Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade Menu Resolution VS Game Resolution  (Read 1729 times)

ternary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2020, 02:29:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyArcade Menu Resolution VS Game Resolution
« on: June 24, 2020, 07:13:16 am »
I am using GroovyArcade and after a few hiccups have managed to get things running to a degree. I am now trying to resolve a futher issue, my setup is....

- Intel onboard GFX
- VGA to ArcadeRGB cable
- Hantarex Polo 2 25" CRT Monitor

When GroovyArcade boots and displays AdvmenuPlus, the image looks ok but does not fill the screen. Any attempt to enlarge it using the monitors remote board cause pincushion problems which I am unable to correct.

However, if I launch a game such as Mortal Kombat then the image looks perfect as shown in the image with the test pattern.

Is there a way to change the resolution / modeline that the menu uses to match the one Mortal Kombat uses so everything looks ok?

ternary

• Offline Offline
Re: GroovyArcade Menu Resolution VS Game Resolution
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:09 am »
So affer some more digging I think I am on the right track.

From what I can gather, the xorg.conf is what controls the resolution that the arch linux distro and therefore AdvMenuPlus uses. I can see how / where to edit that but am now trying to find out how I go about determining the correct values to use.

Is there a way I can see what actual modeline settings the Mortal Kombat rom is using when it loads in GroovyMame so I can then use these? Or is there a better way?

ternary

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 01:36:37 pm »
I have tried changing the monitor in the GroovyArcade setup menu but no matter what I select (even if I select one that is obviously wrong) then I still get the same results.

Is there somewhere else I should be changing the monitor setting other than the video setup section?

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:32:23 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 11:08:41 am »
I feel sorry to see you drowning on your own with no one giving you some help here ...

The GroovyArcade version you're using is hardly maintained by its author, hardly once a year, and it's really not updated. Anyway, this is what I can explain you :
- the AdvanceMenu is using a kernel built-in resolution, hardly any chance you can change it yourself unless you download the kernel sources, apply the 15kHz patch, and add your own timings. Why not, that's some advanced user resolution (in the case of kernel >= 5.6)
- the intermediate user answer is not that better either : you should create an EDID file based on the MK timings, add it to the initramfs, and change kernel parameters to not use the kernel resolution but instead force the screen EDID with the one you've built
- another possibility is to force the Xorg kernel resolution by editing the xorg.conf. That's probably what is already happening in VeS' GroovyArcade version, but this method is ... 10 years old, ad that's not how in 2020 things are supposed to be done. Anyway, you'd add/edit the required resolution timings. The easiest to do that is to find MK resolution + refresh rate, and use them with the switchres binary to compute timings.

No solution is easy. You may even end with a progressive resolution on your frontend, when an interlace one is much better. Well, that's the matter of personnal preference afterall