Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How well does a CPO adhere to sanded plywood?  (Read 2652 times)

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
How well does a CPO adhere to sanded plywood?
« on: June 09, 2020, 05:03:08 pm »
If applying a vinyl CPO, like from Game on Grafix, to sanded, unfinished plywood will it adhere well enough, or is a primer or other treatment recommended?

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: How well does a CPO adhere to sanded plywood?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:42 pm »
I know this is a bit of an old topic and you probably have it handled,  but I figure it'd be useful (for someone) for it to have a posted an answer to it anyway.

In my experience, the GameOnGrafix adhere fine to just about any wood or metal, but I do have recommendations.

For wood,

1. absolutely clean the wood of all dust with a damp cloth and let dry before putting graphics on.

2. though the vinylish material does cover up some roughness, a solid coat of primer is better. It's amazing how much roughness there is in unfinished wood of any kind. I use Rustoleum 2in1 Sandable / Fillable primer. You can find it lots of places, but I get it from Wal-mart's automotive section for the lowest price. This primer can REALLY build up, I love it. Sands to a shine if you want. Great primer for any kind of spraypaint too.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/2-in-1-filler-and-sandable-primer

3. I recommend wrapping the material, and stapling it if possible so the glue can set. If you're going to wrap it around 2 sides over the corners, cut a slit first on one of the sides so you don't have to fold the material.

4. While the glue sets, press it with books or weights for a few days.

5. before the glue sets, press any air out from the center out using a bondo scraper or big flat piece of plastic of some kind. If you can't get a bubble to move, you can use a very sharp exacto to poke a tiny hole in the center to get rid of it. Keep the hole really small... the smaller it is, the less likely it'll be to build up dirt.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.