, and software aspects of this project.

Some day, you may be ready for those challenges, but today . . . does not look promising.

The first step in that long journey is to study BadMouth's sticky "beginners" thread here.   :cheers:

Scott

masusaca

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 09:49:18 pm »
So, you're saying that the microswitch will be good for the pedals? I don't mind having to use it as a trigger and make the pedals from it. I could just use a mouse for the steering wheel. Although, there are some games where the mouse ins't used for turning and instead the W,S,D,A keys.