Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help in figuring out how to upgrade an old MAME arcade machine....  (Read 679 times)

drpdrp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 07:43:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello, been a lurker for over 10 years and finally have a question I can't fully answer by just searching....

I own an old custom made MAME arcade machine that was given to me as a gift over a decade ago.  It has had minor issues, but has worked great.  I had to modify some wiring errors when I originally got it, it works, but there is some random pressing of keys from time to time (most likely something I ended up screwing up, but very inconsistent, so hard to troubleshoot)

The machine has a CRT monitor, 2 player 7 button configuration, trackball, spinner and 4way controller.  It all is hooked up to what looks like a first generation I-PAC via PS/2.  The monitor is connected to the PC via a ArcadeVGA card.

I've been itching in upgrading this machine for a while.  Main reason, is that this machine is too old to play some of the games a more modern version of MAME would play (heck the computer is so old, I don't even know if newer MAME would run (do they still make 32bit builds?).  Ultimate goal would be to get Marvel vs Capcom 2 working on this (one of my favorite games of all time) and maybe even SF4.  Also more SHMUPS would always be good.  Second reason is because I'm not sure the machine in there will last much longer (power supply is making an odd noise, and can't seem to find one that will replace it).

My main concern is with the arcade monitor.  The simple solution is to just get another ArcadeVGA and it should just work (famous last words).  However, I would like a video card with more power than the latest version of ArcadeVGA.  My understanding is that if I go with a different card, I will have to use something like a J-PAC to protect the monitor during the boot sequence or risk killing it.  At this point, I am lost, since I'm not sure what that means.   Do I have to purchase a JAMMA hardness and all that goes along with that too?  Do the controllers now need to be wired via the J-PAC too?  How does this all work?

If I do get a different video card what would be recommended? From the looks of it, life will be easier with an AMD card.  So that narrows things down.  I would like to run some more modern emulators (mainly anything that has fighting games, that MAME doesn't emulate well / at all) and maybe some PC games (SF4 being the only one that comes to mind right now, I know of a few SHMUPS too, but unsure if those would work on a CRT).  So what would be a well balanced card for that.  I'm still unsure if I need to stick with one that has DVI-I or will the firmware / software handle that.  If I do get something without DVI-I, what kind of adapter do I need (guessing a passive DVI to VGA wouldn't work).

My next thing is that, if I'm going to be using other emulators, then updating the I-PAC should be done (new modes would be very helpful).  This will give me more options and force me to rewire everything correctly.  I'm guessing what I need is the I-PAC 2, but wondering if there would be any advantages to getting the I-PAC Ultimate instead.

As far as PC is concern, I know MAME cares about core speed more than anything else.  I could build a new system, but unsure what would be best my setup.  I'm willing to spend money here.  Goal is to have it be strong enough to last me another 10 years or so (hoping the CRT can survive another decade).

Having said all that, I'm also ok with saying it's better to leave what I have alone and to start over.  I'm kind of over the CRT vs LCD battle and I will be ok with building a whole new arcade.  The current arcade does have some sentimental value, so I'm trying to preserve it, but I also don't want to lose my hair doing so... heh

Anyways, any help / advise would be appreciated. 

Thank you

drp