Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to play GTAs + any action/driving game w/ steering wheel + controller on PS3  (Read 1611 times)

Jayinem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Disclaimer: This worked with MY steering wheel which is a little older wheel made for Xbox 360/PC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K1SI8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using this Mayflash Magic NS adapter which costs approximately $25 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K1SI8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But since this Mayflash adapter has compatibility with different modes including: PS3 controllers (more on this later), PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Wii U controllers, IMO it should work with just about any wheel out there unless it's one made only for PC or Wii, that is just my guess.

I just played GTA V I had the Mayflash adapter hooked up to usb and I my wheel attached to it through usb, before I did that I synced my Dualshock 3 through the adapter by simply plugging it into the adapter once then you can just use it wirelessly. Yes that's really about it, the wheel and the Dualshock 3 both share player 1.

This is very important because AFAIK there is no other way you can make a DS3 and wheel be the same player without the Mayflash adapter. Before I figured this out I was trying to play the entire game with the wheel but it's terrible and while there's a dpad most games like GTA V only lets you move with analog and you can't move up and down. This allows you to use BOTH the controller and the wheel so when you want to drive you use the wheel when you are on foot you can use the controller. This also works with GTA IV. Should work with the PS2 games as well because my wheel and DS3 synced through the adapter fully work with PS2 games no problem, other than I had to remap X button to R2 because my wheel gas pedal is R2, (PS3 games already use R2 by default) I can show you how to do that for PS2 games if needed. So basically any game like Driver, Wheelman where there's driving and on foot both this is perfect for. It's pretty fun and adds an element to the games IMO. I 100%'d GTA V before but this makes me want to play through it again.

The only downside that I've found using the Dualshock 3 while synced to the Mayflash adapter is it wont turn on your PS3, you have to use another controller to turn it on or just turn it on on the console yourself. Minor thing really, other than that it works perfectly, again as long as the wheel is compatible with the adapter but most likely it would be.

There may be other adapters to make this work on newer consoles I'm really not sure.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 02:50:52 am by Jayinem »