Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT (Makvision) image is a large bluish blob. Dead, or repairable?  (Read 11956 times)

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:51:05 am
Re: CRT (Makvision) image is a large bluish blob. Dead, or repairable?
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2021, 06:47:19 pm »
more modern crt were more likely to develop gun issues than older tubes, possibly quality issues- made in china equals crap. Older monitors in cabs with the tube mounted flat like op wolf would do the same, crap would fall back into the neck and short the guns
strangely enough i worked with an redifusion tech in the uk back in the 80's and he used the whack the tube with a rubber mallet to fix this, it worked more times than it failed
rejuve would be the pro way forwards though

mamenewb100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2021, 09:29:49 pm »
That's awesome that you got it going again even if the problem could show up again later. CRTs are going to be like having Gold bars in the future. No signs the technology will be mass produced ever again. Much like gas vehicles starting to be phased out for an electric only future.
Life is a Game and we are all being Played.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2021, 09:56:38 pm »
In hindsight, I may be a little biased on rejuvenators...They are not for everyone.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2021, 01:01:52 am »
Reckon investing in a rejuvenator is definitely worth it if you have a lot of CRTs to service. Will be keeping my eyes and ears open for opportunities to get a good set at fair price.
Check out my completed projects!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2021, 01:31:56 pm »
Before you write that check you may want to consider a few things...The sockets are just as important as the machine you choose, without them it is useless, Most common for arcade tubes is it CR23 (difficult to find and spendy) best to spend more out of the gate with sockets (Imo). The Beltron (If you find one) doesn't get such a luxury, and at best you have to pin it with a universal...I have had many machines over the years and really like that BK for value/support. Beltron, with little support, Is probibally a better machine since it uses amps over voltage...as a result I have 5 of them, and one of those is even converted over to the CR sockets (project from hell)...Moral of this story is, A cheap bargain isn't really the goal when looking at rejuvenators since it becomes such a critical piece of equipment on your workbench if you mess around with tubes.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2021, 07:19:47 pm »
Before you write that check you may want to consider a few things...The sockets are just as important as the machine you choose, without them it is useless, Most common for arcade tubes is it CR23 (difficult to find and spendy) best to spend more out of the gate with sockets (Imo). The Beltron (If you find one) doesn't get such a luxury, and at best you have to pin it with a universal...I have had many machines over the years and really like that BK for value/support. Beltron, with little support, Is probibally a better machine since it uses amps over voltage...as a result I have 5 of them, and one of those is even converted over to the CR sockets (project from hell)...Moral of this story is, A cheap bargain isn't really the goal when looking at rejuvenators since it becomes such a critical piece of equipment on your workbench if you mess around with tubes.

Exactly what I've been thinking (or wanting to think, if that makes sense) for long time. Leading with the CR sockets issue  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:22:10 pm by Zebidee »

Baldbull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2023, 07:19:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2021, 03:12:03 pm »
Success! Replaced the transistor I broke, powered up.. everything looks good.

Something minor I just noticed.. is that for the first minute or two, I get retrace lines at the top of the screen... they go completely away.

It is in the basement.. fairly cold, 55 degrees.  is this a temperature issue, or something I should be concerned with?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2021, 07:06:36 pm »
It is pretty normal for a CRT to take up to 15 minutes to properly warm up.

While you're in there, might be worth checking your electrolytic capacitors (the aluminium cans) if you haven't already done so. They get old over time. Visually inspect carefully, replace any that look like they are bulging or leaking, but be aware they can fail with nothing obvious to see.

Ideally you'd have an ESR meter to check electrolytic cap health in-circuit (no need to remove capacitor from PCB to test). This is what I'd recommend as you don't have to replace good caps needlessly and you can check cap health whenever you want. However, not everyone has an ESR meter. If the caps are all looking quite old and tired you might just order a "cap kit" for your monitor and replace the whole lot.

Baldbull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2021, 06:02:04 pm »
It is pretty normal for a CRT to take up to 15 minutes to properly warm up.

While you're in there, might be worth checking your electrolytic capacitors (the aluminium cans) if you haven't already done so. They get old over time. Visually inspect carefully, replace any that look like they are bulging or leaking, but be aware they can fail with nothing obvious to see.

Ideally you'd have an ESR meter to check electrolytic cap health in-circuit (no need to remove capacitor from PCB to test). This is what I'd recommend as you don't have to replace good caps needlessly and you can check cap health whenever you want. However, not everyone has an ESR meter. If the caps are all looking quite old and tired you might just order a "cap kit" for your monitor and replace the whole lot.

On the component-level, everything looks really good.

I do have a question... and I'm not sure if it is an easy one to answer, but I'm curious what contributes most to the longevity or lack thereof, of a CRT?

In its past life, it was "used" a few hours a day... but powered on all of the time, so.. 80-90% of the time it had no input signal... it just had the OSD "DISCONNECT" box bouncing around the screen with a black background.

Currently, it is powered OFF all but several hours a week, when it is used... so no idle powered time, it is either in use, or powered off.  Wondering what is "best practice"? 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:53:13 pm by Baldbull »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2021, 07:43:55 am »
I do have a question... and I'm not sure if it is an easy one to answer, but I'm curious what contributes most to the longevity or lack thereof, of a CRT?

In its past life, it was "used" a few hours a day... but powered on all of the time, so.. 80-90% of the time it had no input signal... it just had the OSD "DISCONNECT" box bouncing around the screen with a black background.

... I know of no good reason to do this.

I have a second hand Acer LCD monitor with a yellowish patch burnt-in to the middle of the display because previous owner left it turned on all the time, and by default it shows this "ACER" bobbling around in the middle of the screen. Yep, burnt-in LCD monitor, from default pic on screen, just in case you were wondering if that were possible.

Much easier to get burn-in with a CRT. Once there, impossible to fix.

Currently, it is powered OFF all but several hours a week, when it is used... so no idle powered time, it is either in use, or powered off.  Wondering what is "best practice"? 

Turn it on when you want to use it, turn it off when done  :dunno
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:12:00 pm by Zebidee »

Baldbull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2021, 09:36:00 am »

... I know of not good reason to do this.

I have a second hand Acer LCD monitor with a yellowish patch burnt-in to the middle of the display because previous owner left it turned on all the time, and by default it shows this "ACER" bobbling around in the middle of the screen. Yep, burnt-in LCD monitor, from default pic on screen, just in case you were wondering if that were possible.

Makes sense to me.. but then you've got those "old school" folks who prefer to leave things on and suggest the cycling is what wears on some major components.

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2021, 11:48:39 am »

... I know of not good reason to do this.

Makes sense to me.. but then you've got those "old school" folks who prefer to leave things on and suggest the cycling is what wears on some major components.

It makes sense to leave modern computers on all the time if you run a server or use it 70% of every day. I would never feel comfortable leaving CRTs on full time. Not just burnt-in risk but they consume way more power and create more heat than LCDs or modern tech. Plus they have a high pitch frequency that I can always hear when it's on. But for Low Res graphics, no LCD can compare to the smooth graphics of a good CRT. That's my 2 cents. ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 11:53:33 am by mamenewb100 »
Life is a Game and we are all being Played.

Baldbull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2021, 10:04:09 pm »
Well, almost 8 months to the day... while playing, the exact same issue is back again.

Hopefully the fix is the same :)

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2021, 10:16:27 pm »
Maybe something else is putting extra stress on it. No harm in checking the caps. They can go bad even if they still look good.

Baldbull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2021, 02:15:00 pm »
Maybe something else is putting extra stress on it. No harm in checking the caps. They can go bad even if they still look good.

Worth a check for sure....

Confirmed, another short between Blue and Heater.  This one appears a bit more stubborn.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2021, 04:25:28 pm »
Oh right, I remember now, back to tapping the neck with a wooden spoon?

If the problem persists, you might have to bite the bullet and find someone with a rejuvenator.

Baldbull

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2021, 07:13:35 pm »
Oh right, I remember now, back to tapping the neck with a wooden spoon?

If the problem persists, you might have to bite the bullet and find someone with a rejuvenator.

Spoke too soon... the spoon seems to have done it again, but its very sensitive to movement.... unlike last time.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 07:44:42 pm by Baldbull »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2021, 12:31:05 am »
I'm guessing that bit of crap is partly stuck there "flopping" about. May need a rejuve.