Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JvL Retro io battery replacement  (Read 2799 times)

fewpheonix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2020, 08:27:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JvL Retro io battery replacement
« on: July 08, 2020, 11:35:25 pm »
So I replaced the cf card in my JVL retro because I was getting the corrupted memory message and the touch screen stopped working at the same time. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. While tinkering with the machine, I was able to get the touchscreen working when I entered the setup menu and and then pressed the setup button to enter touch screen calibration. Strangely, this only works sometimes - specifically when the first target appears in the bottom left - but doesn’t work when the first calibration target appears in the top right. Anyway, regardless, I figure that if I replace the io battery, it may remember my setup adjustments and be less finicky (and stop the corrupted memory and restore factory settings messages on every startup). I have read other posts about replacing the battery and what I gather is that the io board has to be removed, the old battery has to be unsoldered and the new battery has to be soldered on. I have ordered the specific battery that was linked to in someone else’s post, and ordered a pen solderer/unsolder kit. I have never done any soldering with circuit board before, however, and would appreciate anyone’s advice about this particular job and any advice on removing the io board. Thanks guys!

Megatouchmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:06:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: JvL Retro io battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 04:50:46 pm »
Even with a bad ioboard battery, the screen should still calibrate.  Sounds like you might be looking at a bad touchscreen.  First thing I would try to do is remove the screen completely from the bezel and clean it.  Sometimes crud buildup especially on the edges can cause this.