Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: joystick game list speed  (Read 6849 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
joystick game list speed
« on: June 08, 2020, 03:07:24 pm »
Been a long time since I've posted, but I'm still using MaLa after many years. I swapped in a WG D9810 and adjusted my MaLa layout for the new resolution I'm using. In playing around with it afterward, I noticed my U360 joystick is super sensitive with changing the selected game. I tried adjusting the polling and acceleration in the joystick options but that didn't seem to have any effect as far as I could tell. What am I doing wrong?

It might be that it's always been like this and I just learned to live with it a long time ago, but having a few dozen dedicated games, I don't use the mame cab much so I'm now noticing how touchy game selection is. Hopefully I'm just missing the right option to fix it.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
Re: joystick game list speed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:29:23 pm »
I use Mala 174 and a u360.  with a tap from zero to the limit (circular restrictor) - it moves one game.  both on large and short lists.  I have a modifier button programmed to go to the next alphabet letter on long lists.  I don't remember anything about setup but if there are any variables I can look at I will be happy to help. 

Pageapoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2020, 05:41:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 12:36:30 am »
I am having the same problem with my game list scrolling being too sensitive. I'm using the Ultimarc J-Stick. I have tried adjusting display delays for snaps, marquee's and videos as well as adjusting scrolling speed. Basically when I push down on the joystick, it will often skip over games rather than a nice, one at a time, scroll speed. I use Mala tree and it even happens on my Main menu, Arcade, and Consoles selection screens where I dont have snaps, etc showing up. Kind of at a loss on this. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to try it. I should note, it doesn't seem to be a problem when I use the keyboard arrows. Only happens when I use the Joystick. I will always love Mala, no matter what. She's my girl. This one problem drives me a little nuts though.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:21:06 pm »
I haven't found a solution yet. I don't recall what version of Mala I have but eventually I'll get around to trying the latest version in the off chance that resolves it.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Pageapoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2020, 05:41:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 05:41:46 pm »
I'm using Mala 182. I upgraded to that so I can have video snaps. As far as I know, that's the only version they will work on. The scrolling problem seems to be mostly related to delay settings for snaps, etc. I can't say for sure though. I'll keep messing with it and post if I find a solution.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 07:06:04 pm »
Reviving this to say that previously I didn't really get what "display delays" was, but yesterday I tried disabling that and it does slow things down enough that the problem is a lot better. But it still can happen easier than I want it to, and ideally I don't want it disabled at all. I've been running 1.7.1.0 so I tried upgrading to the 2 recent versions that I was able to find, I think 1.7.4 and 1.8.something (which was a beta) and neither one improved it.

Would be nice to have this improved. I saw that at one point a while back loadman seemed to be reviving things with the intention of working on mala again. Loadman, if you're out there, don't let mala die! ;D