Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xerobull's Two Player Dual Stick With Buttons Arcade Cabinet  (Read 1364 times)

Xerobull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 02:07:05 pm
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
I have always loved twin stick games, all the way back to Robotron 2084. I was playing another dual stick game, Tesla vs Lovecraft with my oldest son a few months ago on the Nintendo Switch, and thought, this would make an amazing arcade cabinet. Then I started thinking about all of the great dual-stick games that have come out in the past 10 years for consoles and PC and realized that there were enough to justify a good multicab. Easy, right? Just throw four sticks in a cab with a few buttons and Hyperspin as a front end...

Then I found a good list of 'Twin Stick Shooter Games Between 1800 and 2019'

After reading this list I realized that most shooters need at least one button, with several needing up to four. Then I realized that I would need four flight-stick style sticks instead. Then I realized that if I had this setup, I could do games like Vindicators! I did some more reading (here) and discovered that flight stick buttons fail pretty fast so I need quality.

Another thing I realized is that I need a GOOD sound system in this thing, since some of the games like Geometry Wars and Beat Hazard have some great music that is part of the game.

Here are my challenges:

• Cabinet Build: I was going to use my beat-to-hell 'Junkcade' cab but I realized that this will be a high traffic play in my game room and I want it to be nice. However, I don't want to do the carpentry on it since I don't really have the time and find some of the nuanced cuts frustrating. So I am going to buy a flat pack- any input on this would be appreciated.
  • Sound: Again, this needs to pump with some great base. The speakers will be more obvious on this cab
  • Joysticks: probably my biggest challenge. I want some nice, DURABLE flight sticks that move like regular joysticks. I'm leaning towards Ultimarc as their stuff is top notch. They actually have two: MinGrip at $25 and UltraStik Flight Stick at $79. I'm hoping that the lower cost one will work.
  • Lighting: I want this thing to pop (arcades should be loud and garish!), so I'm thinking of incorporating some sound-reactive LEDs. If I could somehow get the Flight Sticks I buy to be clear/opaque it would be a win.
  • Games & PC: I want to have a cross-section of games on this thing, so a good PC back end is key. I'll be listing the games as I can. Emulating PS3 needs muscle.

I did some reading on these forums and it seems that a few other folks have done this.  RESORUCES:

Controls for Robotron and 2 players?

Geometry Wars Dedicated Cab (uses joysticks and pedal for P1 button)

Using a digital flight stick as my primary joystick

A list of "double joystick" control (e.g Robotron) mame games?

Ultrastik 360 Flight Stick for Tron, Zaxxon, Gorf

Other resources:

3D-Printed Triggerstick Adapter:

Ordered one of these cheap flight stick joysticks from Amazon to tear down and use in a Proof of Concept design.

Any feedback is appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:21:50 pm by Xerobull »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:29:49 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Xerobull's Two Player Dual Stick With Buttons Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 01:19:03 pm »
You will probably set your machine on fire and smash it with a hammer after playing Robotron with flight sticks.

I understand the desire to play a bunch of stuff with one cab, But I think you will compromise too much with flight sticks.

I skimmed the comments for the second video.

The author had this to say:

It was fine for a tank style game but anything that required diagonals was annoying.  I eventually change the joysticks but attached the handles.

That should be a red flag.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 02:07:05 pm
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
Re: Xerobull's Two Player Dual Stick With Buttons Arcade Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 01:38:18 pm »
You will probably set your machine on fire and smash it with a hammer after playing Robotron with flight sticks.

I understand the desire to play a bunch of stuff with one cab, But I think you will compromise too much with flight sticks.

I skimmed the comments for the second video.

The author had this to say:

It was fine for a tank style game but anything that required diagonals was annoying.  I eventually change the joysticks but attached the handles.

That should be a red flag.

Yep, that's the biggest challenge IMO. I am going to ping Andy at Ultimarc and see what we can rig up. Thanks!!!

Edit: I asked the video author and he responded that they were cheap sticks from here: https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=399
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:44:22 pm by Xerobull »