Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NOOB Question - Shifting screen position and Sliders  (Read 1264 times)

Wisco84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2020, 12:35:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
NOOB Question - Shifting screen position and Sliders
« on: June 13, 2020, 06:26:36 pm »
Hey Everybody.  So I've been enjoying this groovyMAME setup but wanted to know exactly how to shift the screen position.  I've seen Calamity post sometimes about adjusting the MAME.ini file and changing the "Porch" settings or something like that.  Basically what's happening is the computer output is appearing to the right and down from center.  Of course I can move it with geometry settings on the monitor (I'm playing on a PVM 2950 and BVM20F1U) but then the settings for the consoles (SNES, Genesis, Saturn, etc) are then shifted up and to the left of center.  Is there a way to make it so the computer output is closer to the consoles position on screen?

Also, I know it's not good to adjust screen position in game using the sliders in MAME because that breaks the 1:1 pixel display or something but is it ok to adjust the gamma and contrast sliders?  A few games, Violent Storm for example, are way too bright so I adjusted the sliders instead of adjusting on the Monitor.  Is that ok?  I don't seem to notice it causing any problems. 

That's all I've got for now!  Thanks!!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: NOOB Question - Shifting screen position and Sliders
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:10:10 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162886.msg1715471.html#msg1715471

The big quote in the middle of that post should steer you in the right direction for horizontal positioning.

Wisco84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2020, 12:35:53 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 12:36:26 pm »
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162886.msg1715471.html#msg1715471

The big quote in the middle of that post should steer you in the right direction for horizontal positioning.

Thanks!  So if I’m reading that correctly, it sounds like you can change H pos but not V pos?  Is that correct?  If that’s the case I guess I need to just adjust in the monitor each time like I’ve been doing. 

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 12:18:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 12:15:01 pm »
I have mine tvcrt configured for 248 visible vertical lines more or less by default. Yes, i see some black lines in 240p games but i can play 256p games without touching every time service menu.