Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Are Dynamic Marquees cool?

Yeah, very cool
20 (74.1%)
No
2 (7.4%)
Doesn't matter
5 (18.5%)
Tacos rule!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: June 14, 2020, 12:36:35 pm

Author Topic: Dynamic Marquee - poll and conversation  (Read 3936 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Dynamic Marquee - poll and conversation
« on: May 31, 2020, 12:36:35 pm »
Anyone remember when LED buttons or bartops were a new thing to the BYOAC crew? They were initially widely well received, but as time went on, and the novelty wore off, some opinions changed. I'm curious about dynamic marquees and what everyone thinks. The majority of the challenges of using a dynamic marquee have been cleared. The cost isn't a major hurdle, the artwork is available, and the software works. See here for an example:

So... what say you?

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Dynamic Marquee - poll and conversation
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:47:10 pm »
Get ready for it...

They make sense for a MAME cab.

When they were a bazillion dollars it was kind of stupid. I would see people say that an ipac was too expensive and in the same breath order up an 800 dollar marquee.

If I ever build another MAME cab, I might use one. The prices are reasonable now.

For me it is always proper controls and a good CRT first. Then artwork that makes sense.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 01:00:32 pm »
The thing is, if you care about it looking arcade accurate, cost is still a major hurdle.  Monitors are 16:9 and most marquees are not so you have to get it professionally cut, which can be expensive.  That being said I personally don't care that much and have been pondering designing a cab around a 16:9 marquee so it'd look right. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 01:07:04 pm »
He should spend more time making a front end that doesn’t look like a spreadsheet.

I don’t think I’ve noticed a marquee ever once I’m playing a game so eh whatever.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 01:19:02 pm »
When I get get one in the correct ratio for a reasonable price I'll do it. I think we will be there in a couple years.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:13:48 pm »
For the A1u 3/4 scale cabs it makes sense - You can get the 14.9" monitor shown in the video linked for $70 on Ebay ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-VGA-DVI-Controller-Board-kit-with-14-9inch-LCD-Screen-LTA149B780F-1280x390/114210513732 ) So cost is definitely getting much more reasonable and now having dual monitors is getting much easier to setup even on the rpi ( since the rpi 4 has dual HDMI ports ) So it's not like you are spending more for the marquee than you did for the build like it used to be - so can see where it will become more prevalent.  :dunno

And it makes a lot more sense than the LED buttons ever did ! For a full size cab it's probably a few years down the road since monitors with the proper dimensions for them are still much more costly.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 03:51:34 pm »
Enh.

I’d rather see improvements to controls and controllers that affect gameplay. Maybe I’m jaded now, but bling doesn’t impress me like it used to. But that’s just me.

The biggest issue I’ve had with dynamic marquees is that they physically look like tacked on items. Very few cabs have integrated it in a way that looks natural (Blip! comes to mind). The ones that do it best are ones that have the LCD marquee in hand as they design the cab so it’s integrated nicely and doesn’t look like an afterthought.

I dunno, I get wanting to have items to impress people when they see the cab for the first time, but I think ultimately for me, I want something that is going to let me play the games like the way I remember playing them. I’d rather spend good money on repro leaf joysticks.

I don’t begrudge anyone who wants a dynamic marquee - it’s just not for me.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 03:55:57 pm »
The failure of led buttons is partially on me.  The reason to do it is to have the used buttons like up, with the cabinet correct color depending upon which game you've loaded.  controls.dat kind of fell apart so there isn't a good way to get that data anymore.  I know headkaze has some solutions as does the guy that does ledblinky but honestly none of them, controls.dat included, are easy to use, ideal solutions. 

Point is, there was a useful purpose for them, it just kind of got lost along the way. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 03:57:28 pm »
He should spend more time making a front end that doesn’t look like a spreadsheet.

I don’t think I’ve noticed a marquee ever once I’m playing a game so eh whatever.
Right. Once you get past “Look, I was playing Pac-Man and it said ‘Pac-Man’ and now I’m playing Donkey Kong and it shows ‘Donkey Kong’!”, what is the real benefit?

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 06:16:50 pm »
If practicality is a concern you probably aren't building arcade cabinets in the first place.

Kaizen777

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2023, 01:39:15 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 06:42:26 pm »
Personally I can't wait to put a marquee in my full size cab.  Since my cab is already built, I'm being very picky about the sizing.  I reached out to over 25 vendors on alibaba.  Pricing is much better these days... around $330 shipped for the size I need.  But considering I paid $300 for the cab itself, still a bit hard for me to chew.  It's the most expensive least important thing you can get.  But the coolness factor is way up there... if for nothing more than it makes for an even more amazing display piece in your mancave / game room.  (Or in my case, manchild cave) 
I seriously considered picking up a used 25" LG ultrawide screen for $100, but those are still just too tall.  Wouldn't look right.  (though I'm sure some have used them and possibly built their cabs around it)  Just too tall.
No doubt lcd marquees are very economical to install in those cute arcade1up toys.  =D
And who cares who thinks it's cool or not.  If you think it's cool, like I do.  You do it.  ; )
It's all Blip's fault.  I saw that Blip cab years ago and I fell in love.
And the Mimic cab made me fall in love all over again, those bezels... but I just can't give up CRT to get the bezels.. not yet.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:47:06 pm by Kaizen777 »

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2022, 03:14:22 am
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 09:52:54 pm »
I've had one (masked 16:9) on one of my MAME cabs for about 10 years. It was most useful to me before I got my D9800 monitor, since I'd use it to display the marquee along with the scores that would otherwise be cut off on vertical games.

I recently grabbed one of meltman's cut monitors, but I haven't decided if I'll use that for a custom cabaret, or just keep it as a secondary display on my computer.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 11:50:27 pm »
If practicality is a concern you probably aren't building arcade cabinets in the first place.
If you like playing the original arcade games like you first experienced them, certainly it’s practical. Your keyboard and emulators can only go so far.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 08:34:04 am »
Led buttons failed because warm buttons are as appealing as a warm toilet seat.

:lol

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 10:45:12 am »
I’d say that LED buttons didn’t fail, still see tons of them and for some inexplicable and inexcusable reason they are convex!

Once the novelty wore off, I decided the only button I like lit is the coin up button.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 11:34:16 am »
I’d say that LED buttons didn’t fail, still see tons of them and for some inexplicable and inexcusable reason they are convex!

Once the novelty wore off, I decided the only button I like lit is the coin up button.
I think LED buttons are great when used to show user which buttons are active for the selected game. That’s how my MAME cab is set up.

Id like to think a majority of the users who implement them are doing it that way, but I have a feeling they’re just lighting them up like a slot machine.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 01:16:00 pm »
Led buttons failed because warm buttons are as appealing as a warm toilet seat.

:lol

If your buttons get warm call an electrician because you did something wrong. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 05:53:33 pm »
I have yet to touch an LED button that isn't noticeably warmer than ambient room temperature.  Though I'm sure all of you have magic LED buttons that are completely different than anything I've ever purchased or played in someone's home.

Dead buttons on a control panel are you own failing.  Or get better less timid guests that can actually manage to press a button to see what happens.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 06:15:48 pm »
I like them (obviously) for the ambience. I dont stare at it when I'm playing on my cabs but it's nice to see i when I look up at it. Sometimes I might browse games by marquee as I think they add something to the history of the game.

Would I buy another at 700 dollars. Nope. But at 200? Definitely.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 06:20:50 pm »
I have yet to touch an LED button that isn't noticeably warmer than ambient room temperature.  Though I'm sure all of you have magic LED buttons that are completely different than anything I've ever purchased or played in someone's home.

Dead buttons on a control panel are you own failing.  Or get better less timid guests that can actually manage to press a button to see what happens.

I just use the electric ice buttons and led kit.  I mean if you were playing for hours on end it might get a little warm but those bulbs aren't powerful enough to really put off much heat. 

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 07:12:53 pm »
Price and correct size is indeed two hurdles. It would be nice to program a 4-slot mini dynamic marquee. However, I am broke and no one has donated one to me.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 07:54:22 pm »
I'm a big dynamic marquee fan.

The appeal to me is that when I've left my cabinet running something like Joust, and I wander off to grab a sandwich... when I come back I feel like "Hey, I have a Joust!". 

A collector would disagree that I have any such thing, sure.  But an art package of bezel and marquee matching the game that is running - to me, that's most of the psychological difference between a dedicated cabinet and a conversion cab.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 10:06:42 pm »
Not a fan. Voted no.

Would rather have my cabinet have a cohesive theme throughout. Not a different marquee to what’s on the sides. Doesn’t matter what’s being played. When a cab has a mismatch of themes on it at any given time, it makes the thing look like all those conversion cabs from the ‘90’s. No thanks.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2020, 12:02:12 am »
Get ready for it...

They make sense for a MAME cab.

When they were a bazillion dollars it was kind of stupid. I would see people say that an ipac was too expensive and in the same breath order up an 800 dollar marquee.

If I ever build another MAME cab, I might use one. The prices are reasonable now.

For me it is always proper controls and a good CRT first. Then artwork that makes sense.

This-

If they ever got to be $150 for one that is the right size I would consider it for the multi-panel machine if it were to stay all black otherwise.

But like opt2not, I would still rather give my money to someone to make some really nice side and kick-panel art first though.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2020, 12:16:19 am »
Not a fan. Voted no.

Would rather have my cabinet have a cohesive theme throughout. Not a different marquee to what’s on the sides. Doesn’t matter what’s being played. When a cab has a mismatch of themes on it at any given time, it makes the thing look like all those conversion cabs from the ‘90’s. No thanks.

You could have a cohesive theme with a dynamic marquee. I could have my mvs-2-25 show 4 mini marquees and highlight selected one similar to a 4-slot model. If I had a capcom big blue, I might show short 2 second video clips of a fight waiting to start and overlay the game logo. MAME doesn't have to be CrapMAME. I designed an attract layout for my neo geo that resembles the unibios. Doesn't get any more cohesive than that!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 10:15:12 am »
Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to set up a dynamic marquee with MAME?  I've got an old computer and some monitors and I'm ready to start playing around with it but not sure what software I need.  I installed Windows 10 and MAME and I guess I have to use Hyperspin as my front end with the Hypermarquee plugin?  Is that it?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 11:20:41 am »
Launchbox/Bigbox can do marquees with very little configuration,  There are a number of threads over on their forums also a guide on youtube. search big box marquee setup. Failing that then yeah Hypermarquee and Hyperspin will definitely do the job, although Hyperspin can be a proper pain to get working correcly :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2020, 12:49:32 pm »
Launchbox/Bigbox can do marquees with very little configuration,  There are a number of threads over on their forums also a guide on youtube. search big box marquee setup. Failing that then yeah Hypermarquee and Hyperspin will definitely do the job, although Hyperspin can be a proper pain to get working correcly :)

Thanks.  I'll look into Launchbox/Bigbox - do you have to buy the license to get the feature?  Ultimately I'm looking for a VERY simple set up - power on the PC directly to one game list with the second monitor active for marquees only.  Press power again and it all shuts down.  Launchbox seems to have so many bells and whistles that I won't use at all.  I also want to hide all menus from the user so that no one can mess with settings, etc. 

I assume there are ways to easily do this because I cab't be the only one who doesn't want all the nonsense on screen like the game history, year it came out, etc.  Just give me the name of the game and maybe. screenshot in the background and that's it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 09:08:02 pm »

Thanks.  I'll look into Launchbox/Bigbox - do you have to buy the license to get the feature?  Ultimately I'm looking for a VERY simple set up - power on the PC directly to one game list with the second monitor active for marquees only.  Press power again and it all shuts down.  Launchbox seems to have so many bells and whistles that I won't use at all.  I also want to hide all menus from the user so that no one can mess with settings, etc. 

I assume there are ways to easily do this because I cab't be the only one who doesn't want all the nonsense on screen like the game history, year it came out, etc.  Just give me the name of the game and maybe. screenshot in the background and that's it.

Dude, lol. Your questions are the same questions I would ask before I throw my hands in the air and say "That's it! I'm going fishing!" I just recently saw some retropie frontend options and it had full video previews and was pretty slick. I don't really make time for learning new arcade stuff anymore so I'm often pleasantly surprised when I see the refinement in an area where I wasn't expecting any.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 11:17:40 pm »
Just for the record, mamehooker can do it as well and it has the benefit of being frontend independent. 

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2020, 12:04:38 am »
Just for the record, mamehooker can do it as well and it has the benefit of being frontend independent.

Yet ANOTHER reason to sort out making mamehooker work on my current WIP
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 10:09:00 am »

Dude, lol. Your questions are the same questions I would ask before I throw my hands in the air and say "That's it! I'm going fishing!" I just recently saw some retropie frontend options and it had full video previews and was pretty slick. I don't really make time for learning new arcade stuff anymore so I'm often pleasantly surprised when I see the refinement in an area where I wasn't expecting any.

haha yeah - I have to teach myself everything from scratch every time I want to do something because I don't do this stuff often enough to stay on top of it all.  Today I'm going to wire a power receptacle for probably the 4th or 5th time and I STILL have to watch a tutorial about it so I don't mess it up.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 12:25:45 pm »
Yeah, I watched a bunch of videos and although I can see the appeal I am happy with a regular marquee. The other option others went with was Hyperspeech. It just seemed like too much! I'd rather just play some games.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 10:24:46 pm »
To me dynamic marquees dont properly fit a theme unless you also have dynamic cabinet side art and dynamic control panel art.  ;)