Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Simple single-player control panel.  (Read 1802 times)

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Simple single-player control panel.
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:19:57 pm »
It's been a while since I build anythin so I decided to build a 1 player CP that I can use with my PC and TV.

Starting with a model in Sketchup.

Underside:

Components:
  • Joystick: GGG OMNI2 (I know this isn't what the model shows)
  • Pushbuttons: Happ
  • Encoder: I-PAC 2

Overall dimensions:
Top: 1' 7/8" wide x 9 5/8" deep.
Base: 11 7/8" wide x 7 5/8" deep, 2 1/2" high at the front, 3 1/2" high in the back for a 7.5 degree angle.

Sides will be 1/2" material attached with pocket hole joints using a Kreg jig I bought for another project and never used. I've gone back and forth on the top, whether to just do 3/4" with a CPO or 5/8" with lexan or acrylic. At first I was going to do the lexan but reading other threads here steered me back towards just doing a straight CPO stuck on.

Material will probably be MDF, maybe MDO or plywood depending on what I find at Menards.

My unresolved issue is how to attach the bottom. I want a way to open it up to get inside the CP without tools so I can switch the joystick. Open to suggestions here.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Simple single-player control panel.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:21:22 pm »
Figure out a way to use magnets for the bottom.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:53:28 am
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:08:46 pm »
I used these for the back of my bartop. They work great. These are not available but others like it are.

J_K_M_A_N

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:19 pm »
Thanks. I was thinking of routing out a groove around the inside and having the bottom slide in like the bottom panel of a drawer, but I like the magnet latch idea better.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 04:34:07 pm »
Prototyped with crappy particle board to test layout and use of pocket hole joints with .5" material. Worked great. Decided not to curve the front in order to allow the interior to be a bit larger and fit the IPac2.

Works so well I'm not motivated to take it apart and build the real one.