Main > Raspberry Pi & Dev Board

How to make a dedicated MAME 0.250 Appliance on a Raspberry Pi 4/Pi 400

<< < (77/81) > >>

mallard:
Does anyone have experience running this image with USB boot on a pi 4?

I've had lots of issues running on an SD card. Even when using safe shutdowns, the card seems to get corrupted over time and eventually refuses to boot unless I reflash the image.

Is this an inherent problem with SD cards? Or is it likely that my specific card has issues? Would USB booting fix this, and has anyone been able to flash and boot on a USB?

I'd really appreciate any help.

bbegin:

--- Quote from: mallard on December 11, 2022, 10:52:36 pm ---Does anyone have experience running this image with USB boot on a pi 4?

I've had lots of issues running on an SD card. Even when using safe shutdowns, the card seems to get corrupted over time and eventually refuses to boot unless I reflash the image.

Is this an inherent problem with SD cards? Or is it likely that my specific card has issues? Would USB booting fix this, and has anyone been able to flash and boot on a USB?

I'd really appreciate any help.

--- End quote ---

To answer your question, SD cards *do* wear over time as numerous write operations are done.

I took care of this problem, because the purpose of this image is to being used as an "appliance" style: power it on, use it (or not), power it off (or not, in use case of continuous operation). The SD card must *not*  wear over time. That's why I took care to put the system in read-only mode when in normal operation. Only the /data partition is in read/write mode, but the filesystem is adapted to flash (it uses the F2FS filesystem). Additionally, only the occasional writes operations requested by the emulator or the front-end are redirected to this partition. The whole Linux operating system is running in read-only mode. To make changes to Linux persistent (add, update or remove packages, for example), you first need to put the system in read/write mode, with the "rw" command.

Booting from a USB disk will only make it possible to use a magnetic hard disk, instead of flash.

I personally think your SD card is already worn-out, from previous uses or maybe defective.

I recommend use a new micro-SD card (avoid cheapest ones, if possible) and write the image file to it. You shouldn't run in any problem regarding the wear with this image.

I hope this helps.

bbegin:
Hi all,

It's been a little while since I published a new updated disk image!

I'm happy to let you know the availability of the NEW disk image file with MAME 0.250 (please see the original post of this thread for the download link).

Three (3) new features in this release:
- Sound volume is persistent;
- Automatic single-ROM launch at boot (called AutoROM mode) for dedicated cabinet/game (configure with the "frontend" command);
- No more need to put the system in read/write mode when using the "frontend" command.

Happy holidays!  :cheers:

abispac:
Any chance you can make this 15khz compatible, with vga666 and groovymame? Thanks for reading.

Substring:
If you go groovymame for 15kHz, please get in touch with me. You'd need some kernel patches + patched SDL2 for KMS modeswitching

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version