Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with making wheel be Player 1 in Windows 10  (Read 2794 times)

Jayinem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help with making wheel be Player 1 in Windows 10
« on: June 03, 2020, 07:30:28 pm »
This wheel is for Xbox 360 and PC. When I turn on my PC as long as it's plugged in it defaults to Player 1. However sometimes I want to play it on 360 so I unplug it and plug it into 360, then when I'm done I plug it back into my PC but it then defaults to Player 2 or 3. The only way I've found to make it go back to Player 1 is a reboot. I have tried unplugging all the other controller devices, doesn't help. I've gone into game controller settings in Control Panel and made it the primary controller, somehow doesn't help. Windows makes everything difficult for no reason. They could just have in the control panel where you can select which controller you want to be player 1, player 2 etc... but no that would be too simple.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
Re: Help with making wheel be Player 1 in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 08:44:48 pm »
I think I might have fixed it.  I have a 360 for PC adapter for 360 controllers, which allows wireless 360 controllers to work. I also use SCPToolkit which allows a Dualshock 3 to act as a Xbox 360 controller on PC, and I have my wheel. I had to resync my 360 controller to the adapter. It made the 360 controller Player 1. I unplugged the wheel, then I unplugged the 360 adapter, then replugged in my wheel. It's been player 1 ever since even after I unplug/replug. Hope it's not ruined on reboot.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 06:51:55 am »
Not much help, but I had hacked xbox 360 fightpads in my cab and never could keep them correct after updating to windows 10.  I gave up and went back to a keyboard encoder which would be of no help here.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:26:24 am »
Not much help, but I had hacked xbox 360 fightpads in my cab and never could keep them correct after updating to windows 10.  I gave up and went back to a keyboard encoder which would be of no help here.

In many ways Windows is great but in lots of other ways it's terrible and it seems like those ways are done on purpose because there's no logical explanation for them. Do I think one of the richest companies in the world makes a bunch of mistakes and that's why it's the way it is? No I do not think they're mistakes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 01:09:29 pm »
They aren't mistakes but they aren't on purpose either.  We need features that 99% of the computing population simply doesn't need.  Windows assumes you will use one and only one game controller at a time.  This is because local multiplayer games are out of fashion and anything with multiplayer support does so via online connection.  Also if you are playing fps on the pc, you are probably using a keyboard and mouse so that's a huge chunk of the gaming population where this problem doesn't apply. 

Long story short they don't fix this problem because it isn't a problem for most people and it isn't worth their time and money. 

You think this issue is frustrating while playing a game, imagine having a program you are coding, 4 instances of notepad cheatengine and various out coding tools open to work on a project only for the gamepad to wig out and send the wrong id.  So you have to close all of that down, reboot, and then open it all back up and arrange everything the way you want it before resuming your coding.  By that time I've usually forgotten what I was working on. 

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:42:48 pm »
They aren't mistakes but they aren't on purpose either.  We need features that 99% of the computing population simply doesn't need.  Windows assumes you will use one and only one game controller at a time. 

I don't agree with that. There's still a lot of people out there playing with more than one controller on a PC and even some multiplayer games allow for multiple controllers to be used from one location. It may not be 99% the other way, but I'd say at least 20% of people who game on PC use multiple controllers, maybe not every single day or every time they play but at least on occasion. It's not some foreign crazy thing to need simply more than one controller otherwise they'd just make it where only one controller could work at once period.  I'm starting to see newer fighting games on PC and while yes many play online it's not like they rip out the 2 player options. Also I don't see how it would cost them so much money when they all they have to do is give you the option for player 1, player 2 etc... why would that cost a lot of money? They do it on all their consoles. It doesn't sound like a project that would cost them millions to me. They could throw it in a Windows Update with the many useless updates they give you like forcing you to change your browser to Edge which no one wants.

I do agree that coding would be 1000000x more frustrating though no doubt.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:54:34 pm by Jayinem »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 02:27:40 pm »
Sales figures don't lie... the best selling games on the pc by far are either single player or online multiplayer only.  The only exception I can think of in recent memory is streets of rage 4.  I would say fighting games are an exception, but recent games have been coded in such a way that you press A on the gamepad you wish to use just before the start of a match. 

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 06:54:28 pm »
Check out devreorder by Brian Kendall, though i think it's only for Dinput devices.

https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder

In theory it changes the order of the USB stack, but i could never get it to work. I'm really hoping he gets around to coding the GUI he's talking about.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 08:49:50 pm »
Check out devreorder by Brian Kendall, though i think it's only for Dinput devices.

https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder

In theory it changes the order of the USB stack, but i could never get it to work. I'm really hoping he gets around to coding the GUI he's talking about.

Nice, unfortunately for me all mine are xinput and can't be changed to dinput AFAIK, unless someone has a program that does that.

I think for me if I were to leave them all plugged in the same way they currently are, they would stay the same. Unfortunately I have to unplug the wheel to play it on 360 and a lot of good racing games on there. I have a package on the way (tonight supposedly) that will supposedly let me connect the wheel to both and switch with a button but I didn't realize this problem with the wheel changing #s at the time, and so I have a feeling it's going to be pointless if I'm unplugging the wheel from my PC after switching it to 360 trying to get it back to player 1.

Might have to buy another wheel just for 360 which is $100 because of this issue.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 08:59:19 pm by Jayinem »

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 09:45:00 pm »
I found a pretty decent way to handle it I think. If anyone ever runs into this issue. I don't know if anyone else has a wheel they're unplugging but you never know.

Download USB Deview: https://downloads.tomsguide.com/USBDeview,0301-13254.html
Select all controller usb devices and disable them. For me it's

Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows   Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows   Vendor Specific   Yes   Yes   No   No      FF422EB0   6/4/2020 8:35:45 PM   5/9/2020 1:06:32 PM   045e   0719   1.00   ff   5d   81      DESKTOP-3PL9AVA         8&22ce2950&0   xusb22   @xusb22.inf,%XUSB22.ServiceName%;Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Driver Service 22   xusb22.sys      Microsoft      260 mA   2.00   Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows   10.0.18362.1   CC_Install   xusb22.inf   Removable, UniqueID, SurpriseRemovalOK   

XBOX_360_DEVICE_01:03   USB Input Device   HID (Human Interface Device)   Yes   Yes   No   No         6/4/2020 8:38:12 PM   6/4/2020 8:38:12 PM   0f0d   0719   0.00   03   00   00      DESKTOP-3PL9AVA         9&2815744b&0   HidUsb   @input.inf,%HID.SvcDesc%;Microsoft HID Class Driver   hidusb.sys      (Standard system devices)            USB Input Device   10.0.18362.175   HID_Inst.NT   input.inf   SurpriseRemovalOK   

XBOX_360_DEVICE_00:00   USB Input Device   HID (Human Interface Device)   Yes   Yes   No   No         6/4/2020 8:39:34 PM   6/4/2020 8:39:34 PM   24c6   5b00   0.00   03   00   00      DESKTOP-3PL9AVA         7&3766c46f&0   HidUsb   @input.inf,%HID.SvcDesc%;Microsoft HID Class Driver   hidusb.sys      (Standard system devices)            USB Input Device   10.0.18362.175   HID_Inst.NT   input.inf   SurpriseRemovalOK   

-Unplug the wheel, use it on 360 or whereever. It's not like I'll need those other controllers while I'm using my wheel on 360.
-Replug the wheel
-Re-enable all devices. The wheel will be first, the other devices will follow.

It works with command line too so I'm going to whip up some Autohotkey scripts where i can disable and enable those other devices with a keyboard command. If anyone ever needs to disable any usb devices and reenable them for any reason and want to use command line here's how http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/disable_enable_usb_device_command_line.html#:~:text=USBDeview%20is%20a%20freeware%20tool,from%20command%2Dline%20and%20GUI.

Jayinem

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 10:34:54 am »
Pretty cool I bought this for $10 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TZKGVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it late last night and it works like a charm having it hooked up to both my PC and Xbox 360 for my wheel. All I have to do is hit a button and it switchs them.