Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Simultaneous mutliplayer joystick showcase cab ideas anyone?  (Read 3618 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
I want to build a Dynamo style showcase/pedestal cabinet for the 36" Trinitron I lucked into.

If this build plays even a half-dozen simultaneous multiplayer (2, 3, or 4 person) joystick/button games but does it well then all four of us in my house (and any of the poor suckers coming to my 50th birthday party in October) will be stoked.

My personal nostalgia rut steers me to games released prior to 1990 mostly but any wisdom on an uncrowded panel layout from those who have gone before me would be greatly appreciated.

Seems like even just 4 joysticks with 3 buttons each would accommodate a lot of fun multiplayer games.

My greatest concern is just what joysticks to put in this thing from a playability standpoint?

I have U360s in my first build and those would be acceptable (even if the feel isn't 100% satisfactory) but I would be happy to hear from anyone about 49 ways comparatively.

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Simultaneous mutliplayer joystick showcase cab ideas anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:23:23 am »
Unless there are specific games you have in mind for the 49 way sticks, just go with 8 way sticks.

2 buttons covers the vast majority of those 3 or 4 player games. 3 buttons covers all but a few games.

You might want to include more buttons for P1 and P2 if you want to play fighting games. They are popular if you regularly have guests.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:24:34 am »
Unless there are specific games you have in mind for the 49 way sticks, just go with 8 way sticks.

2 buttons covers the vast majority of those 3 or 4 player games. 3 buttons covers all but a few games.

You might want to include more buttons for P1 and P2 if you want to play fighting games. They are popular if you regularly have guests.

Thanks for the input.

You're right about the 49 ways I think.  I was obsessing on playing the later two Gauntlets (since the original is such a favorite) but not enough to hijack a whole panel control-wise.

Four good quality 8 way leaf switch sticks it shall be.

This machine is mostly for weekly 4 person family game night fiascos but a Mortal Kombat button layout for P1 and P2 is a great idea.  P3 and P4 can have 3 each.

Now that I look (I never played MK or Tekken and the like BITD) I am surprised to see the original button layouts for those games vs. what most people appear to build.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:21:01 am »
3 buttons pretty much covers it unless you want to play the Capcom D&D games... those need four.  Honestly they are pretty good games and they might be worth it.  If you go that route put them in a diamond pattern instead of the typical neo-geo one row of four deal... that'll make the button placement more accurate for the vast majority of games. 

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 04:17:12 am »
3 buttons pretty much covers it unless you want to play the Capcom D&D games... those need four.  Honestly they are pretty good games and they might be worth it.  If you go that route put them in a diamond pattern instead of the typical neo-geo one row of four deal... that'll make the button placement more accurate for the vast majority of games.

Thanks Howard.  I haven't played those Capcom games (yet!) but they do look fun.
A few buttons is no deal breaker even for one as Frankenpanel averse as me- so 4 buttons for P3 and P4 it is then.

And I am assuming that by diamond you mean something like Vanguard style (but maybe with a slight tilt?)
I'll have to dig around to try to find an original control panel image for a reference.

I can say that the more I build the more I appreciate control and button arrangement that is faithful to original when possible.

Tarma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2023, 05:50:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 03:36:43 pm »
The Dungeons & Dragons games are great! If you're a fan of brawling games they are must haves. Especially if you played the rpg back in the day you'll love the art - the creatures look just like in the Monster Manual.

The Knights of Valor series is another 4 player brawler you may enjoy that also requires 4 buttons. Basically it's D&D in Medieval China.

slickam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 02:48:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:33 pm »
The Oriental Legend series and The Gladiator are also 4 player brawlers that need 4 buttons. They're by the same company that did Knights of Valour.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 01:41:37 am »
The Dungeons & Dragons games are great! If you're a fan of brawling games they are must haves. Especially if you played the rpg back in the day you'll love the art - the creatures look just like in the Monster Manual.

The Knights of Valor series is another 4 player brawler you may enjoy that also requires 4 buttons. Basically it's D&D in Medieval China.

Wouldn't say I was a brawler aficionado yet, but I absolutely was a dice roller kid back in the 80's so that is cool to hear.

The Oriental Legend series and The Gladiator are also 4 player brawlers that need 4 buttons. They're by the same company that did Knights of Valour.

Those all sound good and even more reasons for those 4 button groups.  Showing my age- I need to look up these games.

I had been on the fence for what to do for graphic theme but it is starting to feel like medieval brawler will be the character of build #3.

Thanks y'all for helpful replies in support of this machine!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 08:03:08 am »
Now that I look (I never played MK or Tekken and the like BITD) I am surprised to see the original button layouts for those games vs. what most people appear to build.

Stick with the standard "Straight 6"  Street Fighter layout for P1 & P2.  Just map both middle buttons to Block on Mortal Kombat.  Some people add a 7th button for "run" in MK3 and to have the "Neo Geo 4 in a row".
In my experience, MK3 doesn't get played nearly as much as MK2.  You can still make one of the middle buttons run and the other block.  On the Neo Geo games I have come to prefer hitting the first button in the bottom row with my thumb for the 4th button rather than using a 4th button in the same row.  This is after making a neo geo themed cab with four buttons in the top row.  I mostly use the 7th button for "tag" in all games that have a tag team feature. To reiterate I recommend the usual straight 6 button layout with concave buttons.  I did something else and don't care for it as much.

If I were building a 4 player pedestal, I'd use IL Eurosticks in 4 different colors.  Leaf joysticks might be better, but the IL is closer to what I remember playing these types of games with as a kid.
(They probably had Happ Comps in them, but I prefer the Eurostick)
Edit: revisiting the IL Eurostick, it appears they make some pretty cool colors nowadays that could make for a more original looking CP than the old yellow/red/blue/green player layout: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/controls/levers/levers-il-industrias-lorenzo/710-il-eurojoystick-series

Also, heed the pic in my signature.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:09:48 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 03:26:18 pm »
My advice, for what it's worth.... either build a 4 player beat-em-up cab or a 2 player street fighter cab.  Don't build a 4 player street fighter cab.   There's just too many buttons.  My decades on this forum have  taught me that you don't want a jack of all trades, you want a few cabs covering the major genres and then if you have the space some dedicated machines of your choice.   

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 03:57:25 pm »
BadMouth speaks the truth
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 06:04:29 am »

Stick with the standard "Straight 6"  Street Fighter layout for P1 & P2.  Just map both middle buttons to Block on Mortal Kombat.  Some people add a 7th button for "run" in MK3 and to have the "Neo Geo 4 in a row".
In my experience, MK3 doesn't get played nearly as much as MK2.  You can still make one of the middle buttons run and the other block.  On the Neo Geo games I have come to prefer hitting the first button in the bottom row with my thumb for the 4th button rather than using a 4th button in the same row.  This is after making a neo geo themed cab with four buttons in the top row.  I mostly use the 7th button for "tag" in all games that have a tag team feature. To reiterate I recommend the usual straight 6 button layout with concave buttons.  I did something else and don't care for it as much.

If I were building a 4 player pedestal, I'd use IL Eurosticks in 4 different colors.  Leaf joysticks might be better, but the IL is closer to what I remember playing these types of games with as a kid.
(They probably had Happ Comps in them, but I prefer the Eurostick)
Edit: revisiting the IL Eurostick, it appears they make some pretty cool colors nowadays that could make for a more original looking CP than the old yellow/red/blue/green player layout: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/controls/levers/levers-il-industrias-lorenzo/710-il-eurojoystick-series

Haha!
Holy crap-
I'm glad I asked for some advice (and happy that you all in particular have seen this and taken the time to reply- so thank you.)

Is there a place I can see a pic of the button layout you are suggesting Badmouth?  I see so much of the (obviously more comfortable) 6 button array with an arc to it that I am not sure to drill that or a squared grid of 6 (or 7?).

Sorry to be so dim.  There have been rather large blank spaces in my video game life since 1988.

I will certainly check out those sticks.
I was excited to think there was a supplier out on this little rock and after the first I ordered from them Susan had to let me know they moved back to Minnesota.
Nice people.

My advice, for what it's worth.... either build a 4 player beat-em-up cab or a 2 player street fighter cab.  Don't build a 4 player street fighter cab.   There's just too many buttons.  My decades on this forum have  taught me that you don't want a jack of all trades, you want a few cabs covering the major genres and then if you have the space some dedicated machines of your choice.   

A lot of wisdom in this thread I see-

Looks like I will wind up with 4 MAME cabs here then (cocktail cab for the dining room and then the mulit-panel monster, a 2 player fighter and a 4 player showcase in the Pouty-House) when I can get my act together- since it is obvious all of you gentlemen speak the truth (as Yotsuya indicates.)

The real problem is the space/time continuum at this point-

Mahalo nui loa everyone!

Bobby

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 09:08:39 pm »
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

I disagree with their opinion about straight layouts.
I did curved and on games with more than 3 buttons I lose track of where my fingers are and look down to reset them.  Never had that problem with my old x-arcade tankstick with a sraight 6 layout and concave buttons.  Have a look at an x-arcade for reference.
I would put the buttons closer together than street fighter though.

There have been arguments over curved vs straight layouts with nobody having their minds changed.  This is my $.02 after having both.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:10:21 pm by BadMouth »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 11:37:57 pm »
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

I disagree with their opinion about straight layouts.
I did curved and on games with more than 3 buttons I lose track of where my fingers are and look down to reset them.  Never had that problem with my old x-arcade tankstick with a sraight 6 layout and concave buttons.  Have a look at an x-arcade for reference.
I would put the buttons closer together than street fighter though.

There have been arguments over curved vs straight layouts with nobody having their minds changed.  This is my $.02 after having both.

Ahhh... yes, the slagcoin pages.

Seems like most of what I see built and posted follows one of their arced layouts.

I have to agree with you about straight button layout though (and I think tighter spacing is a good idea also.)

Still funny to see 2 different versions for what appear to (both) be original Mortal Kombat panels though!

I think I agonize too much over the authenticity/ how many games you can play with it conundrum.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 06:33:06 am »
You keep referring to the Straight 6 Street Fighter layout as the Mortal Kombat layout.  Here is the MK layout.  Not good for much except MK.  You might have picked up a pic of an MK themed DIY control panel. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:35:34 am by BadMouth »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 04:06:49 am »
You must be right Badmouth.
I think I keep stumbling on various custom hybrids.

Fleabay seems to be full of those straight 6 button with MK graphics ones at times.

I'll have to see what I can come up with for mine artwork wise.

It is another aspect of the hobby I have yet to dive into.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 11:09:51 am »
But hey, with the mortal kombat layout you are all set to play wwf wrestlemania and biofreaks.  ;)

Tiby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2023, 01:13:15 pm
  • My "job" is to use lasers... How cool is that!?
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 01:20:00 pm »

Before finding this sub, and all the details of everything, the "FAIL" is how I originally  built my CP. I didn't realize that was what was causing issues for me when playing and things just feeling "off." I just recently took apart the CP for painting and I've changed the orientation of my sticks. I'm guessing once I have it all back together again and playing, that it will feel right.

JRobATL

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2022, 10:20:34 am
  • Completed - Tron Legacy
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162637.0.html
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 09:37:15 pm »

Wholeheartedly agree. D&D could be a great family video game option. (Depending on your family) :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:42:46 pm by JRobATL »