Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wall Mounted Arcade - Completed  (Read 3298 times)

MotoGP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 01:14:58 pm
Wall Mounted Arcade - Completed
« on: May 23, 2020, 09:19:56 pm »
This is my first design build from scratch.  I wanted another MAME system for my arcade that didn't take up a lot of space.  I designed this in Autodesk Fusion 3d.

It features a 32"  Smart TV so we can stream TV in the arcade when not playing games.
Back lit WS2811 LED strips controlled by an Arrduino with a web interface, There are 55 different patterns that can be adjusted in size, color speed for hundreds or thousands of combinations.
2.1 Stereo AMP.
IPAC2
Windows 10
LaunchBox / BigBox front end which is awesome!
Its attached to the wall with two brackets and the cabinet is just hanging there.

I plan to add 2 Bluetooth guns for shooter games.

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 11:34:39 am
Re: Wall Mounted Arcade - Completed
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 12:12:45 pm »
looks great, any build pictures ?

you mention bluetooth guns, care to share the ones you are going to use ??

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:42 pm »
looks great, any build pictures ?

you mention bluetooth guns, care to share the ones you are going to use ??

for the guns, I'm going to make my own but using Namco Guncon Light Gun Con Controller and for the bluetooth portion from Ultimarc.  For the IR bar use these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extreme-IR-Bar-for-Arcade-Light-Guns/192961040205.

tomton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:38:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:08:45 am »
Very nice!

What height from floor level is the CP and top edge of the screen?
Could you please say where/how did you hide IR blaster and elaborate a bit on your Arduino solution for controlling LEDs.

Thanks

MotoGP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:53:37 am »
Very nice!

What height from floor level is the CP and top edge of the screen?
Could you please say where/how did you hide IR blaster and elaborate a bit on your Arduino solution for controlling LEDs.

Thanks

Regarding the CP height, check out the attached screenshot.  The bottom of the cabinet is 15" above the floor. so the CP is 37-3/4" A.F.F.  The top of the screen is 19" above the CP.  You'll notice the total height of the cabinet is 48", the width of a sheet of MDF so I didn't need 2 sheets.  This is mainly for the kids but for me at 6'-2", sitting on a stool the heights seem just fine for me.

I haven't installed the IR bar yet but the plan is to double side tape it to the top of the TV.  I back painted the glass and masked out for the IR bar, it may be a little visible but I don't think it will be very noticeable behind the glass.

Regarding the LEDs, they are WS2812b smart strips.  They are controlled by an Arduino Wemos mini connected to my WiFi.  I used the WS2812FX library on github.  https://github.com/kitesurfer1404/WS2812FX

It is an amazing library and has a lot of cool effects.  Also with the web interface you can "split" the strips into two or 10 segments, all on the fly.  Each segment can have a different effect at the same time, very cool.

There is an example Web interface example and I changed it to simplify it and have a cleaner interface on a mobile device screen.  Also depending on your number of LEDs you need to adjust the speed more.

I've attached a screenshot of the web interface I'm using.

I'm powering the LEDs from the computer power supply.  I over-sized the power supply needed for the PC to run the LEDs, push button LEDs, and the speaker amp.  Regardless if I'm playing a game or watching TV, all of the sound comes from the two upper speakers and the sub-woofer in the door below.

Overall it was a pretty easy build, the cabinet went together very nicely.  I'm going to build two more for friends so maybe I'll document those builds a little better.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:56:22 am by MotoGP »

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 11:34:39 am
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 11:40:05 am »
Thanks for the gun info and build pics  :D

tomton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:38:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 06:06:24 am »
Thanks for all the info. This library for controlling LEDs is really cool  :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 06:02:28 pm »
Very nice woodworking, I can tell you put a lot of time into that.