Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HD 6450 no output except for HDMI ????  (Read 1145 times)

firedance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:06:36 am
HD 6450 no output except for HDMI ????
« on: July 08, 2020, 06:55:43 am »
Hi,

Have been given a old ATI HD6450 low profile silent graphic card, as they know i like to mess about with computers/arcades, tried it in 3 different pc's, there is no output via the VGA or DVI ports, the only way i can get a picture is HDMI, any suggestions what the problem may be and how to fix it,google search drew a blank ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum  ???

Cheers

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: HD 6450 no output except for HDMI ????
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 02:26:28 am »
So, when you plug in a VGA cable and connect to a monitor, and leave the HDMI output alone, you get no picture? What about when you plug in via HDMI, then get to the desktop, and plug in a VGA monitor as well? Windows finds nothing? Have you tried going to the display settings and forcing windows to turn on the VGA output?

After that, i guess it might be a video card/mobo BIOS settings issue? Or the card is broken.

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:05:11 am »
Thanks for your reply.

yes if i use VGA connection only there is no picture at all from a cold boot, no bios screen.

using HDMI only, can get to windows but when i also plug in a VGA connection while the pc is still on via HDMI it blacks out the HDMI picture (hope that makes sense), so can't see if windows detects the second montior.

i have seen a cheap HDMI to VGA convertor if i need to use the card in a arcade build if it comes down to it  :)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 04:38:18 am »
If you're going to use crt_emudriver, a whole new (cheap) video card is a much, much better option than a cheap HDMI converter. Much easier to use and probably a way better picture.

I don't know why windows is turning off the HDMI output. Have you tried getting to desktop using the HDMI port and forcing the VGA output to turn on under display properties?

Andi  would still go through your motherboard's BIOS screens carefully to see if there's any options there.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:57:36 am by buttersoft »

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 07:42:58 am »
not going to use crt_driver at all.

not much in the bios i'me trying to use it on, very old dell 755 core2duo  :-[, just auto or ONBOARD/PCI, tried both options, still no only via hdmi, will have a nother plat around over this weekend  :)

thanks again for your replies  :applaud:

firedance

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 04:53:41 am »
Just tried the card in my main gaming rig (ryzen 5, B450 motherboard etc) worked straight away via the DVI output, so at least i know the card still works defo something a miss with the older pc's, will see if i can update the bios on the old dell 755  ???

**Edit** updated the dell from A17 to A22 bios, no difference, will still keep the keep as i know it works, just not in a dell 755.

The dell 755 works with a Nvidia GT710 PCI-E, from my neoncade bartop so know the PCI-E slot works.