Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What monitor would you all choose if given the choice?  (Read 1239 times)

paulwgraber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2020, 09:31:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What monitor would you all choose if given the choice?
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:50:21 pm »
If given the choice what monitor would you all get for a MAME?

Just curious.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: What monitor would you all choose if given the choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 11:03:40 pm »
A good answer would depend entirely on:

-Which games you really want to play

Horizontal ones?
Vertical?
Both?
Vector?

-Where you stand on the spectrum of authenticity
i.e. what will you sacrifice in accurate emulation of some games in order to play more games on the same machine.

There are a multitude of solutions and many people here have built the stuff that makes them all work.

It is a rabbithole (which is fun/sometimes frustrating to sort out.)

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 01:59:59 am »
If i truly had the option i'd de-case a curved ikegami multiformat broadcast monitor just for the hell of it. Might be a chunk of work there though.  If i had to pick an arcade monitor, I'd go a nice Nanao every time.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:49:12 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 06:49:22 am »
Sharp Image, simply because they are known & easy to fix, and can be modded to suit a range of tubes.
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 07:25:15 pm »
First choice would be a multisync monitor that is 25" or bigger- great for playing the widest range of games (both horizontal and vertical oriented on the same machine) and feel like you are not missing something on screen size.

For a real arcade monitor... WG, Kortek, Makvision are the ones I was choosing from for my projects.

I think the Makvision is the only one available new anywhere.

My first few years in this hobby I had to accept the fact that all the vintage machines in Hawaii were scrapped long ago and finding an old monitor was like stumbling onto a unicorn.

But as a result of that, (and obviously not everyone's first choice) I have also had reasonable results with a regular old consumer CRT, the right video card/ CRT emudriver and an Extron scan converter.

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.